Narrowed it down.. SVS, eD, Rythmik

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Well Ive whittled down my list to 3 subs... I am having a very hard time deciding...

1) SVS PC12-NSD
+Form factor make placement easy
+I would be supporting a local company.

2) Elemental Designs A5-350
+Comes with isolating feet, eliminating the needs for a "sub dude" type device.

3) Rythmik FV15
+At the high end of my budget (depending on cost of shipping it might exceed budget)
+Maybe the best for mix between music and movies.

If anyone has any real world usage with any of these please chime in... i cant decide... :/

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
I know you've got it "narrowed down"...

but the VTF-3 MK3 (which I have) is in the same price range and (from what I've heard) very comperable to that eD and SVS. The "feet" on it are also designed to de-couple from the floor... but I doubt the feet on either it or the eD will really be enough (it looks to me like the de-coupler from eD is extra, and I couldn't see the feet on the website).

I'm not as experienced as many of the guys on the site, but I can tell you that my VTF-3 has enough power to make my walls and floor groan and sounds - to me - pretty great doing it. I added a second, but unless you're trying to pressurize your entire house (like I have to), one would do you.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I would go for the Rythmik personally out of that list!

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I own the SVS you speak of...and I really like it. It's not boomy in my room at all and seems to actually be "quieter" most of the time than my old sub-until it is called upon to truly make some noise. It does have it's limits...the first Transformers movie comes to mind when, towards the end they shoot the missiles and the one transformer does the jump/flip in slow-mo...if you really turn it up, I wouldn't say it's distorting, but you can tell there's more bass than it's putting out (I don't think it can go quite low enough). However, keep in mind that although I have mine in a corner, it's in an open floor design with 1250sq of space and 9ft ceilings...so ~11250 cubic feet. That's a lot of room to fill and it does it quite admirably. I would love to put it in a smaller space (or get another one :) ). Anyway, just a positive vote for the SVS. They were also very easy to work with and helpful pre purchase with any questions I had. I'm sure the other companies probably are as well.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The Rythmik has the best sound IMO, but one major variable that's missing is your room size...

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
His dimensions here:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=786887&postcount=1

I dunno how high his ceiling is though.
Thanks for posting that for me...

My ceilings are 8'

and something that isn't represented on my drawing, the area to the right of the area marked 13' extends into the foyer (sp?), another 12'...

Thanks to the guys that are taking this journey with me... and the help is MUCH appreciated...

Its a big expense and i down ant to regret it...

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I own the SVS you speak of...and I really like it. It's not boomy in my room at all and seems to actually be "quieter" most of the time than my old sub-until it is called upon to truly make some noise.
It's somewhat ironic, but the better your sub, the quieter it sounds!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd probably go with the Rythmik.

"Isolating feet" won't do the same thing as an Auralex Gramma. I had feet on my previous sub too and the Gramma still made a huge difference.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Another vote for the Rythmik as I have the 12" and really like it.

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
I got eaten up over on AVS for saying that the Rythmik FV15HP will sound better than a SVS Ultra 13. I did say the SVS, from what I have read, will sound sloppier? Is this an unjust statement?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Well you shouldn't say things like that if you don't have any data to back it up (and you should still say it's just your opinion since it is), and it's also not a good idea to state opinions as facts.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I got eaten up over on AVS for saying that the Rythmik FV15HP will sound better than a SVS Ultra 13. I did say the SVS, from what I have read, will sound sloppier? Is this an unjust statement?
If you heard both and say that in your opinion the Rythmik sounds better, I don't think anyone can reasonably attack you for that.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
sloppy implies a negative connotation. even if the rythmik is just a little bit cleaner it doesnt make tje svs sloppy - far from it

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
Anymore updates? Sounds like you're down to the SVS or the Rythmik...

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
sloppy implies a negative connotation. even if the rythmik is just a little bit cleaner it doesnt make tje svs sloppy - far from it
I stated it based off what I have read and in comparrison to the Rythmik. Does the SVS sound at tight and controlled as the Rythmik? If I say something is sloppier than something else... that does not imply that it is indeed BAD. I have read that the SVS sound loose and boomy in comparrison to other subs.

How many people on these forums have heard every single speaker or subs that they are giving their opinions on? I would bet 90% or more have not. Most of us go by what we have read and try to share what we have learned in the process with others. How many of you were in WWI or WWII? I bet you would claim to know a lot about those wars even though you were not there. How can you do that? You read about. We all make mistakes here and there, but these forums get out of control fast. I thought it was kind of amusing... I went into the SVS owners forum, sure enough, everyone that attacked me owned that SVS. Who knew that bass heads were so sensitive? I think some of these guy need to get some tail in the worst way possible. For the record, I wish I had an SVS Ultra 13.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
You should just drop it. It doesn't help the original poster really. You don't have the SVS, so you don't know about it. I don't have the Rythmik, hence I didn't comment on it. And I know you weren't responding to anything I said. Perhaps though, you (and others) should take that advice...speak only of that which you know of. I'll consider it a successful post if there is no direct response to it-that means you (and anyone else) will have gotten the point-help the OP, not bicker amongst yourselves.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis