My goodbye to dirt motorcycle riding.

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Hello guys,
Yesterday, I gave up track riding once and for all. It all started when I was 5, my uncle was a HUGE bike fanatic, and wanted to get me interested in it. I always thought since he got me one that they were scary, and later on "a death sentence on two wheels." Yesterday, I had a bad accident on the bike yesterday. The bike wasn't even hurt, but I was thrown 10 feet away from the bike, flying and hitting the ground with much force. My helmet was cracked badly, my left leg and my left side towards my stomach had huge bruises on them, etc. I was probably going about 30 MPH, when I made the bad decision of making a sharp turn before slowing down. I lost control of the bike, and was thrown of it, flying and aggressively hitting the ground as it happened. I took off my helmet, and threw up, as I just felt sick and terrible after the accident, and my aunt and uncle came to help. I said to my uncle that I was done with bike riding, I had never liked it ever since I was 5, and he listed it on Craigslist for me. So, @Drunkpenguin @speakerman39 @Danzilla31 @lovinthehd @panteragstk @Swerd @Out-Of-Phase @ , join this thread if you'd like.
Thanks,
Ryan

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Hello guys,
Yesterday, I gave up track riding once and for all. It all started when I was 5, my uncle was a HUGE bike fanatic, and wanted to get me interested in it. I always thought since he got me one that they were scary, and later on "a death sentence on two wheels." Yesterday, I had a bad accident on the bike yesterday. The bike wasn't even hurt, but I was thrown 10 feet away from the bike, flying and hitting the ground with much force. My helmet was cracked badly, my left leg and my left side towards my stomach had huge bruises on them, etc. I was probably going about 30 MPH, when I made the bad decision of making a sharp turn before slowing down. I lost control of the bike, and was thrown of it, flying and aggressively hitting the ground as it happened. I took off my helmet, and threw up, as I just felt sick and terrible after the accident, and my aunt and uncle came to help. I said to my uncle that I was done with bike riding, I had never liked it ever since I was 5, and he listed it on Craigslist for me. So, @Drunkpenguin @speakerman39 @Danzilla31 @lovinthehd @panteragstk @Swerd @Out-Of-Phase @ , join this thread if you'd like.
Thanks,
Ryan

Yeah, if you are afraid of it or nervous about riding it, then you should get off of it. I rode a dirt bike for a bit. But never spent enough time on it to get comfortable enough to stick to it or do the maneuvers/speed it required. I stuck to ATV's and snowmobiles. Street bikes, I'm fine with. Just never got comfortable on dirt bikes. Glad you made the decision before you ended up in the hospital. Have you been evaluated for a concussion? Just to be safe?

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, if you are afraid of it or nervous about riding it, then you should get off of it. I rode a dirt bike for a bit. But never spent enough time on it to get comfortable enough to stick to it or do the maneuvers/speed it required. I stuck to ATV's and snowmobiles. Street bikes, I'm fine with. Just never got comfortable on dirt bikes. Glad you made the decision before you ended up in the hospital. Have you been evaluated for a concussion? Just to be safe?
No concussion. Everything's good there. Mostly bruises on my legs and rib area.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
No concussion. Everything's good there. Mostly bruises on my legs and rib area.
Confidence is key trust your instincts if you've never felt good doing off then stop. Any hesitation or uncertainty on a bike can be life or death. A close friend of mine died in a terrible motorcycle accident when I was younger so I'm biased on this because the accident left quiet a mark on me. I won't go 50 feet neat any bike period but that's just me and how I feel. Just glad your okay my friend!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I finally swore off bicycles in much the same way. After my third major cycling accident, the last one resulting in an ACL reconstruction and significant meniscus damage, I decided two-wheeled vehicles were not in my future. I miss riding a lot, but not enough to risk more injuries.

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Confidence is key trust your instincts if you've never felt good doing off then stop. Any hesitation or uncertainty on a bike can be life or death. A close friend of mine died in a terrible motorcycle accident when I was younger so I'm biased on this because the accident left quiet a mark on me. I won't go 50 feet neat any bike period but that's just me and how I feel. Just glad your okay my friend!
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. I've stopped motorcycles... for a long while or forever. I'd much rather drive a Chevy or Ford truck! My favorite!

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
I finally swore off bicycles in much the same way. After my third major cycling accident, the last one resulting in an ACL reconstruction and significant meniscus damage, I decided two-wheeled vehicles were not in my future. I miss riding a lot, but not enough to risk more injuries.
I agree. That accident must've been bad! You had a lot worse crash than me it seems like!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What kind of track riding were you doing? Glad you're okay. You may change your mind down the road, sometimes ya just gotta ride that horse again. I still ride mountain bikes on technical singletrack and I have had some gnarly crashes; for a while after a crash I'll be a little more cautious until the confidence comes back, though. Much rather crack a helmet than my head, too (have gone thru a couple). What keeps my off my bike is my uncooperative knee now and then....just an old knee injury/surgery (bunch of meniscus removed) that complains now and then. Maybe a regular bike is in your future?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Glad to hear you survived your last ride without broken bones or a concussion.

My brother used to work at a hospital that was the regional trauma center. Every weekend he was on-call he would see motorcycle accident victims. Everyone who worked there, from the EMTs in the ambulances to the surgeons & radiologists, called them "organ donors".

I owned a street bike, for less than a year, and generally loved it. I was in Pensacola, Florida where the weather was generally good. I was in the Navy at the time and I needed wheels for about 6 months. Gradually I learned to look out for rain, railroad tracks, and ALL CARS. Sold it as I left to go overseas. I guess that was enough to get it out of my system.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Sorry about your accident. I never did get into much dirt bike riding, although I did own two dirt motorcycles back in the day.

Currently, I am still riding a road bike and a mountain bike. I'm afraid my addiction to riding is just too strong to let it go. :)

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Sorry about your accident. I never did get into much dirt bike riding, although I did own two dirt motorcycles back in the day.

Currently, I am still riding a road bike and a mountain bike. I'm afraid my addiction to riding is just too strong to let it go. :)
Yes, street bike riding is ironically much safer. I think dirt bikes are not very safe to ride.

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
What kind of track riding were you doing? Glad you're okay. You may change your mind down the road, sometimes ya just gotta ride that horse again. I still ride mountain bikes on technical singletrack and I have had some gnarly crashes; for a while after a crash I'll be a little more cautious until the confidence comes back, though. Much rather crack a helmet than my head, too (have gone thru a couple). What keeps my off my bike is my uncooperative knee now and then....just an old knee injury/surgery (bunch of meniscus removed) that complains now and then. Maybe a regular bike is in your future?
I was riding around in my aunt and uncle's pasture and woods. I crashed after turning too abruptly with the bike going too fast. Thank God I had a helmet on. :)

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Glad to hear you survived your last ride without broken bones or a concussion.

My brother used to work at a hospital that was the regional trauma center. Every weekend he was on-call he would see motorcycle accident victims. Everyone who worked there, from the EMTs in the ambulances to the surgeons & radiologists, called them "organ donors".

I owned a street bike, for less than a year, and generally loved it. I was in Pensacola, Florida where the weather was generally good. I was in the Navy at the time and I needed wheels for about 6 months. Gradually I learned to look out for rain, railroad tracks, and ALL CARS. Sold it as I left to go overseas. I guess that was enough to get it out of my system.
Phew. Regional trauma is a tough job. I like street bike riding, just not old enough yet. I'm okay thank God, helmets can do a lot. :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Ryan just very glad that you are okay. Accidents can have disastrous results. You probably should take it a bit easy for a few days. Hope that you get to feeling better.Will keep you in my prayers. :)

Cheers,

Phil

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Nothing like some hurt to make you question the fun vs pain. :) In my mid 30s and especially now in my 40s, it takes forever to heal. I seldom ride anymore except on quads in the sand. :)

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Ryan just very glad that you are okay. Accidents can have disastrous results. You probably should take it a bit easy for a few days. Hope that you get to feeling better.Will keep you in my prayers. :)

Cheers,

Phil
Thank you for the prayers Mr. Phil. I'm glad I'm okay, too!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nothing like some hurt to make you question the fun vs pain. :) In my mid 30s and especially now in my 40s, it takes forever to heal. I seldom ride anymore except on quads in the sand. :)
Wait until your 50's rolls around. Things really change and fast. I am still trying to figure out what the heck happened. Hence, I got aches and pains in places I did not even know that I had! No kidding. ;)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis