My First Concert- What was Yours?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I dig Cheap Trick. Met Bun E. and Rick. And so much more crunchy live.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Chicago was the main band. a group named Steely Dan opened.
on my 14th Birthday- my big brother took me up to Dania, Florida
on his motorcycle.
best birthday ever.
Cheers, Mac

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Nov 1993 = Depeche Mode at Key Arena
May 1994 = Tool at Kitsap County Fairgrounds

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Rolling Stones, June 1966, in Washington, DC. The sound was terrible in that old place.
I was 17 and had graduated high school earlier that month.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My first experience with the Grateful Dead was at Duke University (Durham, NC) in May or June 1970.

Saw them again in March 1976 in Springfield, MA and May 1977 in Hartford, CT.

Nothing else came close to a Grateful Dead concert.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
REO Speedwagon, 1981.

Unfortunately, one of the guys in the group I went with passed away from COVID-19 about a month ago (as I understand it, he had no known risk factors).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Depends on what you consider a concert. My parents were in bands when I was growing up and every year we'd have a Woodstock style get together in my back yard (huge back yard). All of their musician friends, significant others, college buddies... it was a lot of people and a big deal for us. We'd build a stage out of cinder blocks and scrap lumber, had the equipment, lighting and everyone would take turns playing over the course of the weekend into the wee hours of the morning.

My first "real" concert was "Clash of the Titans" with Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer. Alice in Chains was the opening act!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Ozzfest, June 15, 1997 was my first concert. Lots of bands I still listen to and love to this day played: Type O Negative, Marilyn Manson, Pantera, and Fear Factory among others.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Ozzfest, June 15, 1997 was my first concert. Lots of bands I still listen to and love to this day played: Type O Negative, Marilyn Manson, Pantera, and Fear Factory among others.
I did see Pantera once as well, got one of Dimebag’s picks. RIP

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Chicago was the main band. a group named Steely Dan opened.
on my 14th Birthday- my big brother took me up to Dania, Florida
on his motorcycle.
best birthday ever.
Cheers, Mac
Saw Chicago a couple times, but never saw Steely Dan. So cool you got to see them early.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
So cool. I went to a few concerts at the Swing. I did see that tour with Steppenwolf. Mine had Three Dog Night and Black Pearl at the Anaheim Convention Center. I was friends with Goldy McJohn on face book when I was on there. He remembered the gig and that Wolfman Jack was the MC. I think the last concert I saw at the Swing was The Pretenders. It was the original group.
Its fascinating to see a post like this, follow a few bread crumbs back 50 years, and then find someone else who saw the same stuff in the same place. That's pretty incredible when you think of it. I was just a punk kid that loved music and this was my first shot at a date (that's awesome) and at seeing a live concert. That my parents let us go is still amazing to me. That her parents let me take her is a freakin' miracle (or gigantic parental oversite).

Things I remember about the show. First off, I believe either The Grass Roots or Steppenwolf themselves was delayed getting to the concert by traffic/car problems. Imagine that, traffic delays in Southern California. They were very late getting started. Lots of the warm up bands to fill in. Second, the light show was my first experience with such a thing. I think it was from a company called Dried Paint or somesuch. it was like projecting lava lamps on to the curtain behind the bands. I was impressed but I'm pretty sure it wasn't really all that impressive.

Ms Love (my date) and I had a great time but we were a bit overwhelmed by the audience and atmosphere. Steppenwolf drew a serious crowd even though the Grass Roots were bubble gummers by today's standards.
I was hooked on concerts forever after this experience. I have loved my "Steppenwolf Live" album for 50 years.
I still have some 1/2 dozen Grass Roots songs I play occasionally.

Your name sounds so very familiar to me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Its fascinating to see a post like this, follow a few bread crumbs back 50 years, and then find someone else who saw the same stuff in the same place. That's pretty incredible when you think of it. I was just a punk kid that loved music and this was my first shot at a date (that's awesome) and at seeing a live concert. That my parents let us go is still amazing to me. That her parents let me take her is a freakin' miracle (or gigantic parental oversite).

Things I remember about the show. First off, I believe either The Grass Roots or Steppenwolf themselves was delayed getting to the concert by traffic/car problems. Imagine that, traffic delays in Southern California. They were very late getting started. Lots of the warm up bands to fill in. Second, the light show was my first experience with such a thing. I think it was from a company called Dried Paint or somesuch. it was like projecting lava lamps on to the curtain behind the bands. I was impressed but I'm pretty sure it wasn't really all that impressive.

Ms Love (my date) and I had a great time but we were a bit overwhelmed by the audience and atmosphere. Steppenwolf drew a serious crowd even though the Grass Roots were bubble gummers by today's standards.
I was hooked on concerts forever after this experience. I have loved my "Steppenwolf Live" album for 50 years.

Dean Koontz is a popular author and I've read quite a few of his books. I've always though of him as the west coast Stephen King, as his stories are in the same genre but always set in California instead of Maine.

That was the first thing that popped in my head upon seeing op's name.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic

My first date was Jethro Tull and JoJo Gunne in 1972. Aqualung tour. I did like Love for Today by the Grassroots. Saw them for free at a fair way back.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Dean Koontz is a popular author and I've read quite a few of his books. I've always though of him as the west coast Stephen King, as his stories are in the same genre but always set in California instead of Maine.

That was the first thing that popped in my head upon seeing op's name.
Wish I had his money. New amp, speakers and sub for sure.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I did see Pantera once as well, got one of Dimebag’s picks. RIP
It was nuts, we had lawn tickets, and it was at the old Giants Stadium that has since been torn down. I remember walking into the field through rows and rows of ambulances lined up. I thought we were going to die when Pantera played. People were jumping down from the seats to try and run into the pit. It was a long fall, a number of them were drunk and defintiely broke or sprained something. They'd jump, hit the ground, fall, try to stand, fall again, and then get tackled by security. It became one giant moshpit in the field. People were coming out of the pit just pouring blood through t-shirts held over their faces.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Great tour for the Eagles. They were at Cal Jam 1 when I first saw them. 1974. Then in 1980. I think you saw the best tour.
Yes I think so although in seen them in 94 on the helol freeze’s over tour too and it’s kind of a toss up for me .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis