My attempt at fixing the NAD 2700THX

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes I really enjoy when it ends up like this; it seems we were both right, but speaking of different spikes. Sharp spikes underneath the speaker stands and underneath SW are meant to anchor the speaker. But then, there's this type, which I was talking about;
Still looks pretty silly to me. I'd just use a rubber pad or what I usually put underneath a speaker on a stand....museum putty/blu-tac.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just seems silly to take up your carpeting to slide a puck underneath....
It does, but I think they're meant for bare floors. I wouldn't be able to put heavy-ish speakers on nice wooden floors (or stone) and have pointy spikes in contact. Not gonna happen. I didn't put spikes on the speakers I built, either- right on the carpet and I think they sound good that way.

Put your pucks on a shelf with your record clamp. :)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
museum putty/blu-tac.
AAaaarrrrgh, come on! :D:D:D:D No one is THAT casual with audio. You can't really mean you would put blue-tac underneath your equipment...?!

I wouldn't mind a rubber disk and I think it'll be just that in the end. But something that sticks...?! :p Nah...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
AAaaarrrrgh, come on! :D:D:D:D No one is THAT casual with audio. You can't really mean you would put blue-tac underneath your equipment...?!

I wouldn't mind a rubber disk and I think it'll be just that in the end. But something that sticks...?! :p Nah...
Absolutely one of the best things to keep a speaker on a stand, but don't put it under electronics, not sure why you thought that. Almost every stand I have has such in use (one pair has some rubber built into it's "grips" for tilting purposes). It doesn't stick as much as it just doesn't move once in place, and you can even tilt the stand quite a bit without fear of the speaker falling off. It peels off fairly easily and leaves no trace.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It does, but I think they're meant for bare floors. I wouldn't be able to put heavy-ish speakers on nice wooden floors (or stone) and have pointy spikes in contact. Not gonna happen. I didn't put spikes on the speakers I built, either- right on the carpet and I think they sound good that way.

Put your pucks on a shelf with your record clamp. :)
I have spikes but no pucks, I feel like I'm missing out like with the clamps. :) I can't imagine using spikes even on carpeting, never had the need.

highfigh

highfigh

I have spikes but no pucks, I feel like I'm missing out like with the clamps. :) I can't imagine using spikes even on carpeting, never had the need.
I don't like the idea of tearing the mesh backing, either. Once that goes, the rest isn't far behind.

Here ya go-

Attachments

highfigh

highfigh

I saw BlueTac used to stick some Thiel speakers on their stands, each weighed over 50 pounds. I mistakenly thought the speakers were screwed to the stands and when I picked them up, they came as a pair- speaker and stand. Nope- just BlueTac, which let go as I was setting it down on a mattress.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't like the idea of tearing the mesh backing, either. Once that goes, the rest isn't far behind.

Here ya go-
LOL that is one ridiculous record player...and clamp/weighty thingys.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I saw BlueTac used to stick some Thiel speakers on their stands, each weighed over 50 pounds. I mistakenly thought the speakers were screwed to the stands and when I picked them up, they came as a pair- speaker and stand. Nope- just BlueTac, which let go as I was setting it down on a mattress.
Yeah it can grip pretty good....I don't trust it so much as to carry the speaker/stand around, it can let go like that without much warning too like in Murphy's Law. I usually put a foot on the stand's feet while I unstick it.

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah it can grip pretty good....I don't trust it so much as to carry the speaker/stand around, it can let go like that without much warning too like in Murphy's Law. I usually put a foot on the stand's feet while I unstick it.
Ever see O'Toole's Corollary to Murphy's Law?

Murphy was an optimist.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dunno about a need, but I do use carpet spikes on my GE T2. These speakers came with spikes and rubber feet so you have the option for which to install.

It's a bit of a double edged sword. Spikes and carpet make it difficult to make minor adjustments in positioning for tower speakers. But, if a speaker gets bumped, it tends to be pretty solid and doesn't really tip.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dunno about a need, but I do use carpet spikes on my GE T2. These speakers came with spikes and rubber feet so you have the option for which to install.

It's a bit of a double edged sword. Spikes and carpet make it difficult to make minor adjustments in positioning for tower speakers. But, if a speaker gets bumped, it tends to be pretty solid and doesn't really tip.
I don't have to worry about the bumping thing....no pets/kids to worry about. The speakers I have on stands I still need to worry about me, tho, as they are in tighter spaces....

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
not sure why you thought that
Think back, it is the TT I'm trying to decouple. Speakers were a digression. I thought since you were mentioning blue tac that you're recommending it for my use. A misunderstanding.

Naaah, it's just not for me. I'm not a guy who'd buy a TT like in your picture, but I also draw a line in the other direction. Blue tac will not come close to my KEF's or any of the equipment for that matter.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Think back, it is the TT I'm trying to decouple. Speakers were a digression. I thought since you were mentioning blue tac that you're recommending it for my use. A misunderstanding.

Naaah, it's just not for me. I'm not a guy who'd buy a TT like in your picture, but I also draw a line in the other direction. Blue tac will not come close to my KEF's or any of the equipment for that matter.
But I only mentioned the blue tac in regards to the speaker part of our discussion....and generally I don't use blu-tac but the first time, bought a couple types of museum putty after that and still have a bunch of that! It won't bite, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis