My Ambiophonics Setup

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
Hello guys!

This is my system with SoundLab speakers driven by a Classe Amp. The Source is NUC intel to Mytek DAC. I use Ambiophonics speakers arrangement with AmbioDSP. There are several links in the video where you can compare the stereo and ambiophonics sound. This recording was made with a ZoomH1 recorder (and CS-10EM) from my sitting position which is about 216cm from the speakers.

Would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks.

Added: looks like the embedded YouTube is not playing and the links not visible. Try this http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdMpXpnMH1M8rI-qlCRLZsPALIe8Ja8zA

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I don't get it. Wouldn't it just sound like whatever speakers I am listening to when I watch the video?

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
I don't get it. Wouldn't it just sound like whatever speakers I am listening to when I watch the video?
You can also say the same think with so many things. Like the meaningless 4K picture comparison on PC. For some, no matter how good the system is it would still sound limited due to their defective hearing.

This system of another user sounds difference to my ears....even with my cheap earphones.

There are thousands of HiFi videos on YouTube and it is not so difficult to hear the difference in them. AVShowreport dedicates a YouTube channel to do system reviews by just posting the actual sound.

If you know what to listen, you could tell the room coloration and you can always compare with your own systems sound with the original recording.

I am sorry the standard of my system was not up to your expectation and maybe if you post your video, I could do my best to improve my system to be as good as yours.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am sorry the standard of my system was not up to your expectation and maybe if you post your video, I could do my best to improve my system to be as good as yours.
I have no idea what you mean. I watched the video on my desktop computer using $4 Dell speakers for sound.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I don't even know where to begin... get yourselves a beer or pack a fresh one and check this out:

The Ambiophonics method combines an exploitation of seldom applied, but well documented, psychoacoustic principles with the basic rules of good musical performance space design to create believable concert-hall sound fields in dedicated home listening rooms. Ambiophonics moves the listener into the same space as the performers, by accommodating to individual external ear and head characteristics, minimizing interaural correlation at the listening positions, abandoning the traditional stereo loudspeaker equilateral triangle, recreating early reflections and reverberant fields via computer, and eliminating front and rear loudspeaker crosstalk. The Ambiophonic sound reproducing technique is a worthy successor to both stereophonic or surround-sound listening configurations, in that it can consistently generate a "You Are There" sound field even from standard LPs, DVDs or CDs that the ear-brain system will accept as real.

http://www.ambiophonics.org

Not only do you need to make your own ambiophonic recording, with mics AND licensed software, you then have to take a pair of $20k SoundLab speakers, eliminate interaural (the difference in arrival time of sound between two ears: i.e. your own unique physiology) correlations by placing the speakers side by side so that no one else in the room can enjoy the same sound as you and then use their proprietary DSP to achieve '180 degree' sound from just TWO speakers!

Do yourself a favor @STC spread those speakers out! The misconception you've bought is that an equilateral triangle was ever the goal! File a complaint with your credit card company to get your money back!

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
I don't even know where to begin... get yourselves a beer or pack a fresh one and check this out:

The Ambiophonics method combines an exploitation of seldom applied, but well documented, psychoacoustic principles with the basic rules of good musical performance space design to create believable concert-hall sound fields in dedicated home listening rooms. Ambiophonics moves the listener into the same space as the performers, by accommodating to individual external ear and head characteristics, minimizing interaural correlation at the listening positions, abandoning the traditional stereo loudspeaker equilateral triangle, recreating early reflections and reverberant fields via computer, and eliminating front and rear loudspeaker crosstalk. The Ambiophonic sound reproducing technique is a worthy successor to both stereophonic or surround-sound listening configurations, in that it can consistently generate a "You Are There" sound field even from standard LPs, DVDs or CDs that the ear-brain system will accept as real.

http://www.ambiophonics.org

Not only do you need to make your own ambiophonic recording, with mics AND licensed software, you then have to take a pair of $20k SoundLab speakers, eliminate interaural (the difference in arrival time of sound between two ears: i.e. your own unique physiology) correlations by placing the speakers side by side so that no one else in the room can enjoy the same sound as you and then use their proprietary DSP to achieve '180 degree' sound from just TWO speakers!

Do yourself a favor @STC spread those speakers out! The misconception you've bought is that an equilateral triangle was ever the goal! File a complaint with your credit card company to get your money back!

Please read the Ambiophonics.org carefully. I have been using Ambiophonics method for a long time and I started with Mission speakers. You are incorrect to say you need a $20K speakers. In one of the videos I also made recording of stereo setup of my system.

You can see my comments in one of the pages in the Ambiophonics.org ( although Ralph misspelt my name there).

You don't need any software or special recording to experiment Ambiophonics. It is meant to be used with any types of recordings. However, methods without the DSP would require a partition between your speakers. That's how I started to experiment Ambiophonics in the early 2000s and now using the the $10 VST plugin after 100% certain that the DSP method did not compromise on the fidelity of my DSD files. You can also use the free player from the Ambiophonics site.

I will forward this post to Ralph the founder of Ambiophonics and hopefully he will clear some misconception here.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Please read the Ambiophonics.org carefully. I have been using Ambiophonics method for a long time and I started with Mission speakers. You are incorrect to say you need a $20K speakers. In one of the videos I also made recording of stereo setup of my system.

You can see my comments in one of the pages in the Ambiophonics.org ( although Ralph misspelt my name there).

You don't need any software or special recording to experiment Ambiophonics. It is meant to be used with any types of recordings. However, methods without the DSP would require a partition between your speakers. That's how I started to experiment Ambiophonics in the early 2000s and now using the the $10 VST plugin after 100% certain that the DSP method did not compromise on the fidelity of my DSD files. You can also use the free player from the Ambiophonics site.

I will forward this post to Ralph the founder of Ambiophonics and hopefully he will clear some misconception here.
I have. And every time I tried to even define 'Ambiophonics' I found myself needing to purchase either equipment or software.

Crosstalk between front and rear speakers?

Equilateral triangle?

Concert hall sound field in a small room?

Surround sound quality Listener Envelopment from two speakers placed side by side? For more than one seat?

These are solutions without a problem!

I mean come on! STC, if you've got that nice of speakers, you are truly wasting them in this configuration!

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
I have. And every time I tried to even define 'Ambiophonics' I found myself needing to purchase either equipment or software.

Crosstalk between front and rear speakers?

Equilateral triangle?

Concert hall sound field in a small room?

Surround sound quality Listener Envelopment from two speakers placed side by side? For more than one seat?

These are solutions without a problem!

I mean come on! STC, if you've got that nice of speakers, you are truly wasting them in this configuration!
That cannot be correct. The software need not be purchased and freely available from Ambiophonics website. Are you confusing Ambiophonics with Ambisonics?

The sweet spot is always meant for one listener even for stereophonic setup. The best sound is in the middle. Anywhere other than that you hear same sound as in stereo.

May I know what equipment you purchased to play Ambiophonics?

Here is another video of Ambiophonics sound using a cheap Mini Component speakers.

R

Ralph Glasgal

Audiophyte
Ambiophonics is named to be the replacement for stereophonics. This means it can be used in all the ways that the 86 year old stereo method can be used plus many new realistic ones. So it can be used with high end speakers and amplifiers, car radios, PC speakers, home theater systems, clock radios, laptops, etc. It can also better reproduce 2.0 media like LPs, CDs, MP3s, downloads, SACDs, and any 5.1 media including Auro 3D and Dolby Atmos. It does not require any special microphones or recording techniques. You can think of Ambio as the ultimate tweak for stereo. You can have Ambiophonics with two speakers as in stereo, six speakers as in 3D surround sound or, as I like for classical music, a Domestic Concert Hall with a PC driving 24 concert hall walls.

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
Just an update.

I have now successfully added four additional speakers for convolution with JRiver.

The following diagram is how got the 8 speakers running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have now successfully added four additional speakers for convolution

Well, I would say you easily met the goal of convolution! :confused:
:confused::confused:

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
Thank you. The timing difference is 40ms and adjustable in the zone. Usually, the will be slight delay for few seconds before JRiver stops and plays again. That only happens when you start the first track and thereafter no issues.

I am still experimenting whether the timing drifts after sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
I have now added another 4 speakers using the cheap Panasonics HT speakers. Except for the main two speakers the rest are meant to add spatial effect to your stereo sound. I now have a total of 12 speakers and 1 subwoofer. The new setup diagram as follows:-

Sound comparison here.

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
This is a follow up. To those with 2 channel HiFi setup can use JRiver multi zones for Convolution channels. IMO, this is the easiest way to improve the SQ of your system.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Definition: The Ambiophonics method combines an exploitation of seldom applied, but well documented, psychoacoustic principles with the basic rules of good musical performance space design to create believable concert-hall sound fields in dedicated home listening rooms. Ambiophonics moves the listener into the same space as the performers, by accommodating to individual external ear and head characteristics, minimizing interaural correlation at the listening positions, abandoning the traditional stereo loudspeaker equilateral triangle, recreating early reflections and reverberant fields via computer, and eliminating front and rear loudspeaker crosstalk. The Ambiophonic sound reproducing technique is a worthy successor to both stereophonic or surround-sound listening configurations, in that it can consistently generate a "You Are There" sound field even from standard LPs, DVDs or CDs that the ear-brain system will accept as real.

I caught this at the http://www.ambiophonics.org/ website. I do believe in overkill most of the time, who can it hurt right, but this doesn't make any sense. Look at the sheer volume of equipment to achieve what is supposed to be "a worthy successor to both stereophonic or surround-sound listening configurations" but all I see is a room filled with equipment for one listening position, yours also seems to be intent on one?

I guess I would have to hear this in real life to get it, I'll give it a try through the IOS app tonight or the website that has demos. Should be interesting if the claims are backed up. I'm going to be using a pair of Klipsch "The Sixes" for the demo. Maybe I'll try it in the HT as well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Good lord... all of that to improve a stereo setup? For surround I'll stick with 5.1.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Good lord... all of that to improve a stereo setup? For surround I'll stick with 5.1.
Agreed, take a look at the picture for both setups, a crap load of amps, speakers and to get surrounded by sound. I've been to concerts and sadly an Opera and the sound does not surround you yet the claim is this kind of setup most closely resembles live. The example above in my view does not mimic live even a little.

The only time I got music all around was at the 1983 Chicago fest where my girlfriend was on my shoulders and I was standing in front of the tower of power speaker system and the sound went between her legs into my ears and I couldn't hear for 3 days after (it was worth it for the obvious and well, I'll leave it there). :D

Sammy played the loudest concert I have ever heard, he blew up a Trans Am and I had a blast! How I'm not deaf after that is anyone's guess.

The closest I have come to that level is when my system hit 128db at the MLP in my living room 5 or so years ago playing Evanescence "Snow White Queen". The neighbors complained but it was 12 noon on a weekday and being single family homes I let her know her complaint was noted but I am going to continue to test the system, have a good day.

I digress, no disrespect meant to the OP but expanding stereo imaging has been around since the Quad receivers of the 70's and listening to the demos today it just sounds like expansive stereo imaging. Not sure it sounds better as it also seems to adjust phase to accomplish this which my ears are sensitive to but will wait until I listen to better speakers tonight before final judgement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis