Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Good lord, those pics are, for the most part the do's and don't of photography, neatness, and setup. Hopefully after they see your clean setup they will put a bullet in the chamber :)
I have no formal training when it comes to photography, but even I can see those are in dire need of... everything that makes a good pic a good pic.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm actually not looking for light blocking at the moment. We don't watch a lot of tv during the day and those curtains were cheap. I'm listening to music pretty much all day.

*Edit: I do like the ones you linked though! I'm gonna show my wife. I might get those. The price is right, that's for sure.
If you want to build the case...They have the weight of a nice heavy drape and also provide some thermal insulation!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have no formal training when it comes to photography, but even I can see those are in dire need of... everything that makes a good pic a good pic.
Good thing is that most smart phones have high quality cameras, with almost fail proof ability . You took the time to care about the shots, that in itself shows you care about your gear not only audible but visually.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've just happened to see this thread.

Congrats indeed for a good looking setup and an impressive system. It's unfortunate that we are located far apart, cause I would have liked to go visit you and listen to your gear.

I am sure that it will give you a great enjoyment for a long time. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
@Pogre all your posts persuaded me to get the ultra books, and every time I see the the towers I'm more and more jealous, hopefully one day, in the meantime I still get grief from the wife lol. Well worth it though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre all your posts persuaded me to get the ultra books, and every time I see the the towers I'm more and more jealous, hopefully one day, in the meantime I still get grief from the wife lol. Well worth it though.
Honestly you're not missing a whole lot if you have a sub or 2. I can definitely get some more volume out of the towers, but I was really happy using the bs as my mains for quite a while.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre!!!!!! Where U been? Inspection services good?
I've been... busy? Haven't launched yet and my partner is starting to show some incompetence and has some trouble with comprehension. Might be going solo on this one. I don't want to get wrapped up with someone who seems to be afflicted with the Dunning-Krueger effect...

Broke my foot the middle of December so that set me back a little. At this moment. I guess I'm still in "time off" mode for now. I'll be going back home to PA here in a little over a week to see my aging grandmother and the rest of my family. It's a ten day trip, which is a pretty big deal for someone who has become a bit agoraphobic as of late... Gonna have to start pulling up some bootstraps before too long tho. I still have more studying to do before I retake the national exam.

All is well and I haven't blown any speakers or amplifiers, LOL. I very recently helped a friend set up a half way decent system in his condo. He bought a couple of my hand me downs and a Dayton 12' sub I recommended. First time hearing one of those. I was honestly impressed at what it can do for what it is. I have no problem recommending them for anyone on a budget.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Figured since there have been some significant changes I'd just start a new thread. :)

Thank you to everyone at AH for helping me select each and every piece of my equipment. I have a far better system than I thought I would ever own. It is not an exaggeration to say I now own the nicest system I've ever listened to. It brings me a lot of joy and I just love having it. Music and movies have never sounded so good.
Pogre,

Dayum nice job, looks fantastic and I bet it sounds great as well. :)

Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern
I see you have your fan on the avr in a open cabinet. Do you find you benefit from it where's its open and lots of air? You can see in my pic that my setup is open and I wanted to know if I would still benefit from it. Thanks for any feed back.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Some AVRs heat quite a bit and definitely benefit from a cooling fan in an open cabinet. Don't forget that its heat that shortens the life of electronic equipment more than anything except abusive handling.
Even in an open cabinet, air has to be moved for efficient cooling if there's too much heat.

To find out if your equipment heats too much, you could use a digital thermometer. If the temperature on top of the chassis is above 100°F, one or several fans should be used to help prolonging its life.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I see you have your fan on the avr in a open cabinet. Do you find you benefit from it where's its open and lots of air? You can see in my pic that my setup is open and I wanted to know if I would still benefit from it. Thanks for any feed back.
Verdinut pretty much covered it. My receiver gets pretty hot even just idling so I bought the fan for it. Is it an absolute necessity? I'd say no, but I am interested in prolonging the life of my equipment wherever possible.

The one big downside to using a fan like the one I have is it will suck more dust inside a component. I did not get a fan for my amp as it has never really gotten hot. Pretty warm after a good, spirited session of listening, but never alarmingly so.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had been assuming your curtains were light-blocking.
If you are looking for some, I can recommend this as a good value:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026SAHAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I like grommets on a rod because it is easy to flick them open holding the curtain below.
If you want to build the case...They have the weight of a nice heavy drape and also provide some thermal insulation!
Found some for a little less. Clicky

I take delivery today! Should be able to get it very dark in my living room now!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Found some for a little less. Clicky

I take delivery today! Should be able to get it very dark in my living room now!
Those should work well!
The one thing missing from my checklist is grommets; without grommets, the curtain bunches up on the rod. I like to easily be able to open the curtains all of the way and close them back. However, if you have hooks or tie-backs to pull the drapes open midway down, that should work, or maybe you have a different approach?
One downside of the grommets is they allow a little more light to get in at the top. A valence would fix that, but I haven't yet seen the need to get that obsessive.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those should work well!
The one thing missing from my checklist is grommets; without grommets, the curtain bunches up on the rod. I like to easily be able to open the curtains all of the way and close them back. However, if you have hooks or tie-backs to pull the drapes open midway down, that should work, or maybe you have a different approach?
One downside of the grommets is they allow a little more light to get in at the top. A valence would fix that, but I haven't yet seen the need to get that obsessive.
Lol Kew

The ones I have now have tie-backs. They do bunch up to the point where I can't open them all the way, but the tie-backs work very well.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Figured since there have been some significant changes I'd just start a new thread. :)

View attachment 21685
View attachment 21690
View attachment 21691
View attachment 21686
View attachment 21687
View attachment 21688

Thank you to everyone at AH for helping me select each and every piece of my equipment. I have a far better system than I thought I would ever own. It is not an exaggeration to say I now own the nicest system I've ever listened to. It brings me a lot of joy and I just love having it. Music and movies have never sounded so good.
Just a quick question why are jumper strips still on your speakers if you are bi amping or bi wired ? Spotted this on the first set of pictures ...maybe this is the before pictures ? . and I am jumping in on a old thread ?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a quick question why are jumper strips still on your speakers if you are bi amping or bi wired ? Spotted this on the first set of pictures ...maybe this is the before pictures ? . and I am jumping in on a old thread ?
1. My jumpers are on because I couldn't really tell any difference whether they're passive bi-amped or with the jumpers in place. It did start making a popping sound when I powered it up in bi-amp configuration so I put it back.
2. I bought new speakers so I posted pics of them and added on when I took some glamor shots for an article.
3. Yup... kinda old, but not dead! lol.

I don't mind tho. Happy to answer any more questions if you have them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis