My 1099's sound better than B and W 702 S2's!

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Here are my 1099 speakers:

After the flat packs they end up being about $480.
These have high quality speakers where most developers of speakers have to pay people to make the speaker boxes and crossovers and skimp on woofers, midranges, and tweeters. I listened to the B and W 702 S2's at Listen Up where they had them powered by a Moon amp which is a super high quality amp! With Pink Floyd's "Hey you" my speakers separated the guitar from the bass drum much better and with Nine Inch Nails "Into the void" my speakers had more snap and kick you could say. The 1099's also have a sensitivity of 99db! My normal volume for movies is 70 on my Denon AVRX4500H. For the B and W speakers the volume would have to be like 80 to be as loud as my speakers since they're sensitivity is only 90db! So not only do my 1099's sound better but the B and W speakers will definitely blow quicker than mine! With a clean 300 to the B and W's watts and a clean 600 watts to my 1099's, the B and W's will blow quicker than mine at the same SPL. Also the center channel for the B and W 702 is this one that only handles 100 watts.

My center is the same as the towers just a sideways speaker with 2, 10" woofers, 2 5" midranges, and a tweeter. So my center channel will get way louder than the little B and W center.
Here is the 702 S2:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've always heard nice reports about this speaker, congrats. Did you not recalibrate the avr, tho?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Not sure what you mean? I only used audyssey for my speakers? Is that what you're asking?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what you mean? I only used audyssey for my speakers? Is that what you're asking?
The vast difference in volume level reading on the avr if you'd recalibrated doesn't make sense to me as it should take sensitivity into account...

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Oh ok but the B and W's cant get as loud right without blowing? Movies I get crazy loud!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No idea how well the B&Ws can do in that regard. Or your 1099s to an extent either.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Here are my 1099 speakers:

After the flat packs they end up being about $480.
These have high quality speakers where most developers of speakers have to pay people to make the speaker boxes and crossovers and skimp on woofers, midranges, and tweeters. I listened to the B and W 702 S2's at Listen Up where they had them powered by a Moon amp which is a super high quality amp! With Pink Floyd's "Hey you" my speakers separated the guitar from the bass drum much better and with Nine Inch Nails "Into the void" my speakers had more snap and kick you could say. The 1099's also have a sensitivity of 99db! My normal volume for movies is 70 on my Denon AVRX4500H. For the B and W speakers the volume would have to be like 80 to be as loud as my speakers since they're sensitivity is only 90db! So not only do my 1099's sound better but the B and W speakers will definitely blow quicker than mine! With a clean 300 to the B and W's watts and a clean 600 watts to my 1099's, the B and W's will blow quicker than mine at the same SPL. Also the center channel for the B and W 702 is this one that only handles 100 watts.

My center is the same as the towers just a sideways speaker with 2, 10" woofers, 2 5" midranges, and a tweeter. So my center channel will get way louder than the little B and W center.
Here is the 702 S2:
Congrats Cameron, I love seeing people making the switch and building there own speakers. They find out very quickly how much of a better product they get and realize how most speaker manufactures use inferior components. Plus you usually end up with a better sound, spending a lot less doing it. The box may not be as pretty as the ones put out by speaker companies, but if your like me, it's about the sound and not the look.

One of the best things for me was finding Dan Richie from GR research. This is a guy who knows how to do crossovers right. I know I will most likely never again buy complete speakers from a company ( however I do like some of the Tektons ) again. I run a 2'' compression driver and a 15'' mid, with 18'' sub. I am more happy now with my speakers than I have ever been with speakers I have purchased throughout my life. Never going back. Anyways im sure your going yo be very pleased, so congrats again.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
If the B and W 702'a treid to get to 120db like my 1099's can they would blow in a second. At best buy one of the tweeters was blown on the 704 S2. I dont think they handle high SPL as well as most speakers made by a company.

Truthslayer yes i have 5 diy subwoofers and the 3 1099's and i love all 8 of them!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice speakers! Got any pics of the finished product? I keep telling myself I'm gonna do a kit one of these days. It's so satisfying to enjoy something you put together yourself.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Mine dont look like anything special i put grills on them so the kids dont dent the woofers.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Mine dont look like anything special i put grills on them so the kids dont dent the woofers.
Not about the looks brother, all about the sound, which it sounds like you have now found the sound of your liking. In the end that's all that counts in audio

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So how Elusive are the 1099 kits these days? Haven't looked in a long time....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lovin- not sure if you are doing a play on words (Elusive 1099). If not, I think they can still be easily had,
They used to be called the Elusive 1099 kit because they couldn't get all the parts for the kit all the time, thus the Elusive 1099. I was wondering if they'd resolved their supply issues....

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
They used to be called the Elusive 1099 kit because they couldn't get all the parts for the kit all the time, thus the Elusive 1099. I was wondering if they'd resolved their supply issues....
ok, got ya. I would hope so at this point.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ok, got ya. I would hope so at this point.
Think the last I saw they just maintained a waiting list in between gaps. If I didn't get my JBLs I was gonna build these....might still some day.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Pretty sure they use all eminence drivers. if you want to go with larger drivers, Anthony (from eminence ) can help you find exactly what you are looking for. Many are not even advertised. They even do crossovers, or you can do them yourself, or have someone else do them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis