Music vs. Home Theater

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have 2 systems too, both use speakers from the same family :) I would take separates over a single solution in most cases, with maybe the Denon 5805 requiring some thought if it was a good price. Separates would still be more attractive because I can then use whatever amp I wanted.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I agree. If I went with a single unit, I would go with the new Denon AVR-4808.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
So for music listening, how would you stack a Denon AVR-4306 against against a dedicated Rotel preamplifier + amplifier?

The preamp is out of the picture if it is well designed. Amps depend on the speakers impedance and sensitivity. If the speaker load is not an issue, then follow the TAC rule, period. Or, do your own level matched DBT. :D
The available DBT over the past 30 years will support this. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I've searched the internet regarding the use of 3 separate dedicated stereo preamplifiers + amplifier for both music and movies, using one speaker system.
I can't find anything on this.
I think you would be wasting your money on such a setup if you were looking for audible benefits with the same speaker setup.
Read some more of the back issues of TAC:D

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
You mean you have two separate rooms, two speaker systems, etc.?

If I had the money, a big enough house, I would love to have two separate systems also.

So do you use a dedicated stereo preamplifier + amplifier for your music room and a receiver for your movie room?
Look at my signature. I use my computer as a "live music server". It is connected via RCA cables to an integrated amp to power 2 bookshelves and it's more than enough for my small computer room!

And then I have my home theater (basement - family room) that I use a full 5.1 system powered by an a/v receiver (that I use only for audio by the way).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think you would be wasting your money on such a setup if you were looking for audible benefits with the same speaker setup.
Read some more of the back issues of TAC:D
The Audio Critic is a pretty cool stuff, isn't it?
My impression is that the higher priced amps/preamps/CD players/DACs may last longer, but probably not sound better than less expensive ones, assuming they meet the specs. The most important issue is sound level matching, but I still don't see too many equipment reviewers talking about sound level matching.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Too Many? Are there any?
Why would they? :D They may have nothing to say then, or lie for sure.:D
Yeah, I heard that. I wonder how long do most people keep their components before changing? I've had my Acurus system since 1995. Still ticking. But even if it should break one day, I wonder if I would just get it repaired or just buy a new receiver?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I heard that. I wonder how long do most people keep their components before changing? I've had my Acurus system since 1995. Still ticking. But even if it should break one day, I wonder if I would just get it repaired or just buy a new receiver?
Thats really personal preference. Some people upgrade all the time and get the latest and greatest while others stick to a cycle of so many years and upgrade in that pattern while others just keep their equipment forever. Upgrading electronics is based on budget and want/need (more the former) of new connectivity options.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thats really personal preference. Some people upgrade all the time and get the latest and greatest while others stick to a cycle of so many years and upgrade in that pattern while others just keep their equipment forever. Upgrading electronics is based on budget and want/need (more the former) of new connectivity options.
I think I have about 10 dvd players, 4 laserdisc players, SharpVision XV-S95 projector and Pioneer Elite & Millenium decoders sitting in my closet:)
I guess I'm about as guilty as anyone when it comes to upgrades.
How do you guys "keep it" from your wives?
"Very carefully' is what I say.
I bet we have some pretty interesting stories on that topic:)

I actually bought the new Onkyo 805 and returned it right after! Didn't even test it out!
When Circuit City asked me what was the problem, I just said, "my wife thinks it's too expensive is the problem." But actually, I was just anticipating her response. Don't even want to try.
So I just convinced myself that this new Onkyo or upcoming Denon cannot possibly be better than my Acurus system in terms of audio. They just can't.
They might be just as good, though.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You can "hang the hoops" with very little power. Let's say you go to 5:13 gears and a 5,000 rpm stall speed converter and dump it off the trans-break; it would take very little HP to pull the front tires.

I thought we were talking about AV stuff....

For me, it isn't possible!

I like my music to me on the warm side, and my movies to be more agressive soundwise. There ain't no speakers that can to that! Ask a fuel efficient car to do a wallie!

So bottom line for me. It ain't gonna happen. Can't have the best of both worlds into one system. So I bought two! :D:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You can "hang the hoops" with very little power. Let's say you go to 5:13 gears and a 5,000 rpm stall speed converter and dump it off the trans-break; it would take very little HP to pull the front tires.

I thought we were talking about AV stuff....
You just went way over my head with that cars and gears and RPM thing.

How do you define "Warm" sound, anyway?
Or "Sterile" or "Bright" or is there "Cold" sound?
I have absolutely no idea what all these terms mean.

I wish magazine reviewers would have a footnote section where they would define all these terms.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I've had my Acurus system since 1995. Still ticking.
I love the Acurus line. In fact, I had decided to go two channel in my bedroom set up as I didn't like the old Denon 1801 htr I bought on Ebay. I thought the Acurus RL-11 was the ****. So I was bidding on the only one that came up for some time. I thought $300 would take it for sure. It went for over $500 plus shipping! So now I got a Lexicon DC-1.......
Love those Acurus'!!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love the Acurus line. In fact, I had decided to go two channel in my bedroom set up as I didn't like the old Denon 1801 htr I bought on Ebay. I thought the Acurus RL-11 was the ****. So I was bidding on the only one that came up for some time. I thought $300 would take it for sure. It went for over $500 plus shipping! So now I got a Lexicon DC-1.......
Love those Acurus'!!!!
Acurus rules! Yes! ACURacy in the US. Okay, I got it out. My vertical audio rack has three Acurus 200X3s and three RL-11s. It looks so cool. Can you see those FIFTEEN round alluminum knobs?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

If it ain't broken, why fix it. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DTS-MA vs Uncompressed LPCM vs Dolby TruHD

Can anyone even tell the difference among the big three formats with the volume levels matched?

I watched Batman Begins HDDVD and the Matrix Trilogy HDDVD on my Toshiba with the volume knob on my Acurus RL-11s at 9 O'Clock and Dolby TruHD.

Then I watched Underworld Evolution Blu-ray and Hellboy Blu-ray on my Panasonic with Uncompressed LPCM and the same volume level.

I immediatlely noticed the volume was way too loud on Underworld and Hellboy!

So I'm wondering if Uncompressed LPCM is just louder than TruHD or is the Panasonic Blu-ray just louder than the Toshiba HDDVD?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mastering levels will almost always vary by format, and even by the individual mix. Well known fact.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't understand the point of DTS-HD MA and Dolby TruHD when you can get Uncompressed LPCM.
I mean with DTS and Dolby, you need a decoder. With Uncompressed LPCM, you don't even need a decoder, right?
Although the bit-rate for DTS-MA and TruHD are very high, aren't they still compressed audio----even if insignificantly compressed?
So why bother?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is a good question. Options I guess, plus the fact that there aren't a lot of receivers out that can handle TrueHD/dts-HD vs LPCM right now.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Hello all.
I'm new to this forum.
As the name implies, I have an Acurus/Definitive Technology system.

I think one of the most popular topics is the Music vs. Home Theater Sound.
Some say you can't get both in one system if you want the best of both worlds. I wonder how everyone feels about this?
;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis