Music vs. Home Theater

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Perhaps.

Vs. just your imagination?
But this thread seems to follow the classic troll path.

Start with an open question, throw in a few facts that belie previous feigned ignorance, throw in more open ended questions, throw in totally unrelated statements or questions...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yep; I don’t get people like that. I mean, I never offer much in the way of true advice but at least I throw in something funny every once in a while

But this thread seems to follow the classic troll path.

Start with an open question, throw in a few facts that belie previous feigned ignorance, throw in more open ended questions, throw in totally unrelated statements or questions...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, okay, the surround channels give you the ambient feeling.
But I've seen people go all out and put huge floor standing speakers (Def Tech BP7002) just for the rear surround speakers!
So if you had a large room, wouldn't a pair of BP7002 be even better than 4 typical small size surround speakers?

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Well, okay, the surround channels give you the ambient feeling.
But I've seen people go all out and put huge floor standing speakers (Def Tech BP7002) just for the rear surround speakers!
So if you had a large room, wouldn't a pair of BP7002 be even better than 4 typical small size surround speakers?
This is actually the preferred setup for multi-channel SACD/DVD-A, All speakers should be identical if possible.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Size does not equal capability to surround. While obscbyclouds is right about SACD/DVD-A spec for movies it doesn't matter as long as you have capable surrounds. The reason for this is because two surrounds won't cover as much area in the same way as four in a large room.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can use towers for surrounds sure. Does one NEED to? No. I use 5 identical speakers in my system, none of which are towers. I also use one very capable sub...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
You can use towers for surrounds sure. Does one NEED to? No. I use 5 identical speakers in my system, none of which are towers. I also use one very capable sub...
What kind of sub do you have? In the picture of your place it looks like an SVS but on your sig it says Adire Audio and when I click the link it says they have closed.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I guess I better check my own links more often...I didn't know they closed. I did know things had changed dramatically there, but not that they had closed WOW. Adire makes drivers, when I first posted the link it was to the driver, but that driver was discontinued so I linked to their main page and now...I will have to take it down :( My sub sub is a DIY cylinder using a Rythmik plate amp.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Nice, did you make the enclosure yourself if not where did you pick that up? It looks great for a DYI.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does anyone know if there is even one movie encoded with discrete 7.1?
I guess if they start producing 7.1 movie soundtracks, I might take the plunge.
But I guess the point here is room size. For very large rooms (say 1,000 s.f.) I might possibly see a reason for 7.1HT.
But how come no one is making discrete 7.1 movie soundtracks? At least not that I know of.
I've watched Gladiator (Discrete DTS 6.1), and I can't tell much difference vs. the DTS 5.1.

I have the DTS 5.1 CD "Eagles-Hell Freezes Over" and the standard 2-ch CD, and I actually prefer the 2-ch stereo.
Am I just getting too old fashion or what?

I know the saying "If it's too loud, then you're too old".
Is there also a saying, "If there's too many channels, then you're too old" ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are no discrete 7.1 movies YET; they are coming... Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA will both be discrete 7.1 capable and movies featuring this will be coming out on Blu-ray and HD-DVD this year (not DVD).

Yes you must be getting old because Gladiator is a good example of how good 6.1 can be. A proerply setup 6.1 sytem in a room that supports it well, can yeild an improvement with 6.1/7.1, but I have gone back to 5.1 and I don't entirely miss 6.1 either :) I definitely prefer the dts version of HFO vs the stereo version.

Avasefi, I did not build it myself, a friend of mine did.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I knew you built your own sub but when I look at your system I always think you have a SVS cylinder. So how did you build the tube?

I guess I better check my own links more often...I didn't know they closed. I did know things had changed dramatically there, but not that they had closed WOW. Adire makes drivers, when I first posted the link it was to the driver, but that driver was discontinued so I linked to their main page and now...I will have to take it down :( My sub sub is a DIY cylinder using a Rythmik plate amp.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is a cardboard carpet tube. I've built my own box subs previously, but this one was build by a buddy of mine who does some very nice work. I'll take some better pics of it tonight. For being 48" tall, it doesn't weigh that much at all.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A proerply setup 6.1 sytem in a room that supports it well, can yeild an improvement with 6.1/7.1, but I have gone back to 5.1 and I don't entirely miss 6.1 either :)
So why did you go back to 5.1?
I just went from 7.1 back to 5.1 also:)
I guess when they do make 7.1 Blu-ray or HD DVD, I may give it another try.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In my last place, I didn't have a place to put a rear center, but in my current place I do again. I am not sure if I will actually go back to 6.1 or 7.1 or not though.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
My impression (from reading The Audio Critic) is that all amplifiers and preamplifiers sound the same, as long as the quality is good. Thus, a good receiver will sound just as good as a separate dedicated stereo preamplifier?
Well, that cannot be a blanket statement and is not from TAC:D
Well designed, low output impedance, levels matched, DBT, operating within design limits are some/most of the qualifiers:D

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
For me, it isn't possible!

I like my music to me on the warm side, and my movies to be more agressive soundwise. There ain't no speakers that can to that! Ask a fuel efficient car to do a wallie!

So bottom line for me. It ain't gonna happen. Can't have the best of both worlds into one system. So I bought two! :D:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I like my music to me on the warm side, and my movies to be more agressive soundwise. There ain't no speakers that can to that! Ask a fuel efficient car to do a wallie!

So bottom line for me. It ain't gonna happen. Can't have the best of both worlds into one system. So I bought two! :D:D
What are you asking that car to do? Perhaps a different gearing might help it?

You could have an EQ or in the receiver two curves to do that for you?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

You mean you have two separate rooms, two speaker systems, etc.?

If I had the money, a big enough house, I would love to have two separate systems also.

So do you use a dedicated stereo preamplifier + amplifier for your music room and a receiver for your movie room?

I've searched the internet regarding the use of 3 separate dedicated stereo preamplifiers + amplifier for both music and movies, using one speaker system.
I can't find anything on this.

This way, I can use the dedicated preamplifier for both music and movies. No DSP, no tone controls, no processors, no integrated circuits----besides the processors in the blu-ray/hddvd players.

I can't be the only person in the world to have this notion, can I?
I mean I'm sure every individual is unique, but I can't be the only person.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, that cannot be a blanket statement and is not from TAC:D
Well designed, low output impedance, levels matched, DBT, operating within design limits are some/most of the qualifiers:D
So for music listening, how would you stack a Denon AVR-4306 against against a dedicated Rotel preamplifier + amplifier?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis