P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok. You’re going to have to give me a little bit, I just got up
Take your time, I just need to see it up high before suggesting any more tweaks. What you have now is quite smooth, but depending on the level in the 1 to 2 kHz range, you may need to bump up the sub1/sub2 levels, or conversely lower them.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Take your time, I just need to see it up high before suggesting any more tweaks. What you have now is quite smooth, but depending on the level in the 1 to 2 kHz range, you may need to bump up the sub1/sub2 levels, or conversely lower them.
Ok. I work nights so that’s why I got up when I did. Everyone else is working while I’m sleeping

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Sleep is more important than fiddling with REW/Audyssey for sure.:)
Honestly I like being down there doing that stuff, my schedule just sucks for sleep but it works for wife and kids

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly I like being down there doing that stuff, my schedule just sucks for sleep but it works for wife and kids
I know, in my long career in manufacturing working with night shift workers including trades such as electricians, I would say 99% of them never prefer shift work, let alone night shifts. In my opinion, shift workers deserve much higher shift premium rates.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I know, in my long career in manufacturing working with night shift workers including trades such as electricians, I would say 99% of them never prefer shift work, let alone night shifts. In my opinion, shift workers deserve much higher shift premium rates.
I can’t tell you on here what I do but I do get a premium but agree it should be higher and overall we should be making more especially right now.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I sent a smoothed pic but looking at the unsmoothed graph, the hump at 25-26hz needs to come down some. That dip at 33hz bugs me but I’m guessing I can’t do anything about that?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I was running rew last night just a few times but the few graphs I was getting seemed a little different than the other day I haven’t changed anything. Is that normal?

J

jameshtx

Enthusiast
Wish I knew how to read those graphs to understand what it means

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

The reeeeally short version is this. From left to right is the frequency range. Left is deep bass, right is treble. Bottom to top is the amplitude. What your seeing with the ups and downs, is the volume of those frequencies. So for example if you have a dip in 50hz range, midbas like kick drums will be lacking. Conversely, a bump in the same range will be(possibly) obnoxious and seem like the bass knob is turned too high.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

You might also find these articles useful for reading specifications for measuring speakers

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Hey guys just wanted to post some pics of my final graph from rew. I think it looks pretty good, I'll probably play some more later but for now I'm going to enjoy music and movies. I would like to thank Bill, Pogre, Ryanosaur and anyone else who has chimed in trying to help me. But I would like to especially thank Peng, he has helped me a lot over the last month and his help along with everyone else's has been greatly appreciated. I'd buy all you guys beer if we were all near one another. This definitely was quite a bit of work but I have enjoyed all of it and love this hobby. Your thoughts are appreciated and thx again to everyone! BTW everything kicks a$$ now, bass is tight!
test11.jpg
test12.jpg
test13.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey guys just wanted to post some pics of my final graph from rew. I think it looks pretty good, I'll probably play some more later but for now I'm going to enjoy music and movies. I would like to thank Bill, Pogre, Ryanosaur and anyone else who has chimed in trying to help me. But I would like to especially thank Peng, he has helped me a lot over the last month and his help along with everyone else's has been greatly appreciated. I'd buy all you guys beer if we were all near one another. This definitely was quite a bit of work but I have enjoyed all of it and love this hobby. Your thoughts are appreciated and thx again to everyone! BTW everything kicks a$$ now, bass is tight!
View attachment 41510View attachment 41511View attachment 41512

@William Lemmerhirt , @Pogre , do you guys think the OP should try boosting the 20 to 40 Hz by a couple dB, or just increase the subwoofer level trims by a couple dB?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@William Lemmerhirt , @Pogre , do you guys think the OP should try boosting the 20 to 40 Hz by a couple dB, or just increase the subwoofer level trims by a couple dB?
Morning @PENG! Person I think I would try to raise 20 by about 5 and try to slope it down to 200. Seems like whenever I have simply raised the sub channel, it creates a steep drop off at the XO. Makes it seem very bass heavy. And not in a good way. I’d also like to see the graphs up to 20k to see the whole relationship.
What are your thoughts?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Morning @PENG! Person I think I would try to raise 20 by about 5 and try to slope it down to 200. Seems like whenever I have simply raised the sub channel, it creates a steep drop off at the XO. Makes it seem very bass heavy. And not in a good way. I’d also like to see the graphs up to 20k to see the whole relationship.
What are your thoughts?
Agreed, he is now in a good position to shape the curve between 20 and 200 Hz, but instead of "raising", it may be easier to lower 15 to say 160 Hz, such as making cuts as follow:

15 Hz....................... +1
32 Hz....................... -2
80 Hz........................-2
120 Hz.................... -4
160 Hz.................... -3.5
200 Hz................... -3.5

After that, increase sub1 and sub2 by +3.5 each, and see what happens. The idea is, the boosts and cuts between 15 and 200 Hz if to get that upward slope towards 15 Hz that apparently most people like, and then the subwoofer levels increase is to restore the levels to those before the cut, and keep them a little higher than the level from 200 Hz and up.

My concern with raising the lower base from 20 Hz is that it would mess things up and may even cause instability. Cuts are much more predictable. Problem is, I think he can no longer apply more cuts as he's at the -12 limit (by Ratbuddssey for some reason), so the 32 Hz cut won't be possible. That's not a big deal though, it wouldn't hurt to have it a little "hotter" at that low frequency.

It is still hard to predict, so your suggestion may be better, he can try both approach if he has time. Or just leave it the way it is, if he happens to be like me, who actually prefer the flatter bass response that is actually better in terms of "accuracy/neutrality".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis