R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Same here. Everyone thinks I'm just nuts.

Oh I had a lot of resistance when it came to spending the money I wanted on gear, but I eventually won her over. When I ripped all my cds I ripped a bunch of hers too (country- blech) and she started listening to her music more and more often. Now she loves it. Enough that she'd be pissed if something happened and we went without. I recently sent one of my new speakers in for a warranty repair and hooked the old ones back up for a week while we waited. She instantly heard the differences and couldn't wait for the new one to come back! That's when I realized I'd won, lol.
Well I haven’t won her over yet. I’ve actually paid for most of my stuff out of my credit union account from work, it’s basically my play money, I’ll use it for the kids sporting stuff and for projects around house not just HT. I’ve always been playing around with the stuff so it really hasn’t been right until now. So maybe she’ll be down there more, she always thinks I don’t need this or that and I always want the best. I don’t need the best but I will pay for quality gear rather than buying cheap and replacing in a year. Man my goal was to have 4 vtf3’s down there since I had 4 of my old subs but I probably really don’t need the fourth. Still debating whether to bump the subs gains up a couple more dB or just leave it

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Same here. Everyone thinks I'm just nuts.

Oh I had a lot of resistance when it came to spending the money I wanted on gear, but I eventually won her over. When I ripped all my cds I ripped a bunch of hers too (country- blech) and she started listening to her music more and more often. Now she loves it. Enough that she'd be pissed if something happened and we went without. I recently sent one of my new speakers in for a warranty repair and hooked the old ones back up for a week while we waited. She instantly heard the differences and couldn't wait for the new one to come back! That's when I realized I'd won, lol.
I haven’t heard from you in a couple days. Yea everyone looks at me like, wtf! That’s my get away down there

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
We used to be able to have locations there, but think there were some forum software change that eliminated it IIRC.

Well a few days ago I could barely see the trees in my yard due to smoke. Then it rained and now we're fairly clear and can go outside again :) Generally the west is beautiful, tho....I've traveled the western states quite a bit on my mountain bike adventures....
Yea I bet the scenery is awesome out west, dk if I’ll ever get to see it

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
The other day when I got things straightened out I had made 3 or 4 audyssey runs with the app and the second to last was pretty close to what I’m running with now. On the one that’s pretty close I ended up turning the gain knobs up a little before my last run. My question is, can I load the run that’s pretty close into avr even though the gain knobs are a little higher from where I initially had them on the run that was close? Or do I have to turn the gain knobs down to try and match the close run? Hopefully that makes sense, I know what I want to ask but idk if it came out that way.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
This should make more sense. The run I’m asking about set my rear sub to -3.5 and my fronts to -6.5. After that run I turned all three gain knobs up a little to get the trims a little higher which ended up being what I’m using now with the rear at -5.5 and fronts at -7.5. If I load the first run in avr will the avr read the rear at -3.5 and fronts at -6.5 even though the gain knobs are not in the same place as when I ran it and got the -3.5 and -6.5?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This should make more sense. The run I’m asking about set my rear sub to -3.5 and my fronts to -6.5. After that run I turned all three gain knobs up a little to get the trims a little higher which ended up being what I’m using now with the rear at -5.5 and fronts at -7.5. If I load the first run in avr will the avr read the rear at -3.5 and fronts at -6.5 even though the gain knobs are not in the same place as when I ran it and got the -3.5 and -6.5?
If you adjusted the volume knobs on your sub, your Audyssey settings are no longer "valid". You can minimum the difference by manually adjusting the level trims using an accurate spl meter or REW, provided you kept the previous readings measure by the same spl meter at the same position.

It is better to keep the volume know on the subs fixed at where you want it (like at the point you know Audyssey would set the level trims to between -7 and -10), and then don't touch them ever again, or you will have to re-run Audyssey.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think now that you have some consistency you can stop re-running Audyssey... lol. Stick with one run, leave it, then start measuring with REW so you can see where you're at. -5.5 and -7.5 are good trim settings, imo. There's no real need to keep changing the things you're changing unless you just like the exercise. If it were me, now that you have some things sorted out I would do one last calibration using all 8 mic positions and go forward from there. Get set up with REW and start doing some sweeps.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
We used to be able to have locations there, but think there were some forum software change that eliminated it IIRC.
Still there if you opt to show it.
If I click on your avatar, I see you are in Oakridge, OR.
You can click on mine and see I am in Jowjah.

I think it used to show under the avatar without having to click it!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still there if you opt to show it.
If I click on your avatar, I see you are in Oakridge, OR.
You can click on mine and see I am in Jowjah.

I think it used to show under the avatar without having to click it!
Yes I meant for static display so you could easily see it....didn't realize that one click could get you that info...thought it was a full visit to their profile, shows you how often I look I guess :)

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
If you adjusted the volume knobs on your sub, your Audyssey settings are no longer "valid". You can minimum the difference by manually adjusting the level trims using an accurate spl meter or REW, provided you kept the previous readings measure by the same spl meter at the same position.

It is better to keep the volume know on the subs fixed at where you want it (like at the point you know Audyssey would set the level trims to between -7 and -10), and then don't touch them ever again, or you will have to re-run Audyssey.
I haven’t touched the gain knobs since I did my last run and that was all 8 positions

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I think now that you have some consistency you can stop re-running Audyssey... lol. Stick with one run, leave it, then start measuring with REW so you can see where you're at. -5.5 and -7.5 are good trim settings, imo. There's no real need to keep changing the things you're changing unless you just like the exercise. If it were me, now that you have some things sorted out I would do one last calibration using all 8 mic positions and go forward from there. Get set up with REW and start doing some sweeps.
I’m probably not going to change anything, I assumed I would have to play with gain knobs again when I asked question this morning. I’m off tomorrow and Wednesday so I should have time to play with rew

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey reck. If I followed your question correctly yes. You can load the other cal, and in turn everything will be the same, except the subs will be just a little hotter. If I didn’t follow, then I’m a dumm Fukk and should be fired. Lmao!!!

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Hey reck. If I followed your question correctly yes. You can load the other cal, and in turn everything will be the same, except the subs will be just a little hotter. If I didn’t follow, then I’m a dumm Fukk and should be fired. Lmao!!!
I think I’m going to just leave things alone. San Andreas sounded really awesome last night before I left for work in the few scenes I tested. Overall it just sounds really awesome. I’m still running with one port plugged eq1 n q7. I can’t remember if it was peng or someone else but they suggested trying two ports open and I’m going to try that too. Switching the phase really helped a lot and the 4500 being able to independently set two sub distances, the 860 could not do that. Really like how it sounds and I haven’t even got to watch an entire movie yet. Btw, the other night when we were talking outside of here, were you saying I need to move my surrounds and my rear surrounds down in order to add atmos speakers in ceiling?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Watch this

The depth charges! See I’ve tested that scene before when I had my 860 running and it didn’t really blow me away. Now maybe it’ll be different with the 4500, I’ll test it today after my son leaves for school

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis