William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do I have to have the mic plugged in when I change the frequency range or does the phone just send it to the avr?
Once you make the changes, you send it to the AVR from your phone.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thx. I did it earlier before work but wasn’t sure. Everything sounds really good, now I have to get rew up and running
Maybe later. Put something on and blow that bitch up!

Then run it tomorrow lol.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Maybe later. Put something on and blow that bitch up!

Then run it tomorrow lol.
That would be great except I’m at work and tomorrow I’m coming in three hours early so it probably won’t be until Tuesday Wednesday when I’m off. I’m going to hear a change in sound since I changed the frequency range?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That would be great except I’m at work and tomorrow I’m coming in three hours early so it probably won’t be until Tuesday Wednesday when I’m off. I’m going to hear a change in sound since I changed the frequency range?
Damn... time for vacation!!!
Honestly, any changes will be fairly subtle imo, although still there. It will depend on how familiar you are with the system before the changes.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Damn... time for vacation!!!
Honestly, any changes will be fairly subtle imo, although still there. It will depend on how familiar you are with the system before the changes.
Everything just sounds really clean at this point so I’ll have to spend a lot more time down there. Yea you’re right, my last two vacations aren’t until November and December. Everything has so dam crazy with the kids sports since July, hardly have time to do anything else. Always have to fit beer in on my days off though!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Everything just sounds really clean at this point so I’ll have to spend a lot more time down there. Yea you’re right, my last two vacations aren’t until November and December. Everything has so dam crazy with the kids sports since July, hardly have time to do anything else. Always have to fit beer in on my days off though!
I hear that!
I think if you’re liking it, spend some QT down there as much as you can. Get used to it before making too many changes.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I hear that!
I think if you’re liking it, spend some QT down there as much as you can. Get used to it before making too many changes.
Yea I don’t want to be changing different things not knowing wtf I’m doing, I’m still learning with certain things. I know this is way off topic but do you heat your house through winter with wood?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yea I don’t want to be changing different things not knowing wtf I’m doing, I’m still learning with certain things. I know this is way off topic but do you heat your house through winter with wood?
Yeah. That’s a little OT lmao. All good though. No. I have an electric boiler with in floor heat. House is on a slab with a “cellar” for utilities. I picked up that you were cuttin wood for winter. That’s a bitch. I’ve cut plenty.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, no I don’t know what Schroeders is, have not read up on that yet. I assume you looked at the pictures of my basement, wouldn’t my basement be considered large because of how it opens up from the area where I have HT setup?
I did ask for pictures before but didn't think you did, would you mind telling me the post# please? I am not that lazy but you got a lot of pages now and it keep growing, like faster than me taking breaks!!:D

And in return, I'll save you time searching for Schroeder:

"Schroeder’s sound science
The scientist who first noted a room’s split acoustical personality (if you will) was a German physicist named Dr. Manfred Schroeder. (Not to be confused with Schrödinger, the dude who discovered that a cat explodes if you put it in the microwave.) Back in 1954, Schroeder referred to the frequency at which rooms go from being resonators to being reflectors/diffusors as the “crossover frequency.” We now call it the Schroeder frequency."

"In a typical residential listening environment, the Schroeder frequency falls between 100 and 200 Hz. You can calculate it by dividing your room’s reverberation time in seconds by the volume of your room in cubic meters, then multiplying the square root of that sum by 2000."

Source:
Brent Butterworth of S&M

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I did ask for pictures before but didn't think you did, would you mind telling me the post# please? I am not that lazy but you got a lot of pages now and it keep growing, like faster than me taking breaks!!:D

And in return, I'll save you time searching for Schroeder:

"Schroeder’s sound science
The scientist who first noted a room’s split acoustical personality (if you will) was a German physicist named Dr. Manfred Schroeder. (Not to be confused with Schrödinger, the dude who discovered that a cat explodes if you put it in the microwave.) Back in 1954, Schroeder referred to the frequency at which rooms go from being resonators to being reflectors/diffusors as the “crossover frequency.” We now call it the Schroeder frequency."

"In a typical residential listening environment, the Schroeder frequency falls between 100 and 200 Hz. You can calculate it by dividing your room’s reverberation time in seconds by the volume of your room in cubic meters, then multiplying the square root of that sum by 2000."

Source:
Brent Butterworth of S&M

Page 6 post 105, 106. Idk how to get them on here so I had lovin put them on here for me. I was assuming you looked at them judging by the comment you made about the rear subs being connected by a y-splitter.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Page 6 post 105, 106. Idk how to get them on here so I had lovin put them on here for me. I was assuming you looked at them judging by the comment you made about the rear subs being connected by a y-splitter.
Thank you, actually I have seen those but was confused and thought those were HD, or Ryan's.
Also, confused because I first thought you had two front subs and two rear subs and you connected the FL, RL with a Y and FR, RR with another Y, but later you said that was your old setup and now you have only 1 rear sub.

Anyway, from what I can see in those pictures, the room does not seem to be large, but more like medium, by THX standard. Just eyeballing without knowing the dimensions LXWXH.

One thing for sure, worth repeating is that based on Audyssey's recommendations, you should always Y connect the equidistance (to your MMP) subs, so in this case, the FL and FR together, and RL, RR together.

If I got it right, you now have the distances and volume finally sorted up, so congrats, and time to focus on actually enjoying such a nice setup that should be great for movies, even serious two channel music listening.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Thank you, actually I have seen those but was confused and thought those were HD, or Ryan's.
Also, confused because I first thought you had two front subs and two rear subs and you connected the FL, RL with a Y and FR, RR with another Y, but later you said that was your old setup and now you have only 1 rear sub.

Anyway, from what I can see in those pictures, the room does not seem to be large, but more like medium, by THX standard. Just eyeballing without knowing the dimensions LXWXH.

One thing for sure, worth repeating is that based on Audyssey's recommendations, you should always Y connect the equidistance (to your MMP) subs, so in this case, the FL and FR together, and RL, RR together.

If I got it right, you now have the distances and volume finally sorted up, so congrats, and time to focus on actually enjoying such a nice setup that should be great for movies, even serious two channel music listening.
My listening area is 19x13x8. I know you multiply those three numbers to get the cubic volume of your room but since mine opens up on the left side to rest of basement, I thought I had to go by the entire basement, that’s why I asked about large. I calculated it before but can’t remember the dam dimensions off hand, I think 29x31x8.
Yea, switching the rear sub to the sub1 output on avr worked, I had not heard about that before until prime time guy posted that. The volumes I had to kinda get in the red a little on app since I couldn’t see a dB level like on the level matching screen on avr. It set the rear to -5.5 and fronts to -7.5. The rear I think needs to be set at least couple dB below fronts so I don’t just notice the rear when I’m watching movies, which I can’t necessarily say I can hear it first now, bass sounds like it’s all around me. I’ve been debating whether to try and get the rear to be set by the app at -7.5 and fronts to -9.5 or just leave it alone.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Have you ever thought about closing off the theater with a wall?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Have you ever thought about closing off the theater with a wall?
I did/have/still do but really I should of just done it when I was redoing things down there in 17. Plus where I built the bar, people are able to see the tv. I did add a 40in tv above kegerator but even with me when I’m drinking at bar, especially during college football season, I’ve got two different games on that I watch.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My listening area is 19x13x8. I know you multiply those three numbers to get the cubic volume of your room but since mine opens up on the left side to rest of basement, I thought I had to go by the entire basement, that’s why I asked about large. I calculated it before but can’t remember the dam dimensions off hand, I think 29x31x8.
Yea, switching the rear sub to the sub1 output on avr worked, I had not heard about that before until prime time guy posted that. The volumes I had to kinda get in the red a little on app since I couldn’t see a dB level like on the level matching screen on avr. It set the rear to -5.5 and fronts to -7.5. The rear I think needs to be set at least couple dB below fronts so I don’t just notice the rear when I’m watching movies, which I can’t necessarily say I can hear it first now, bass sounds like it’s all around me. I’ve been debating whether to try and get the rear to be set by the app at -7.5 and fronts to -9.5 or just leave it alone.
For spl and power calculations, what matters most is the seating distance. As for room size, yours is only open to one side and there are all kinds of barriers such as staircase partition wall, pillars. Both front and rear subs have a good size wall behind them and on on side so to me it is still more like a medium size or medium large size room even for low frequency effects. I usually leave the sub levels along, or jack both up by equal amount, say 2-3 dB. If you like how it is how, just leave it alone too. It is what you like that matters, especially when unlike some of us who enjoy measuring things, in this case, with REW.

As for the Schroeder frequency thing, I would just keep it simple and set it to anything between 200 and 300 Hz. You can also flip back and forth between 200 Hz and say 1000 Hz and hear for yourself, don't be surprised if you prefer the higher limit.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

I was down there yesterday playing around and I shut the rear one off to see if I could hear or feel a huge difference and there wasn’t. Front two by themselves sounded really good and strong and then added the rear in and it just added more impact. Obviously the rear is near field behind me so I feel it but I felt the front two too and the rear just adds more, can’t really say I hear rear first. To me it sounded pretty dam balanced. To bad none of you guys are close to me to hear it for yourselves. I’ve found nobody here that’s in to HT like myself not even any of my friends. None of the HT shops I’ll stop into have any clue when I ask about rew or mini dsp, they just say we use a spl meter and set sub to 75db. You’d figure they would have someone there who would pay attention to this kind of stuff and learn it

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was down there yesterday playing around and I shut the rear one off to see if I could hear or feel a huge difference and there wasn’t. Front two by themselves sounded really good and strong and then added the rear in and it just added more impact. Obviously the rear is near field behind me so I feel it but I felt the front two too and the rear just adds more, can’t really say I hear rear first. To me it sounded pretty dam balanced. To bad none of you guys are close to me to hear it for yourselves. I’ve found nobody here that’s in to HT like myself not even any of my friends. None of the HT shops I’ll stop into have any clue when I ask about rew or mini dsp, they just say we use a spl meter and set sub to 75db. You’d figure they would have someone there who would pay attention to this kind of stuff and learn it
Sound like you have the potential to become a full blown resident expert on Room EQ.:D I guess the only thing holding you back is your seemingly busy work schedule right?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I get it’s a business for them and need to sell products but I seem more educated on this stuff more than them and by no means am some expert, I’m still learning

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
To bad none of you guys are close to me to hear it for yourselves. I’ve found nobody here that’s in to HT like myself not even any of my friends.
Host an open Bar and some Steaks on the Grill it's amazing how many will make the trip to hear your system

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis