Moving to NAS and modernizing

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have been in a flat file world for quite a while now and I'd agree with Jim's basic statement of "you'll never go back". I don't think I could ever go back to a platter spinning in a player now that I've been on easy street for so long. When I do get a small itch for a platter, I pick up a vinyl record and slap it on the turntable. That usually fixes me up for quite a while.
One of the great things about our hobby is the variety of ways to make sound. For every style of making music there seems to be a champion. I truly enjoy the variety. I wish I could afford more stuff. Of course, if I bought more stuff I would need a bigger house to put it in. :)
I meant spinning as in discs...:)

Yeah, more than a few times I used my laptop and streamed some nice playlists for some gatherings...while frustrating sometimes, it wet the appetite for something more stable, so I can see what Jim meant.

I can still appreciate vinyl, but I think it was ‘84 or 85, I sold my entire vinyl collection to one guy...maybe 300 LPs at the time...never looked back and never even had the itch to really.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@Bucknekked Plex introduced a new music metadata system with the newest server version. I've been playing around and it's pretty fantastic so far. Might even make things easier for you.

Its version 1.18.0.1846

Release notes.

Plex Media Server 1.18.0.1846 is available to PlexPass users in the Beta update channel
Starting with this Plex Media Server release, we’re introducing new and improved features for music libraries: better matching, improved metadata, better artwork, and more! There are no longer “basic” vs “premium” music libraries; there is just a single type of music library. Plex Pass subscribers will continue having access to premium music-related features (automatic lyrics, Sweet Fades, loudness leveling, visualizers, etc.) just like before.
Visit our Upgrading Plex Music Libraries 11 forum topic to get started!
NEW:
  • (Library) Brand new music scanner and metadata system! More details at https://support.plex.tv/articles/upgrade-music-libraries-new-metadata-system/ 17
  • (BIF) Improved performance when generating media indexes (#10455)
  • (DVR) Now supports team and sport tags in XMLTV guide data (#6272).
  • (Library) Add an “Unmatched” filter.
  • (Library) Allow artist/album title override during fix match.
  • (Library) Improved music library preferences.
  • (Library) Magic shuffle heuristics now employed in many more scenarios (e.g. smart playlists).
  • (Library) Maximum number of On Deck items is now a preference.
  • (Library) Mood now works for artists and albums, and add new style tag.
  • (Library) Support for reading OGG tags.
  • (Transcoder) Support for zero-copy hardware transcoding on Windows with Intel GPUs
  • (Web) Updated to 4.8.3

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
@Bucknekked Plex introduced a new music metadata system with the newest server version. I've been playing around and it's pretty fantastic so far. Might even make things easier for you.

Its version 1.18.0.1846

Release notes.

Plex Media Server 1.18.0.1846 is available to PlexPass users in the Beta update channel
Starting with this Plex Media Server release, we’re introducing new and improved features for music libraries: better matching, improved metadata, better artwork, and more! There are no longer “basic” vs “premium” music libraries; there is just a single type of music library. Plex Pass subscribers will continue having access to premium music-related features (automatic lyrics, Sweet Fades, loudness leveling, visualizers, etc.) just like before.
Visit our Upgrading Plex Music Libraries 11 forum topic to get started!
NEW:
  • (Library) Brand new music scanner and metadata system! More details at https://support.plex.tv/articles/upgrade-music-libraries-new-metadata-system/ 17
  • (BIF) Improved performance when generating media indexes (#10455)
  • (DVR) Now supports team and sport tags in XMLTV guide data (#6272).
  • (Library) Add an “Unmatched” filter.
  • (Library) Allow artist/album title override during fix match.
  • (Library) Improved music library preferences.
  • (Library) Magic shuffle heuristics now employed in many more scenarios (e.g. smart playlists).
  • (Library) Maximum number of On Deck items is now a preference.
  • (Library) Mood now works for artists and albums, and add new style tag.
  • (Library) Support for reading OGG tags.
  • (Transcoder) Support for zero-copy hardware transcoding on Windows with Intel GPUs
  • (Web) Updated to 4.8.3
Thank you for the heads up. I will check on what version I have installed and do the upgrade if I haven't reached that level yet. The movement of transcoding off the CPU and on to a GPU if you have one installed also looks like a good deal. I have more invested in my GE Force 1080TI than in my whole motherboard/cpu setup. Good idea to make use of it to transcode on the fly instead of the CPU.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you for the heads up. I will check on what version I have installed and do the upgrade if I haven't reached that level yet. The movement of transcoding off the CPU and on to a GPU if you have one installed also looks like a good deal. I have more invested in my GE Force 1080TI than in my whole motherboard/cpu setup. Good idea to make use of it to transcode on the fly instead of the CPU.
Yep. I recently put a GTX 1050 in my server just for hardware decode/encode. Made a large difference.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Hm. Thanks for the update. I may have to give Plex another look.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hm. Thanks for the update. I may have to give Plex another look.
I can say that it has done a significantly better job at identifying my music than in the past. I always had some stuff that wasn't all that organized and didn't really care too much. Now it's finding things (correctly) on it's own. Very nice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis