Monster Cable is Back! Sues Mini-Golf Company

K

Kn9Sly

Enthusiast
By Odin's grey *** hairs, does anyone else wish for lightning bolts to rain down upon the measley money-hooded heads of the gray suits at Monster Cable? I googled this lawsuit BS and got about 12.6 million more reasons to hate these guys. I cried out a garfield worthy aaargh and slapped a hand over my eyes, before I sent out a boycott petition to my sheeplike colleages who will rip their monster cables out of the wall and make pubic wigs out of them. Buy. Blue. Jeans.

A few of my friends and I have sent the nice folks at best buy my calm but resolute tirade in which I informed them that no one within a 50 mile radius of me will be buying this product any longer and we should increase the radius.

Best Buy Public Relations Department
Email: NewsCenter@bestbuy.com
Phone: 612-292-NEWS (6397)
After Hours Pager: 612-618-6703

Don't forget to get your Sam Jackson on... y'know quote something from revelations or whatever.

K

Kn9Sly

Enthusiast
B

boycott MC

Banned
But I think he was born with a heart and we are hoping someone dusts it off...or oils it up...or just plain defrosts it and he once again can become human. It's not just about legal fees, though we are certainly due those back, it about realzing what has been done and avoiding it in the future.
Please !!!!! STOP KISSING MR. LEES Butt !! A man with a hart does not go around suing others like he has.
Stop demeaning your self just because you want you expense's back.

If anything you should get your $$$$ PLUS 20% for pain and suffering.

( Did you know that Monster Cable makes over $ 500,000.000 )

Don't back down now appealing to his " Hart ".

That lives a sour taste in our collective mouths

Boycott Monster Cable ! :cool:

Last edited:
B

Black Santa

Audiophyte
BEST BUY Made the Naughty List

Ho Ho Ho, Oh dear! It looks to me like Best Buy has been very Bad this year for continuing to support Monster Cable products. I cant help thinking that they must have heard story after story of Monster Cables’ underhanded pricing/marketing, or how they extort (for lack of a more appropriate word) money and trademarks out of small business using BULLY tactics. And (Google is a wonderful thing) so many archived stories of Monster Cables greed and oppression.

Well Best Buy, you are on alert!!

All of my Elves know how to reach out to Best Buy and you should too:

Best Buy Public Relations Department
Email: NewsCenter(AT)bestbuy.com
Phone: 612-292-NEWS (6397)
After Hours Pager: 612-618-6703

(can't post email address' yet hence the (AT)... get it?)

I almost forgot. I can't wait to make my appearance in Vegas at CES. Yes, that’s right, I’m goin’ and I have a stocking full of coal (among other things) with Noel’s name on it!!

D

diapuse

Audiophyte
Boycotting MC products

I've been using MC cables for years. In light of all this lawsuit nonsense, I will boycott their products, and encourage everyone I know to do so by word-of-mouth and social networks, until MC's lawsuit against Monster Mini Golf is permanently dismissed and legal fees reimbursed.

Also, I've written to Best Buy intimating the same. Thanks for the contact info Black Santa.

Keep up the fight everyone!

Ted
Ann Arbor, MI

J

JP1221

Enthusiast
Guns for Toys, or rather, Monster for Blue Jeans???

This might seem like a stupid question but is there any way this forum or its affiliates could organize some sort of Monster products turn-in? As I am just now learning the ins and outs of home audio (and the ethics therein), I unfortunately own several HDMI and optical audio cables made by Satan aka Monster which were purchased over the last few years. I would like to get rid of them and see everyone else who owns Monster products do the same. Would it be possible to organize some type of large-scale collection of Monster products and offer something in return like a one-time 10% discount off Blue Jeans or other sponsor's products (kinda like when the cops hold events for people to turn in their guns and give gift certificates, etc in return)? I don't know if this is something that is even feasible but it seems to me like it would generate some buzz and at the same time give an incentive to those who might be hesitant to simply throw away $100+ cables. Is this doable???

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Why?

Your sentiments and anger are valid and laudable but the approach needs a litttle thinking through.

They already have your money. Remember, there never was an issue with their quality, just their asking price and business ethics. Turning in stuff you paid for will only cost us more money to replace and, for me at least, that's in short supply. There's no need to cut off ones nose to spite one's face.

At least one other cable maker (Blue Jeans Cable) is donating towards MMG's defense fund when you buy certain products from their web site.

And, Monster cables don't harm people, guns do.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
This might seem like a stupid question but is there any way this forum or its affiliates could organize some sort of Monster products turn-in? As I am just now learning the ins and outs of home audio (and the ethics therein), I unfortunately own several HDMI and optical audio cables made by Satan aka Monster which were purchased over the last few years. I would like to get rid of them and see everyone else who owns Monster products do the same. Would it be possible to organize some type of large-scale collection of Monster products and offer something in return like a one-time 10% discount off Blue Jeans or other sponsor's products (kinda like when the cops hold events for people to turn in their guns and give gift certificates, etc in return)? I don't know if this is something that is even feasible but it seems to me like it would generate some buzz and at the same time give an incentive to those who might be hesitant to simply throw away $100+ cables. Is this doable???
I'd say a better approach would be to simply organize an event in which people from all over are invited to come and pile their Monster products (not just cables mind you - power strips, connectors, what have you) into a large pit, and set it ablaze. Send the video straight to the offices of Noel Lee - as Markw said, the company already has your money, I believe it would be a more powerful statement to destroy the very product(s) you purchased and paid for with said money, knowing that the statement in itself is far worthier than any discount that you may receive in return.

And FWIW, those $100 cables you got from Monster - you could get the same and likely better for much less $$ from Blue Jeans cable anyway. ;)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, hypothetically speaking, of course...

Monster doesn't sell to people. They sell to stores. Stores mark up the product and make mucho grande profits.

What if people bought monster cables from their local retailer, took them out of their expensive packing, saved that, tried them, found they didn't like them, repackaged them, and returned them?

Remember, each electronic transaction, credit purchase or return, costs the merchant a few pennies. In businesses, those pennies can add up! I dealt with merchant services for a while.

Now, when you return a repackaged ("save all packing materials") item, they obviously can't get the same $$ as they would for a "virgin" so their profit margin is a bit impinged when they are forced to sell it as an "open box" item.

That. plus the processing charges, well, one bite at a time...

But, of course, this would never happen, would it?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Monster doesn't sell to people. They sell to stores. Stores mark up the product and make mucho grande profits.

What if people bought monster cables from their local retailer, took them out of their expensive packing, saved that, tried them, found they didn't like them, repackaged them, and returned them?

Remember, each electronic transaction, credit purchase or return, costs the merchant a few pennies. In businesses, those pennies can add up! I dealt with merchant services for a while.

Now, when you return a repackaged ("save all packing materials") item, they obviously can't get the same $$ as they would for a "virgin" so their profit margin is a bit impinged when they are forced to sell it as an "open box" item.

I think it's a much more complicated endeavor to go that route, and doesn't really have the dramatic effect that one might take from seeing a pile of burning Monster Cables, hehe... IMHO. :D It's like chipping away at a giant, they may or may not ever feel the sting, and don't think too many consumers would go through the trouble just to formulate a protest. :) And it wouldn't get the attention it deserves - however, a pile of burning cables may just make the evening news at 6, at the very least. ;)

OTOH, what you say is indeed very true, and pennies do add up, even for a major corporation.

Funny story - I was in my local cable company's store this weekend, swapping out one of my cable boxes, and as I was getting the new one, casually asked the sales guy if they had any HDMI cables they give out with the HD STB's, as I didn't have any left at the house and figured it would be better than running out and buying a new one somewhere. To which he replied, "Sure, we have some, but they're not Monster Cables or anything like that...". I looked at him funny, and felt compelled to educate this nice young man on what Monster Cable really is - and most importantly what it isn't, and filled him in on all the atrocious business practices MC has been extolling over the past few years. He seemed genuinely surprised, and said that yes, he had heard of several things like that, but never really looked into it too much. THEN - he proceeded to say, "Well, if they're like that, I don't think I'll ever buy another Monster Cable again..." Then I happily took my generic HDMI cable and left the store, completely satisfied, that I had brought yet another one's attention to the craziness that surrounds MC. MC, it will be a long, hard road for you to restore my faith in your company and your product, and I am surrounded by tens of thousands like me. Best of luck to you... :mad:

Hey guess what, that generic HDMI works every bit as good as any Monster Cable I've ever seen...whodathunkit. :D

B

boycott MC

Banned

Boycott Monster cable

lets start a campain to do just that. pick a date as " Buy and return Monster products"
People from all over the world would go into thier favorate store and buy, then return it the next day and send the return resept to monster cable.
I also like the burning of thier products via the news tv.

J

JP1221

Enthusiast
Maybe I was misunderstood...

Your sentiments and anger are valid and laudable but the approach needs a litttle thinking through.

They already have your money. Remember, there never was an issue with their quality, just their asking price and business ethics. Turning in stuff you paid for will only cost us more money to replace and, for me at least, that's in short supply. There's no need to cut off ones nose to spite one's face.
When I suggested a mass turn-in of Monster products I wasn't for a second disputing or questioning their build quality or A/V performance. Additionally, when I suggested that people recieve some sort of "quid pro quo" in the form of a discount from Blue Jeans or other retailers, it wasn't intended so much for people to actually recieve anything as it was to help persuade those who were disgusted with Monster but were reluctant to part with expensive equipment into doing so.

I purchased copious amounts of Monster equipment (including the not-so-distant past) and although I realize I can't go back in time and undo it or even get my money back from them in the present, I don't have to keep using their products. In fact, in light of their recent litigous free-for-all, I am actually sickened and am uncomfortable using their products. I have a special place in my heart for people or companies who file frivolous lawsuits with reckless abandon.

I was simply trying to support the ever-growing anti-Monster movement and issue a kind of "call to arms" that I felt would garner attention from both Monster and people who may not yet be aware of their misdeeds. Apparently I should just shut up and color. :(

J

JP1221

Enthusiast
At least one other cable maker (Blue Jeans Cable) is donating towards MMG's defense fund when you buy certain products from their web site.
That's why I specifically name-checked Blue Jeans in my original message. :)

J

JP1221

Enthusiast
I'd say a better approach would be to simply organize an event in which people from all over are invited to come and pile their Monster products (not just cables mind you - power strips, connectors, what have you) into a large pit, and set it ablaze. Send the video straight to the offices of Noel Lee - as Markw said, the company already has your money, I believe it would be a more powerful statement to destroy the very product(s) you purchased and paid for with said money, knowing that the statement in itself is far worthier than any discount that you may receive in return.
That is along the lines of what I was thinking but figured I'd leave it up to those much smarter than myself to decide the fate of the "tainted" products. :D

I agree that to be able to show Monster that people won't use their products (and would rather destroy them) even though they already paid good money (way, WAY too much of it) for them would send a very strong message.

Again, as far as the discount goes, it was intended to be completely nominal. Basically a way to "nudge" reluctant people into action and get some of the good-guy companies on-line with the whole thing. ;)

J

JP1221

Enthusiast
And FWIW, those $100 cables you got from Monster - you could get the same and likely better for much less $$ from Blue Jeans cable anyway. ;)
Yep... I found that out thanks to this forum. I'll be doing business with them VERY soon. :D

J

JP1221

Enthusiast

I don't see why it couldn't... Or shouldn't. The almighty dollar is really where you can hit a company like Monster. Although I do like Halon's "Monster Inferno" idea A LOT. :D

I think all it would take is someone organizing something concrete and high-profile to bring the spotlight on Monster's wretched business practices. You have to figure that even if it only involved the members (and possibly even trolls) of A/V forums, the number would be in the tens of thousands. Time to unite the ancient clans!!! :D

J

JP1221

Enthusiast
Term of the Day

Vexatious Litigation: Legal action which is brought, regardless of its merits, solely to harass or subdue an adversary. It may take the form of a primary frivolous lawsuit or may be the repetitive, burdensome, and unwarranted filing of meritless motions in a matter which is otherwise a meritorious cause of action. Filing vexatious litigation is considered an abuse of the judicial process and may result in sanctions against the offender.

Or it may take the form of Noel Lee... :eek:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Vexatious Litigation: Legal action which is brought, regardless of its merits, solely to harass or subdue an adversary. It may take the form of a primary frivolous lawsuit or may be the repetitive, burdensome, and unwarranted filing of meritless motions in a matter which is otherwise a meritorious cause of action. Filing vexatious litigation is considered an abuse of the judicial process and may result in sanctions against the offender.

Or it may take the form of Noel Lee... :eek:
An abuse of the judicial process?? No, sir - surely you jest! :D I'm head over heels in love with the idea of watching MC crash and burn on account of all this - granted it may take a while, but you know what they say, bigger they are, the harder they fall, and as I'm watching events unfold, it is clear that those wheels are already in motion. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis