Monoprice Monolith 7-Channel Amplifier Review

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Samurai
About comparing amplifiers, many years ago before they were bought up, McIntosh were conducting audio clinics in audio shops in Canada but I don't know if they were doing the same in the US.
My best friend who was then managing one of the audio stores in Montreal then reported what McIntosh reps were doing:

"Any audiophile was invited to bring his amp for testing. They started by measuring one of their own power amps, and then put the amp which was brought on the bench for the test. They were using a Variac for the tests, and when testing other manufacturers' products, they reduced the voltage on the Variac to something like 95 volts to make sure the other amplifier would not perform as well."

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Overlord
About comparing amplifiers, many years ago before they were bought up, McIntosh were conducting audio clinics in audio shops in Canada but I don't know if they were doing the same in the US.
My best friend who was then managing one of the audio stores in Montreal then reported what McIntosh reps were doing:

"Any audiophile was invited to bring his amp for testing. They started by measuring one of their own power amps, and then put the amp which was brought on the bench for the test. They were using a Variac for the tests, and when testing other manufacturers. products, they reduced the voltage on the Variac to something like 95 volts to make sure the other amplifier would not perform as well."
Even if there isn't any such tricks being performed, imo a simple rule to follow is, never based one's decision on a dealer rep who want you to buy the amp he recommends and denmo, even if you hear, or think you hear a better difference. It's not about honesty, but bias, mainly.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Samurai
Even if there isn't any such tricks being performed, imo a simple rule to follow is, never based one's decision on a dealer rep who want you to buy the amp he recommends and denmo, even if you hear, or think you hear a better difference. It's not about honesty, but bias, mainly.
I was relating to a manufacturer's rep not a dealer's rep and that's even worse from a company that was supposed to have a good reputation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Slumlord
Not exactly a new thing to sucker in the sales force themselves.

314carpenter

Enthusiast
Well, I must have been dissatisfied enough with the way 2CH music sounded with the Monolith 7X. I put my Classe CA-150 back into service for the main fronts, leaving 5 channels on the 7X to do the rest. Movies are not as loud/dynamic, but the 7x probably has a higher gain than the Classe. But, I am MUCH happier listening to music again. The 7X was just fatiguing to me. Perhaps the Classe is biased more into class A topology. Warmer.
Just saw this and thought I should jump back in at this point. I will update again later as things here change.

I have been alternating a Classe CAV-150 and Monolith 7X for my open concept listening space for the past year or so. I have decided the Monolith 7x will stay in that room. That setup in that space just has a more pleasing midrange tone, but works functionally the same. The lack of a 12V trigger was also an issue there.

Now the Classe CAV-150 is going through its paces in the dedicated home theater room. I also have a Monolith 7 non-x and will be alternating them back and forth in that space to decide which one I will be keeping long term. Up first I have the Classe running the LCR JBL 250Ti/240Ti 3 channels bridged @300W and the Monolith 7 running surround JBL 250Ti/Jbl L20T3 atmos. Wow my theater rack is doing a great job now warming up that closed up room. Running at about 7 amps idle.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know how I missed that he did his listening tests with a SVS Ultra setup! I know exactly how well it powers the Ultra towers!

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis