Monoprice Monolith 15" THX Ultra Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
No room to move one 4000 near your seat?
Man they would make one he'll of an end table huh? Lol. Man I wish they are just too big. I'd put the PC 4000's behind my seat. But they are like 47 inches tall that's just crazy but those ultra 13's from outlaw will fit back there just perfect. My Dream of awesome quad subs will be complete. Lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Man they would make one he'll of an end table huh? Lol. Man I wish they are just too big. I'd put the PC 4000's behind my seat. But they are like 47 inches tall that's just crazy but those ultra 13's from outlaw will fit back there just perfect. My Dream of awesome quad subs will be complete. Lol
That will add up to a lot of current draw. How is your electrical wired there? I wouldn't want more than two of any of these subs on one circuit.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya 4 subs would be crazy. Even 3 would be. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That will add up to a lot of current draw. How is your electrical wired there? I wouldn't want more than two of any of these subs on one circuit.
I put in 2 20 amp dedicated circuits when I put in those subs I only need one circuit for the PB's according to SVS I'm using the other one for amps. When I get the other two subs which won't be for awhile I'm going to put in one more 20 amp circuit for those back 2 subs.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Thanks for your review, I have owned dual Monolith 15's in my dedicated 250sq ft (1999 cubic sq ft) theater room for about 5 months now and I love these subwoofers. Previous subs include quad sealed DIY 15", Hsu VTF-15H, and several different SVS and eD variants. I have never owned a subwoofer with this type of sound output and your review is spot on. You won't get boomy bass with this subwoofer. I have yet to experience any noticeable port chuffing, You get very tight, linear bass at all frequencies. I have grown very fond indeed of the sound signature of these subs and highly recommend them.

And you can't just look at some charts and measurements either, you really need to experience one of these vs say an SVS, PSA, or Hsu sub. I think Monolith has a winner for sure and I am hoping to get several more of these over the next year or so.

ShadyJ, if you have contact with Monolith please beg them for an 18" version or perhaps dual 15" ported version :)
twin 15's in 256 sq ft, I'm sure the picture frames don't rattle at all.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have asked Monoprice if they are considering an 18", and they said that they are not. An 18" with this kind of build would be too heavy. However, if there was enough demand for such a sub, I am sure they would reconsider...
Hey Shady this thread has been out for a bit . But this is the best place to post this question to you.

You know I've been killing myself brainstorming what I want to do to go up to quad subs. We discussed several options and I was leaning towards the ultra X13's.I just can't get over the fact that they are not going to match my PB 4000's in output. Heck I was even considering building my own. Lol.

However Iooking at your measurements the monolith 15's will be an almost perfect match to my 4000's. In 2 ported mode like I like to run my 2 4000's. The price comes out to almost exactly the same for the ultra's. They will fit behind my couches.

For a little more room behind the walkway there I'd like to turn them sideways. Would positioning them sideways instead of front firing into the back of the couches be an issue? I know bass is technically non directional I can face them towards the back of the couches if needed to tho. The joy of being single.

If this is a workable idea. I think this is what I'm wanting to do. You know I want to own these any way. I came so close to pulling the trigger on these versus the 4000's . I'll probably buy one next year. And another one the year after that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey Shady this thread has been out for a bit . But this is the best place to post this question to you.

You know I've been killing myself brainstorming what I want to do to go up to quad subs. We discussed several options and I was leaning towards the ultra X13's.I just can't get over the fact that they are not going to match my PB 4000's in output. Heck I was even considering building my own. Lol.

However Iooking at your measurements the monolith 15's will be an almost perfect match to my 4000's. In 2 ported mode like I like to run my 2 4000's. The price comes out to almost exactly the same for the ultra's. They will fit behind my couches.

For a little more room behind the walkway there I'd like to turn them sideways. Would positioning them sideways instead of front firing into the back of the couches be an issue? I know bass is technically non directional I can face them towards the back of the couches if needed to tho. The joy of being single.

If this is a workable idea. I think this is what I'm wanting to do. You know I want to own these any way. I came so close to pulling the trigger on these versus the 4000's . I'll probably buy one next year. And another one the year after that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
A question: have you come close to reaching the output limits of your PB-4000s yet? If not, either the Monolith or Outlaw sub will work just fine. It is not an issue if you aren't likely to reach the limits of any of these subs. And anything that you use in the near-field will sound and feel significantly more powerful than other placements.

Positioning them to face to the side rather than facing the listening position will be slightly different, but, like I said, since you are not likely to ever push these to their limits, it's no matter.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
A question: have you come close to reaching the output limits of your PB-4000s yet? If not, either the Monolith or Outlaw sub will work just fine. It is not an issue if you aren't likely to reach the limits of any of these subs. And anything that you use in the near-field will sound and feel significantly more powerful than other placements.

Positioning them to face to the side rather than facing the listening position will be slightly different, but, like I said, since you are not likely to ever push these to their limits, it's no matter.
No I don't believe so with the new Denon reciever the X4400H Audyssey set them at -8 and -7 both subs on -15. And that sounds really good. On some material if I need more juice I boost the reciever trim up 2 or 3 levels leave the subs at -15. But for the most part that setting came out really good. I don't even run them hot. So I'd imagine either choice would work. Since the price is exact I'll go with the Monolith's. I've always wanted to buy them anyway.

If I want to raise the subs level on the PB 4000's what's the best way to do it? I did set the trim on the reciever to -5 and -4 the other day keeping them at -15. Do I need to raise the subs volume as well when I do this? Just want to do it right and not hurt the subs or there amps if I ever want to have fun.

FYI other then near field effect I'm not buying these for output. More for smoothing the response across a wider area. Which is why I'm going to go with the Monoliths. I like how they are a closer match then the outlaws across all frequencies in the same port mode for the same price as the outlaws

I really don't want to build something if I don't have too Lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
No I don't believe so with the new Denon reciever the X4400H Audyssey set them at -8 and -7 both subs on -15. And that sounds really good. On some material if I need more juice I boost the reciever trim up 2 or 3 levels leave the subs at -15. But for the most part that setting came out really good. I don't even run them hot. So I'd imagine either choice would work. Since the price is exact I'll go with the Monolith's. I've always wanted to buy them anyway.

If I want to raise the subs level on the PB 4000's what's the best way to do it? I did set the trim on the reciever to -5 and -4 the other day keeping them at -15. Do I need to raise the subs volume as well when I do this? Just want to do it right and not hurt the subs or there amps if I ever want to have fun.

FYI other then near field effect I'm not buying these for output. More for smoothing the response across a wider area. Which is why I'm going to go with the Monoliths. I like how they are a closer match then the outlaws across all frequencies in the same port mode for the same price as the outlaws

I really don't want to build something if I don't have too Lol
If you want to raise the sub's level, I would do that one the receiver. That way you know what level you can go back to without losing calibration. You can do it on the subwoofer itself as well with the 4000s if you remember the gain level on the sub, with the way SVS has arranged the volume dial.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If you want to raise the sub's level, I would do that one the receiver. That way you know what level you can go back to without losing calibration. You can do it on the subwoofer itself as well with the 4000s if you remember the gain level on the sub, with the way SVS has arranged the volume dial.
Ok thanks

D

Defcon

Audioholic
If this sub was made by one of the 'cool' ID companies, I bet it'd be 10x more popular and people would be raving about it. But since its sold/made by a 'boring' company known for $2 cables, no one knows about it and its not.

Can you imagine the bragging your typical enthusiast ID company would be doing with those distortion numbers and SQ?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If this sub was made by one of the 'cool' ID companies, I bet it'd be 10x more popular and people would be raving about it. But since its sold/made by a 'boring' company known for $2 cables, no one knows about it and its not.

Can you imagine the bragging your typical enthusiast ID company would be doing with those distortion numbers and SQ?
I am not so sure I agree. These subs have gained a lot of attention so far. I do think some people are hesitant to go that route because Monoprice is just not known for this sort of thing, but there is definitely a buzz about these subs online. We had a lot of people inquiring when we were going to run the review of the 15", as well as the 10" and 12". These, along with the 16-Ultras and the Outlaw X13, seemed to be some of the most anticipated reviews that I have had published. I think that the Monolith line is Monoprice's attempt to change their image among audio enthusiasts, and it has been working, to a degree.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am not so sure I agree. These subs have gained a lot of attention so far. I do think some people are hesitant to go that route because Monoprice is just not known for this sort of thing, but there is definitely a buzz about these subs online. We had a lot of people inquiring when we were going to run the review of the 15", as well as the 10" and 12". These, along with the 16-Ultras and the Outlaw X13, seemed to be some of the most anticipated reviews that I have had published. I think that the Monolith line is Monoprice's attempt to change their image among audio enthusiasts, and it has been working, to a degree.
I suspect there is still some amount of stigma associated with buying quality gear from Monoprice. However, among those paying attention on-line, establishing that the Monolith amps were manufactured by ATI and not "dummied down" in any significant way opened peoples mind to taking Monoprice's Monolith series serious.
My impression is Monolith amps and subs are great, Monolith speakers not quite in the same league.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I've seen a couple threads here and on Avs but nothing like the hundreds of posts about the regular ID companies and even in those threads even after universal acclaim people still have doubts. I've also never seen anyone recommend a Monoprice sub in any of the 'which sub' threads.

Personally I can say that the huge size/weight is something of a blocker for me, its the same reason I rule out the monster subs from other companies, but with these a 10-12, 13=15 and 15=18 or even more.

Monoprice probably do quite well with other products, but if they got some marketing people who had a forum presence, like the founders of ID companies, and spread the word, then I bet they would sell a lot more, the product is definitely superior to almost any competitor.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've seen a couple threads here and on Avs but nothing like the hundreds of posts about the regular ID companies and even in those threads even after universal acclaim people still have doubts. I've also never seen anyone recommend a Monoprice sub in any of the 'which sub' threads.

Personally I can say that the huge size/weight is something of a blocker for me, its the same reason I rule out the monster subs from other companies, but with these a 10-12, 13=15 and 15=18 or even more.

Monoprice probably do quite well with other products, but if they got some marketing people who had a forum presence, like the founders of ID companies, and spread the word, then I bet they would sell a lot more, the product is definitely superior to almost any competitor.
FWIW, the monolith subs have been recommended quite a bit at AH.
You have to remember, for a long time monoprice was not known for exceptional products, other than good old fashioned well built cables. While monoprice was busy with that, and mediocre speakers and stuff, SVS was paving the way for ID manufacturers with the best customer service ever, and products that just weren’t available in any capacity. Over a decade of fandom and people singing the praises carries a LOT of weight, and not by accident. Because of this, it’s easy to recommend known qualities/quantities and be skeptical of a company who up until recently, was NOT known for high end products. Their CS is also known to be sketchy.
As @KEW pointed out, the ATI amp relationship really got people’s attention and helped put a spotlight on the monolith subwoofer line. Other I’d companies have not rewritten the book, but have definitely upped the value quotient for sure. This makes it really difficult for monoprice to get traction. The good thing for them is, pretty much every owner report of the monolith subs has been excellent as well as professional reviews. These things take time and that’s about it. 2 years ago I would never have considered a monoprice subwoofer. Now I definitely would.
I have ZERO reservations of size and weight personally. Even if I need a helper, I wouldn’t need to move them once in place.
Manufacturer presence can go a really long ways, I agree, but it’s just gonna take more time before people automatically associate the name monolith with the same feelings as the other usual suspects. They’ve definitely taken a turn in the right direction and should have no trouble carving out a spot among the best.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Keep in mind that I live in an apartment, so just the fact that I am considering these subs makes me crazy to begin with. But I will need to move for sure, maybe multiple times, and size/weight are a concern.

This is why I have a fondness for cylinder subs which are 1/2 the weight and floor space with no compromise in performance. I'm sad that no one makes them besides some high end SVS models and even they sell a lot more MDF boxes I'm sure.

Is the HDF in Monolith subs actually contributing to the sound or does it just add weight?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Keep in mind that I live in an apartment, so just the fact that I am considering these subs makes me crazy to begin with. But I will need to move for sure, maybe multiple times, and size/weight are a concern.

This is why I have a fondness for cylinder subs which are 1/2 the weight and floor space with no compromise in performance. I'm sad that no one makes them besides some high end SVS models and even they sell a lot more MDF boxes I'm sure.

Is the HDF in Monolith subs actually contributing to the sound or does it just add weight?
Apartment living definitely changes the parameters huh?! I also like the cylinders. In fact 2/3 of my subs are cylinders!

Can’t say for sure hdf would contribute a lot. I like to think though that it would, and if I were designing a sub would choose it. Someone might test the theory sometime.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
HDF isn't really a benefit over MDF in loudspeakers since it is stiffer and doesn't damp resonance as well as MDF. But subs don't hit those frequencies. Personally I don't think HDF assists in sound reproduction in anyway outside of the extra weight helping to make the cabinet that much more inert, but it does make the subwoofer tougher and might be a bit less susceptible to moisture damage as well.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
HDF isn't really a benefit over MDF in loudspeakers since it is stiffer and doesn't damp resonance as well as MDF.
Sorry James, I have to disagree with that statement. A stiffer and denser material like HDF would reduce cabinet resonance! I agree that the stiffer/denser walls would result in a stronger reflected signal inside the cabinet (or more internal resonance). Speaker design has always suggested the more rigid the cabinet the better. IOW, minimize cabinet resonance and deal with the interior reflections in a different manner.

Based on your post, one might infer that the Monoliths are less well damped than MDF subs, and I doubt that is the case. I'm guessing they address the damping in a very competent way (based on the other indications of high quality design/engineering). Whether the differences are audible is an entirely different issue.
You would know! How well damped are the Monoliths?

Also, I think it is worth stating we are talking theory here. I'm not at all sure that the advantages of MDF outweigh the disadvantages in practice. Certainly it is not a feature to base a buying decision on and a thicker MDF wall/baffle would be better (more rigid) than thin HDF.

Actually, if I had to address this issue professionally, I bet you could, with some measurement, determine a conversion factor such as a thickness of 1.00" of HDF = 1.15" of MDF to establish equivalency of mechanical properties (to be clear, that is a made up number just to demonstrate what I mean).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis