Monoprice Monolith 15" THX Ultra Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Revel is kind of a special case as they are by Harmon, who actually do care about science and measure their speakers etc.

But even in the 5k-20k/speaker there are plenty of companies who are not shall we say value for money as far as sound quality goes. One name that comes to mind is B&W. They measure poorly yet are extremely popular and have a very recognizable look.

If someone was selling a 15-18" sonotube sub or even a DIY kit, I'd buy it. You can easily place them in corners, thats where I have my SVS cylinder right now.
Man I know right I wish somebody sold a 15-18 DIY kit sonotube sub. I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Probably the reason except for weight issues why it doesn't matter what you use on subwoofers when you think about it
Rigidity still matters.
If you had a flimsy sub, sound would be emitted from the sidewalls. You really want to limit the source points to the driver and port.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Rigidity still matters.
If you had a flimsy sub, sound would be emitted from the sidewalls. You really want to limit the source points to the driver and port.
Hah hah hah that's what she said!!!! :eek::D

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Hsu stopped selling cylinders because the demand for box subs was vastly more than the cylinders. I imagine that the demand for box subs is much more at SVS too. I wouldn't be surprised if the box subs outsold the cylinder subs at a 10 to 1 ratio.
This is exactly what I suspect as well and its a pretty sad state of affairs. Its simply a matter of marketing and choice since making sonotubes doesnt need new tooling etc and could be done for much cheaper, e.g. if SVS wanted to add a 15" cylinder.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is exactly what I suspect as well and its a pretty sad state of affairs. Its simply a matter of marketing and choice since making sonotubes doesnt need new tooling etc and could be done for much cheaper, e.g. if SVS wanted to add a 15" cylinder.
Hell maybe it could be done for much cheaper but I doubght they would when you consider they're PC 4000's retail for like $1800 I believe

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I'm actually going to try and contact Eric from DIYSG and see if they would be interested in a sonotube kit - they have a lot of good DIY speaker/sub kits.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm actually going to try and contact Eric from DIYSG and see if they would be interested in a sonotube kit - they have a lot of good DIY speaker/sub kits.
Hey if you find anything out let me know I'm actually interested in building a couple down the road myself

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey if you find anything out let me know I'm actually interested in building a couple down the road myself
You are going to try to build them like the PC4000 but shorter and fatter?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You are going to try to build them like the PC4000 but shorter and fatter?
Yes exactly I was thinking cuz sonotube comes in different sizes. Like 20 inches in diameter and up to 43 inches in height so they don't stick over my couch. But I need to calculate the exact volume and size I'd need I wonder what I could tune them to in a sonotube of that size? It'll be cool to find out. I'm figuring since I just took off 4 inches off the top and slapped it on the diameter that's the size I'd need but I need to make sure

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Yup I would also want a 15" (maybe 18") driver, I think there are a few low cost ones from Dayton that people on Avs DIY forum have used successfully vs spednig $300-400 on driver. And have a port that can be sealed if needed.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yup I would also want a 15" (maybe 18") driver, I think there are a few low cost ones from Dayton that people on Avs DIY forum have used successfully vs spednig $300-400 on driver. And have a port that can be sealed if needed.
If either of us make any progress well have to keep each other posted

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis