Monolith subwoofers and Monoprice

I

Imureh

Audioholic Intern
The issue with their ported subs suffering from port noise has been an ongoing issue. There have been very lengthy and heated discussions over at AVS about the issue. Usually people who complain get their posts deleted. I did work with Tom but he can get very rude at times, and this is also well documented. The guy in this video had a big issue with port noise straight from the factory and Tom was a jerk working with him. You would be fine with their sealed designs and the S1801 has good feedback.The port gets overloaded way before the driver does in the V1801, which isn't a problem with the S1801.
Guess you were done trolling on AVS. By the way for your information, this particular individual found out that his MLP was in a huge null, once he moved the placement of sub, he has been raving about the sub. 99.9% of PSA sub owners have never experienced port noise and the 0.1% that did not have their subs set up right.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Listen, I have had SVS, RBH, Reaction, Definitive Tech < I know DefTech kinda iffy , all kinds of bad ass subs and these simply are not it at all.
The red flag for me is the claims of having had many top named performers as a source of credibility, to where if that was the truth, where are they all now? Good audio equipment lasts a decade at least, and once you find Mecca, you typically hang out for awhile.

Seriously though, if you have went through all kinds of "bad ass" subs, something is wrong if you haven't found any that made you happy. This makes your claims seem a bit. . . . exaggerative.

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Esteemed AH enthusiasts:
I don't know the OP, and from reading his post, I have no idea what his issues are with the Monolith.
That's a red flag for me. If an OP goes on a rant with no specifics but plenty of vindictive, that says a lot.
If there's a real issue with an audio component, most OP's will clearly state what it is first. His first reply to a question sounded a lot like a reply to a magic cable experience "I know what I heard.....don't tell me....."

I'm as happy as I can be with my 10" Monolith. I may be no golden eared subwoofer expert, but mine works better than I could have hoped for the $500 bucks. Subs aren't asked to do a lot. As they say in those memes "You had just one job". Subs are like that. The OP may have received a bad/defective unit.
Don't know.

If anybody asks me about my sub, and I get an occasion to comment on it from time to time, I can give a two thumbs up, this OP notwithstanding. No specifics, no real concerns from this neck of the woods.
Yes Im was way to angry from the subs performance to sit and list all the different setting and the result of each but the end review as a whole is the same, the sub sucked ( to me ) , I am so happy you love yours, that is wonderful but for me and what I am used to, it was terrible. Dont try to discredit me because I didnt list stats, I dont want to fight people, I just want to help other people like me not to get ripped off buying that 10" playtoy

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes Im was way to angry from the subs performance to sit and list all the different setting and the result of each but the end review as a whole is the same, the sub sucked ( to me ) , I am so happy you love yours, that is wonderful but for me and what I am used to, it was terrible. Dont try to discredit me because I didnt list stats, I dont want to fight people, I just want to help other people like me not to get ripped off buying that 10" playtoy
I haven't seen a review yet, just some complaining without qualifiers. As you can see from others that have experience with the sub, they are not upset with them. Paying return shipping on a defective sub doesn't sound like monoprice. I've been purchasing from them for quite a while and never had customer service issues.

I'd try to articulate your situation better so maybe some amicable resolution can be obtained. If you Re read your OP it's impossible to garner anything other than anger. Good luck with them, I think you may have just been unfortunate to receive a defective product. You haven't been ripped off and saying so isn't helping anyone, especially you.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Another question I have is if the OP tried both subs OR just one? It is highly doubtful BOTH would be defective. However, there is the remote possibility they both could be. I agree w/Everett in that the OP needs to take a more positive approach w/customer service. I too have bought from Monoprice for years and never had an issue. My dealings w/customer service have been very good.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
B

Basshead81

Audioholic
I am calling BS on this post. My boss at work just bought the 12" Monolith and I was blown away by the performance, quality of build for the price, and packaging to protect it in transit. Granted its no Rythmik FV18 that I own, but it's a serious contender. It would easily outpace my old FV15 I used to have, and it exhibited no port chuffing that plagued my old PSA V1801 fart box. I don't know what your agenda is, but with the way your post is written I don't believe you one bit. I'd buy one of these myself.
Troll account?

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Another question I have is if the OP tried both subs OR just one? It is highly doubtful BOTH would be defective. However, there is the remote possibility they both could be. I agree w/Everett in that the OP needs to take a more positive approach w/customer service. I too have bought from Monoprice for years and never had an issue. My dealings w/customer service have been very good.

Cheers,

Phil
LMAO,, wow, I have been doing this for 25 years, I did everything right, I tested them right and damn sure gave monoprice every chance to be great, they just aren't damn, deal with it

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Yes Im was way to angry from the subs performance ,the sub sucked ( to me ) , it was terrible. Dont try to discredit me because I didnt list stats, just want to help other people like me not to get ripped off buying that 10" playtoy
LMAO,, wow, I have been doing this for 25 years, I did everything right, I tested them right and damn sure gave monoprice every chance to be great, they just aren't damn, deal with it
I don't believe I would try to discredit you for not "listing stats". Not describing a problem and going on a rant instead, well, that I might have an issue with. But, I don't need to discredit you, your language and approach do that quite well enough.

A simple question, did you try both subs, also results not in an answer, but another insult to the responder.

Most people come to forums to share information about their audio hobby, or, to glean information about things they'd like to know about. A certain sense of decorum helps, but its not completely necessary, if one wishes to enjoy the experience. For those folks who come just to spew venom and hurl insults, the experience of the forum is not nearly as much fun. Or long lasting.

I'm sorry, but if all you've got is insults and invective to share, not many members will pay much attention to you or try and be helpful.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

Cheers,

Phil
Phil
Good question ! I thought of that same question myself but I felt like the OP was merely ranting here or trolling Monolith so I didn't ask. You asked and got an insult for a reply. I think that pretty much clears up why the OP is here. It isn't about his Monolith subs. Its just trolling or spewing.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
lol, It was not defective, just not a great sub, damn. your standards are just lower than mine. I'm happy that you are happy and I am happy they are happy, not trying to bring anyone to my side or sell anything, just my opinion which we all have a right to as well as the right to express said opinion anyway we like. I'm sorry that you, YOUR GREATNESS, doesn't approve but I still wish you a great day and I am done with you as you should be with me
Post a video review before you return them. Can you do that? I was trying to be helpful but as others have stated your trump errrr monoprice derangement syndrome may have taken over. I was more than fair of your plight with them, now others will know your full of crap. Drinking and posting should come with a caveat as I do

Yes I have lower standards of a 500 sub

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
25 years with no clue how to measure gear?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes I have lower standards of a 500 sub
This.
HSU VTF-1 mk3 or SVS PB1000 are it's direct competition. Comparing it other 2x price subs would not be fair given the price point. That said, at the price of Monolith 15 ported sub it would be quite difficult to convince me to go with Monolith 15 vs HSU's VTF-15H Mk2 which is currently on sale about $1k shipped.

Last edited:
Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Noticed that you referred to the PSA V1801 as a "fart box". Was it really that bad? Did you let Tom V. know? I used to own dual S1500's which are sealed and absolutely loved them. At one time, I was seriously thinking about ordering a S1801. Perhaps, it is a good thing that I didn't.

The S1500's are the best subs that I have ever owned. I do admit though, that I have not been following the sub thing for a good while now. But, this is the first time that I have read anything like this regarding PSA subs. Did you send it back? If so, that had to be expensive. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
Have loved all PSA subs I've ever heard

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Have loved all PSA subs I've ever heard
I don't remember much of all PSA subs they had over the time, but If my memory services me right, they never never really targeted much below 1k price point, which 2x of Monolith 10.
I don't know if you expected same level of performance out of 2x $500 subs same as a single 1k sub, then I'm afraid you've learned nothing in your 25 years...
Take care guys and have fun trying to belittle others
Try to follow your own advice once in a while.

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
The red flag for me is the claims of having had many top named performers as a source of credibility, to where if that was the truth, where are they all now? Good audio equipment lasts a decade at least, and once you find Mecca, you typically hang out for awhile.

Seriously though, if you have went through all kinds of "bad ass" subs, something is wrong if you haven't found any that made you happy. This makes your claims seem a bit. . . . exaggerative.
The problem falls in just where the girlfriends used to, their all cool and the best thing ever for a while but after that while, most are just girls and I wanted to move on, same with subs, no matter how great onew may be, still always looking for better, sometimes it's a success and like this time, sometimes not. Buying and selling and changing things around a lot is just what I do. If I had my dratherss, I'd go back to 2 of the SVS PB2PLUS subs. Thus far they have made me the happiest and as far as the girls go, I hit the wife jackpot finally so that area covered and she loves subwoofers, whoot whoot.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The problem falls in just where the girlfriends used to, their all cool and the best thing ever for a while but after that while, most are just girls and I wanted to move on, same with subs, no matter how great onew may be, still always looking for better, sometimes it's a success and like this time, sometimes not. Buying and selling and changing things around a lot is just what I do. If I had my dratherss, I'd go back to 2 of the SVS PB2PLUS subs. Thus far they have made me the happiest and as far as the girls go, I hit the wife jackpot finally so that area covered and she loves subwoofers, whoot whoot.
Ahhh well, didn't mean anything by it and I get the disappointment aspect and how that makes us react at times. Probably 99% of the reason I DIY as much of my hobbies as I can.

That's about the only place I really see anything approaching pro quality at an affordable price is with DIY. The difference being, we're going to pay it in labor but we will pay somewhere because, there is really no such thing as a bargain.

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Oh my goodness, I wish so much I could build stuff but my disability limits very much what I can do with my hands and feet, friggin sux so fortunately I can buy them built, just have to go through the whole show but it's a fun hobby most of the time.

Thanks friend for your understanding

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
I don't remember much of all PSA subs they had over the time, but If my memory services me right, they never never really targeted much below 1k price point, which 2x of Monolith 10.
I don't know if you expected same level of performance out of 2x $500 subs same as a single 1k sub, then I'm afraid you've learned nothing in your 25 years...

Try to follow your own advice once in a while.
That's actually a question I must get at least once a day in one of two variations.

1)Why no S1200(small, sealed 12 inch)
2)Why no $500 subs

The above is usually presented as #1 will lead to #2...easy peasy..:)

I wish!

What many don't realize is that the cost to manufacture a s1200(say a 14" cube with a 12" driver) would be nearly the same as our S1500 assuming we use the same amplifier platform. I'd say the total difference might be in the $50 - $60 range and that includes the reduced shipping costs as well. So even if a company had 50% margins(and trust me, we're no where NEAR that)...the price difference would be $999 for the S1500 and $899 for the S1200.

I'm not seeing much of a market. You can get 3dB(roughly) more headroom and likely a bit deeper extension by spending 10% more. So it comes down to size. How many scenarios would a 14" cube work and not a 17" cube? Some, I'm sure. But there's 2 BIG considerations.

1)how much additional inventory cost is involved?
2)how many S1200 orders would have gotten the S1500 if the S1200 didn't exist?

Our cabinet MOQ is typically 24 or more for the Satin Black.
Driver MOQ can vary but if we want to ensure that $50-60 lower than s1500 I mentioned above it would need to be a MINIMUM of 250.

Factor in all the little misc specific to this model, inner boxing, outer boxing, etc and the inventory cost would be well over $30,000. Factor in everything else--new web pages, new photo shoot, all the support involved, all the space the new inventory takes, another $3000(?) just for the CAD, all sample approval, etc. So now, maybe $40,000, maybe more.

Now, for the sake of argument say the net profit on this model would be $100. We'd have to sell what...maybe 600 to say "we broke even"(this assuming 50% of these orders would have grabbed the S1500 if the s1200 didnt exist).

600. 2-3 years worth. Nah, hard pass.

Tom V.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
Believe it or not we sold a ton of those even though they were quite large. There's definitely a small (but passionate) group of home audio enthusiasts who just LOVE the idea of a base on their cabinet.

Tom V.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That's actually a question I must get at least once a day in one of two variations.

1)Why no S1200(small, sealed 12 inch)
2)Why no $500 subs

The above is usually presented as #1 will lead to #2...easy peasy..:)

I wish!

What many don't realize is that the cost to manufacture a s1200(say a 14" cube with a 12" driver) would be nearly the same as our S1500 assuming we use the same amplifier platform. I'd say the total difference might be in the $50 - $60 range and that includes the reduced shipping costs as well. So even if a company had 50% margins(and trust me, we're no where NEAR that)...the price difference would be $999 for the S1500 and $899 for the S1200.

I'm not seeing much of a market. You can get 3dB(roughly) more headroom and likely a bit deeper extension by spending 10% more. So it comes down to size. How many scenarios would a 14" cube work and not a 17" cube? Some, I'm sure. But there's 2 BIG considerations.

1)how much additional inventory cost is involved?
2)how many S1200 orders would have gotten the S1500 if the S1200 didn't exist?

Our cabinet MOQ is typically 24 or more for the Satin Black.
Driver MOQ can vary but if we want to ensure that $50-60 lower than s1500 I mentioned above it would need to be a MINIMUM of 250.

Factor in all the little misc specific to this model, inner boxing, outer boxing, etc and the inventory cost would be well over $30,000. Factor in everything else--new web pages, new photo shoot, all the support involved, all the space the new inventory takes, another $3000(?) just for the CAD, all sample approval, etc. So now, maybe $40,000, maybe more.

Now, for the sake of argument say the net profit on this model would be $100. We'd have to sell what...maybe 600 to say "we broke even"(this assuming 50% of these orders would have grabbed the S1500 if the s1200 didnt exist).

600. 2-3 years worth. Nah, hard pass.

Tom V.
Honestly, thanks and no thanks for confusing answer for question no one asked.... especially not the troll OP.

But on subject matter of $500 subs - If PE/Dayton somehow could mustard $150 12" ported sub which doesn't suck, imho if using similar pricing methodologies and manufacturing locality, all of the sudden It seems like $500 sub in comparison to $150 could suck even less, since you have more room for more expensive and higher quality parts.

I'm not here to tell you how to run YOUR business. I know nothing about it. It just seems to me that with different mindset, a profitable $500 sub is very possible, just ask your competitors.
It's also perfectly fine not to make cheap cookie cutters, just look at Bentley - they stuck to only luxury models and sold whooping 2.5k cars in US last year. No reason for them to try to make 4 door family sedan. They are doing just fine. In comparison VW's slowest month is typically a Jan for obvious reasons. They sold cars double that number of Bentley's in one slow January week alone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis