Monolith subwoofers and Monoprice

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Monolith 10" THX Subwoofer , bought 2 of them

I should have took notice to all the red flags right off the bat like no phone number to call and even after I got the online agent to give me a number, I could only get screen reading customer service reps, no one who actually knew about subs, only what they where reading, , ,

I tried both subs and their was no defect, the subs just did not perform even close to what I felt they should have. I tried all setting and ported vs plugged and in different positions in theater room, and although it did sound decent it wasn't a 500 dollar sub by any stretch of the imagination. Now for all who like their Monolit subs, thats wonderful but it did not impress me in any way.

I have now been on hold for an hour to try and get a return code and trying to get them oline chat as well but when I said return, the chat box just shuts down over and over again,,,,

lets see if the refund iis anywhere near as heartbreaking

It's a dang shame because it looks cool as hell

Last edited:
Adminhor

Adminhor

Audiophyte
I am calling BS on this post. My boss at work just bought the 12" Monolith and I was blown away by the performance, quality of build for the price, and packaging to protect it in transit. Granted its no Rythmik FV18 that I own, but it's a serious contender. It would easily outpace my old FV15 I used to have, and it exhibited no port chuffing that plagued my old PSA V1801 fart box. I don't know what your agenda is, but with the way your post is written I don't believe you one bit. I'd buy one of these myself.

Adminhor

Adminhor

Audiophyte
And your welcome to your opinion, I just know for a fact what I heard ,, no reason whatsoever to lie, does me no good. I was looking very forward to placing an awesome review so the next guy would have something to go on but no can do. I am an expert at what I do and I do know what I am talking about. If this sub cost maybe 399 and didn't claim so much, it may would be in the (ok Sub) box but anything else, this sub CAN NOT HANDLE OR try to accomplish with terrible noises.

But for those who don't believe me, go ahead, roll the dice. Some people do love to gamble even though they know they are gonna loose. Thats how Las Vegas was built.
Fair enough. I sincerely hope things work out for you. The feedback on these subs has been stellar, so I think you got a defective units for sure. I'd bet $ on it, but I don't live near Vegas.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Real men don't buy 10" subs in the first place? :) I've had my issues with ol' Morgan before so I'd tend not to believe him in any case....especially without solid information/measurments about his experience with the subs other than throwing an internet tantrum.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am calling BS on this post. My boss at work just bought the 12" Monolith and I was blown away by the performance, quality of build for the price, and packaging to protect it in transit. Granted its no Rythmik FV18 that I own, but it's a serious contender. It would easily outpace my old FV15 I used to have, and it exhibited no port chuffing that plagued my old PSA V1801 fart box. I don't know what your agenda is, but with the way your post is written I don't believe you one bit. I'd buy one of these myself.
Noticed that you referred to the PSA V1801 as a "fart box". Was it really that bad? Did you let Tom V. know? I used to own dual S1500's which are sealed and absolutely loved them. At one time, I was seriously thinking about ordering a S1801. Perhaps, it is a good thing that I didn't.

The S1500's are the best subs that I have ever owned. I do admit though, that I have not been following the sub thing for a good while now. But, this is the first time that I have read anything like this regarding PSA subs. Did you send it back? If so, that had to be expensive. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Adminhor

Adminhor

Audiophyte
Noticed that you referred to the PSA V1801 as a "fart box". Was it really that bad? Did you let Tom V. know? I used to own dual S1500's which are sealed and absolutely loved them. At one time, I was seriously thinking about ordering a S1801. Perhaps, it is a good thing that I didn't.

The S1500's are the best subs that I have ever owned. I do admit though, that I have not been following the sub thing for a good while now. But, this is the first time that I have read anything like this regarding PSA subs. Did you send it back? If so, that had to be expensive. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
The issue with their ported subs suffering from port noise has been an ongoing issue. There have been very lengthy and heated discussions over at AVS about the issue. Usually people who complain get their posts deleted. I did work with Tom but he can get very rude at times, and this is also well documented. The guy in this video had a big issue with port noise straight from the factory and Tom was a jerk working with him. You would be fine with their sealed designs and the S1801 has good feedback.The port gets overloaded way before the driver does in the V1801, which isn't a problem with the S1801.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I wonder of one of them accidentally got wired out of phase? Why don’t you try running just one of them and see what happens?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The issue with their ported subs suffering from port noise has been an ongoing issue. There have been very lengthy and heated discussions over at AVS about the issue. Usually people who complain get their posts deleted. I did work with Tom but he can get very rude at times, and this is also well documented. The guy in this video had a big issue with port noise straight from the factory and Tom was a jerk working with him.

Thanks I will do some reading and catch up. As mentioned, I have not been following the sub thing at all lately. I do know that the 01 versions Tom went with all new drivers. Not sure how that comes into play here. Certainly gives me something to read.

I am much more of a sealed sub guy myself. BTW, Tom V. have been nothing but nice to me whenever I interacted with him. He has even given me very helpful advice on other things audio.

Cheers,

Phil

Adminhor

Adminhor

Audiophyte
Thanks I will do some reading and catch up. As mentioned, I have not been following the sub thing at all lately. I do know that the 01 versions Tom went with all new drivers. Not sure how that comes into play here. Certainly gives me something to read.

I am much more of a sealed sub guy myself. BTW, Tom V. have been nothing but nice to me whenever I interacted with him. He has even given me very helpful advice on other things audio.

Cheers,

Phil
Start with this page my friend. Should help with your research.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-area-home-theater-meets/2842009-socal-laava-org-spring-2017-subwoofer-meet-6.html

"We measured Cap 118HT and PSA V1801. It all went smoothly until we got to 31.5 Hz for PSA V1801. We found that the chuffing was loud at the passing CEA 2010 spl. Then as we moved on to 25 Hz, the chuffing got louder and started at lower spl. This is when Marc said that we should measure chuff-less spl. By 16 Hz, PSA V1801 still had a passing CEA 2010 at 90 db or so but the chuffing was louder than the actual 16 Hz note. It turned out that the chuffing started at 80ish db or so!!!"

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Usually people who complain get their posts deleted. I did work with Tom but he can get very rude at times, and this is also well documented.
Lol, be careful, if you complain enough about PSA at AVSforum, your account will get deleted, not just your posts!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I should have took notice to all the red flags right off the bat like no phone number to call and even after I got the online agent to give me a number, I could only get screen reading customer service reps, no one who actually knew about subs, only what they where reading, , ,

I'm like, are u ^&*kn kidding me. I just unboxed and tried one of the bricks of crap and unless you are stepping up from a little sony, polk or some other bs like that, this sub will just piss you off. You will have to pay return shipping, my dumbass ordered 2,, so I'm gonna be out 120 bucks for trying out this junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried all settings and ported and plugged and its just a sub for a child. When u try to make it be a man, it makes all kinds of raket and the port chuffing is louder than the sub

Listen, I have had SVS, RBH, Reaction, Definitive Tech < I know DefTech kinda iffy , all kinds of bad ass subs and these simply are not it at all.

I have now been on hold for an hour to try and get a return code and trying to get them oline chat as well but when I said return, the chat box just shuts down over and over again,,,,

I couldn't even get a tech before I bought but I took a chance and I got the CHAMBER WITH THE BULLET IN IT

PLease for your sanity and your pocket book, STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM monolith subwoofers as u can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go SVS, Rhthmik, RBH, Hsu, anyone but monolith

I will say once I FINALLY got the lady on the phone, she gladly issued my return code.

I have never been so upset and let down on any audio purchase ever and I am 52 years

lets see if the refund id anywhere near as heartbreaking
The problem here is you don't describe the issue you had. How was this sub so terrible? I have one in my possession and I think it is pretty good so far, although I have yet to do extensive listening or testing with it. That driver is pretty amazing considering it is a $500 sub. I think your expectations are a bit high for a $500 sub. The 12" is also very nice, so far.

One thing is that the performance of this sub is very clearly stated on the product page, probably more so than any other sub out there. Monoprice is giving you not just CEA-2010 numbers but distortion quantities and distortion components. I haven't verified any of the numbers yet myself, but from what I have experienced, they are certainly plausible. No other subwoofer manufacturer is letting you know that much detail of its performance. You really can't accuse them of trying to fool the customer beforehand at all.

If your beef is with their customer service, that is another matter. I have not had to deal with their customer service directly so far, but everyone on the Monoprice staff that I have dealt with have been accessible and easy-going.

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Fair enough. I sincerely hope things work out for you. The feedback on these subs has been stellar, so I think you got a defective units for sure. I'd bet $ on it, but I don't live near Vegas.

Thankx friend,, as stated I have zero reason to bash them but when compared to subs I've had it just couldn't pull it's weight and we all have different references to what we think is awesome.
Like I said moving up from a sub par sub, people would like it but moving from one of the many proven beasts out there, just gave me a very bad day

I really did want to praise them and would have gladly if it had knocked my sox off, or even one sock for that matter but again, one guy loves his lamborghini and one guy loves his vette and although both kick ass, they both kick ass in extreamly different and measurable ways, each though with a happy owner I guess I'm just used to the lamborghini so to speak

Have an awesome day friend

Just one mans opinion that will save some very picky sub buyers some headache and money

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Real men don't buy 10" subs in the first place? :) I've had my issues with ol' Morgan before so I'd tend not to believe him in any case....especially without solid information/measurments about his experience with the subs other than throwing an internet tantrum.
Wow, gona challenge my manhood because I chose to try 2 10" subs from a company notorious for putting out low quality products. I think trying a demo on the smallest one was the smart choice monetarily and I was very right.

I have nothing negative to throw at you since I don't know you so ave a great day

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, gona challenge my manhood because I chose to try 2 10" subs from a company notorious for putting out low quality products. I think trying a demo on the smallest one was the smart choice monetarily and I was very right.

I have nothing negative to throw at you since I don't know you so ave a great day
LOL just playing off what you said earlier: "I tried all settings and ported and plugged and its just a sub for a child. When u try to make it be a man, it makes all kinds of raket and the port chuffing is louder than the sub".

Grow up and post up something credible instead of throwing a fit. Like a child. You know, explain a little of what the issues were exactly, how you set it up, how it measured, etc....after all aren't you/weren't you playing at being an audio professional with your store?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I am calling BS on this post. My boss at work just bought the 12" Monolith and I was blown away by the performance, quality of build for the price, and packaging to protect it in transit.
I'd like to hear from @Bucknekked since he I believe is quite happy with the Monolith 10" sub he has.....
Lol, be careful, if you complain enough about PSA at AVSforum, your account will get deleted, not just your posts!
Esteemed AH enthusiasts:
I don't know the OP, and from reading his post, I have no idea what his issues are with the Monolith.
That's a red flag for me. If an OP goes on a rant with no specifics but plenty of vindictive, that says a lot.
If there's a real issue with an audio component, most OP's will clearly state what it is first. His first reply to a question sounded a lot like a reply to a magic cable experience "I know what I heard.....don't tell me....."

I'm as happy as I can be with my 10" Monolith. I may be no golden eared subwoofer expert, but mine works better than I could have hoped for the $500 bucks. Subs aren't asked to do a lot. As they say in those memes "You had just one job". Subs are like that. The OP may have received a bad/defective unit.
Don't know.

If anybody asks me about my sub, and I get an occasion to comment on it from time to time, I can give a two thumbs up, this OP notwithstanding. No specifics, no real concerns from this neck of the woods.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
even though I own the big 10", that post was funny right there.:)

T

Tom V.

Audioholic

Cheers,

Phil
The fake account posting in this thread never owned a V1801 and is just trolling at any forum that will let him post his libelous comments. AVS won't put up BS like that so he branches out and tries to find a forum that will. He claims he ordered a new V1801---he never did. Then he claims he never returned it because he sold a used V1801 to his "friend" for the full price of a new unit. Yeah, okay., So this "friend" would rather buy a USED sub that this guys feels is a POS for FULL PRICE rather than buying a NEW product from us(or any other brand???) BS meter going off pretty hard now. And his "friend" never contacts us to transfer the warranty either???

Yeah, okay. Everyone can form their own conclusions.

I've had my differences with Gene but I would hope this kind of nonsense isn't tolerated simply because we haven't seen eye to eye on everything in the past.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
The fake account posting in this thread never owned a V1801 and is just trolling at any forum that will let him post his libelous comments. AVS won't put up BS like that so he branches out and tries to find a forum that will. He claims he ordered a new V1801---he never did. Then he claims he never returned it because he sold a used V1801 to his "friend" for the full price of a new unit. Yeah, okay., So this "friend" would rather buy a USED sub that this guys feels is a POS for FULL PRICE rather than buying a NEW product from us(or any other brand???) BS meter going off pretty hard now. And his "friend" never contacts us to transfer the warranty either???

I've had my differences with Gene but I would hope this kind of nonsense isn't tolerated simply because we haven't seen eye to eye on everything in the past.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
good to know.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, you have been nothing but a true gentleman with me. In fact, you have helped me with other things audio wise. Your knowledge and professionalism is second to none. I loved my S1500's as they are the absolute best subs I have owned to date. Furthermore, I would NOT hesitate buying from you again. Thanks so much for your clarification. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis