Monolith by Monoprice THX-460T THX Ultra Certified Tower Speaker

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Anyone tried the Monolith by Monoprice THX-460T THX Ultra Certified Tower Speaker? What would you compare it to? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39158

They have one review and it had a broken speaker cover that could not be replaced without sending the entire 55 pound speaker back. :rolleyes: :D:oops:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone tried the Monolith by Monoprice THX-460T THX Ultra Certified Tower Speaker? What would you compare it to? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39158

They have one review and it had a broken speaker cover that could not be replaced without sending the entire 55 pound speaker back. :rolleyes: :D:oops:
Man there mini towers that are in the same line got an absolutely stellar review here on audioholics I'm so wanting to try these

The only thing that's holding me back is they are 55 inches frickin tall which puts them above my screen and I insist on 3 identical towers on my front stage since I've tried I can't go back to center channels EVER it's so addictive

I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on these if you do let me know as well for 850 I think they are seriously legit for the price and there performance will give some more expensive speakers a run for there money If you get them first let me know as well

I may just buy a 2:35 ratio screen so I can fit them under there if I go this route

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I bought the Monoprice THX-365C THX Certified Ultra Center Channel Speaker a few months ago and it's working well. It's more sensitive than most of my other speakers but not much low end on it. I imagine these towers will have more bass.

At this price you can buy quite a few decent towers so they may go on sale at some point.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I bought the Monoprice THX-365C THX Certified Ultra Center Channel Speaker a few months ago and it's working well. It's more sensitive than most of my other speakers but not much low end on it. I imagine these towers will have more bass.

At this price you can buy quite a few decent towers so they may go on sale at some point.
Yeah the center and minitowers are sealed so they won't have much bass under 80hz there designed to pair with a sub

But I love the fact the towers are front ported I bet that helps with placement options I've been trying to find a review of them but so far no go

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This “THX” tower has a 2-inch (excuse me) midrange? :eek:

That‘s a whole 6-Sq-Inch surface area for the midrange. Heck, my tweeter has almost that much surface area. :D

I don’t recall ever seeing any “tower” having that small of a midrange. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It has 4x 6.5” drivers. The 2-inch “midrange” is probably more like twitter's little helper.
FR looks decent. Not much bass, but seems flat

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
:D

That‘s a whole 6-Sq-Inch surface area for the midrange. Heck, my tweeter has almost that much surface area. :D

You just made me feel inadequate with your Damn triple 8 inch midrange drivers

In the spirit of the movie SpaceBalls not everybody has a Schwartz like yours! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It has 4x 6.5” drivers. The 2 inch “midrange” is probably more like twitters little helper helper.
FR looks decent. Not much bass, but seems flat
I'd put money on the fact that some of those 6.5 drivers are helping with the mids and like you said that midrange is more to assist with the tweeter

I'm kind off fascinated by them tho Shady reviewed the sealed minitower version of these and he gave them a great review so I can't imagine the flagship towers would be a step down

I want to try them out and give everyone feedback probably will order some by the end of the year

For $850 each these are really giving some towers a run for there money If they can hold up against them there cheaper then the ultra towers by SVS and there prime pinnacles I think I'm dying to see if there any good

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Man there mini towers that are in the same line got an absolutely stellar review here on audioholics I'm so wanting to try these

The only thing that's holding me back is they are 55 inches frickin tall which puts them above my screen and I insist on 3 identical towers on my front stage since I've tried I can't go back to center channels EVER it's so addictive

I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on these if you do let me know as well for 850 I think they are seriously legit for the price and there performance will give some more expensive speakers a run for there money If you get them first let me know as well

I may just buy a 2:35 ratio screen so I can fit them under there if I go this route
A good contender apart from that Monolith product might be the Revel Concerta2 F 36 which was well rated. It's not as tall at 44.24 inches. It features rear porting and you need solid amplification however, because of phase angle and low impedance:

EDIT: Another good contender would be the JBL Studio 590 but almost 50 inches tall.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
A good contender apart from that Monolith product might be the Revel Concerta2 F 36 which was well rated. It's not as tall at 44.24 inches. It features rear porting and you need solid amplification however, because of phase angle and low impedance:

EDIT: Another good contender would be the JBL Studio 590 but almost 50 inches tall.
I own the 590's might need to check out those Revels thanks for the heads up

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
:D
You just made me feel inadequate with your Damn triple 8 inch midrange drivers

In the spirit of the movie SpaceBalls not everybody has a Schwartz like yours! :D
My SX-T2/R has four 6.5" midrange drivers, the current SVT has three 8" midrange drivers. Probably the next RBH tower will have three 10" midrange drivers. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Check out the Philharmonic BMR that mid-range is small too! Innovative, but small. Obviously, you don't really need a large mid driver.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Check out the Philharmonic BMR that mid-range is small too! Innovative, but small. Obviously, you don't really need a large mid driver.
Well, there's only so much you can put on any bookshelf speakers and most of them are 2-way, so the bigger woofer may handle the midrange and bass.

But I doubt you'll see a 2" midrange on a Phil3 tower or most bigger 3-way towers that are built for more dynamic range.

You don't "need" a 5" tweeter either, but it's there for more dynamics. And the midrange needs more dynamics than the tweeter.

Try convincing Gene that he only needs a 2" midrange for his reference towers.

Heck, try convincing Gene he only needs a single 1" tweeter for his reference towers.

It's definitely not about needs. :D

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

This is why I have an AT screen. I almost went 2.35, but my 16x9 image would have been too small.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is why I have an AT screen. I almost went 2.35, but my 16x9 image would have been too small.
Man I know I eventually need to go AT that way I can put anything back there I want

Do you notice any need to eq due to the screen? I mean nothing is perfectly transperent does it ever create an issue with the sound?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Man I know I eventually need to go AT that way I can put anything back there I want

Do you notice any need to eq due to the screen? I mean nothing is perfectly transperent does it ever create an issue with the sound?
Honestly, not with the pioneers that now live in my office. Sound the same pretty much.

My current speakers have the grilles on, which I plan to remove, but they sound great. This is a DIY screen though so can't speak to "real" screens.

@BMXTRIX can probably tell you more, but I've heard good things about Seymour screen material.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think Seymour AV really has the lock on some of the best AT screens on the market. I'm in the process of doing a more budget friendly installation with a JVC 540 and a Silver Ticket AT screen. Basic in-wall speakers behind it (8" 3-ways) and we will see how that all sounds.

Really keeping my fingers crossed for good sound. SVS Sub should help things out on the setup. But, it will be my first use of the Silver Ticket AT screen. I will report my findings. My preference on a more serious budget would always be Seymour.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think Seymour AV really has the lock on some of the best AT screens on the market. I'm in the process of doing a more budget friendly installation with a JVC 540 and a Silver Ticket AT screen. Basic in-wall speakers behind it (8" 3-ways) and we will see how that all sounds.

Really keeping my fingers crossed for good sound. SVS Sub should help things out on the setup. But, it will be my first use of the Silver Ticket AT screen. I will report my findings. My preference on a more serious budget would always be Seymour.
Thanks! really looking forward to what you find out with the Silver Ticket

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Agreed. Seymour is the cost-no-object screen, and they aren't even all that expensive.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed. Seymour is the cost-no-object screen, and they aren't even all that expensive.
Hey Shady what do you think of those new monoprice towers

I'm dying to try some out

I'm still enjoying my 3 JBL 580's and my 2 SVS prime towers in the bedroom setup but I'm super curious of these and will eventually try them out

Do you think they are any good based on your experience with other parts of the line?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis