Monolith by Monoprice THX-460T THX Ultra Certified Tower Speaker

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey Shady what do you think of those new monoprice towers

I'm dying to try some out

I'm still enjoying my 3 JBL 580's and my 2 SVS prime towers in the bedroom setup but I'm super curious of these and will eventually try them out

Do you think they are any good based on your experience with other parts of the line?
I think they would be good, basically just like the Minitowers but with extension below 80 Hz.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This “THX” tower has a 2-inch (excuse me) midrange? :eek:

That‘s a whole 6-Sq-Inch surface area for the midrange. Heck, my tweeter has almost that much surface area. :D

I don’t recall ever seeing any “tower” having that small of a midrange. :D
I'm pretty sure this is the tweeter/mid range combo on that speaker.

That is a high powered unit from Morel. They do not make rubbish and also hold the Dynaudio VC patents as a result of a Dynaudio break up some years ago.

The Fs of that dome is 365 Hz making the crossover on that Monoprice speaker at 550 Hz feasible.

That is a very expensive unit for a speaker at that price point.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm pretty sure this is the tweeter/mid range combo on that speaker.

That is a high powered unit from Morel. They do not make rubbish and also hold the Dynaudio VC patents as a result of a Dynaudio break up some years ago.

The Fs of that dome is 365 Hz making the crossover on that Monoprice speaker at 550 Hz feasible.

That is a very expensive unit for a speaker at that price point.
I didn’t say it was low quality or cheap.

I said a 2-inch midrange will not have as much Dynamics as most bigger midrange drivers in other towers, especially if the 4 x 6.5” woofers are all for the bass.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
especially if the 4 x 6.5” woofers are all for the bass.
That is the exact same woofer complement that you have in your RBH T2 (and Gene's reference system for several years)! Or are you arguing that the bass module of the T2 is the woofer and the 6.5"are midrange? That is rather disingenuous, given that the crossover is in 80-100Hz territory!
Personally, I like the idea of not putting too much money into trying to get a tower to play deep bass when we know we will use a subwoofer!
No, it is not a Status Acoustics T8, but we are talking less than $1,000/ea.
We do know that Monoprice's Monolith series has represented excellent value in their ATI built amplifiers and their subwoofers (by Claridy?). I would love to know who Monoprice contracted to produce this speaker, but based on the amp and subs, it is likely to be a great speaker at a fantastic price!
As for the dynamics, you may be right, but I am under the impression that the THX certification has competent dynamics among its requirements!
It seems like you are gratuitously beating up on this speaker without good reason! Yes, 2" is a small mid by traditional standards, but there might be some innovation behind this choice! Have some patience and let's see what the reviews say before trashing a product the way you seem to be!
I don't get where you are coming from! You should be enthusiastic that we have another product from a company that has shown great sourcing/design chops!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is the exact same woofer complement that you have in your RBH T2 (and Gene's reference system for several years)! Or are you arguing that the bass module of the T2 is the woofer and the 6.5"are midrange?
The RBH T1 is a 2-way speaker, not a 3-way speaker. So those 4 x 6.5" woofers cover the bass and midrange. And the T1 was designed to be part of a bigger tower (T2). So as a T2, I see those 4 x 6.5" drivers as the midrange and the dual 10" drivers as the bass. You think it's not accurate to see it this way?

Personally, I like the idea of not putting too much money into trying to get a tower to play deep bass when we know we will use a subwoofer!

I agree here. That's why I think they should have used 3 x 6.5" for the bass and the other 6.5" driver for the midrange. But it's up for discussion. The 1" + 2" drivers could be for the tweeter and super tweeter. :D

As for the dynamics, you may be right, but I am under the impression that the THX certification has competent dynamics among its requirements!
It's just for discussion. It may be awesome. But at first glance, a 2" midrange seems unconventional. I mean name me one other 3-Way Tower that has a 2" midrange?

Most 2-way speakers I've seen have 1" tweeter + 6.5" or 8" driver for bass and midrange.

Most 3-way speakers I've seen have 1" tweeter + 6.5" midrange + 6.5" or bigger drivers for bass.

Now, was I "beating" up on Monoprice for this? Yes, you're absolutely correct about that. And I may be wrong. :D

But let's see what I was thinking:

1. Monolith has awesome subwoofers - check
2. Monolith has awesome ATI amps, wow! - check, check
3. Monolith has an awesome ATI Pre-pro, are you freaking kidding me? Check, check, check!

4. Monolith has a 3-Way tower with a 2" midrange. Wait. What? :D

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The RBH T1 is a 2-way speaker, not a 3-way speaker. So those 4 x 6.5" woofers cover the bass and midrange. And the T1 was designed to be part of a bigger tower (T2). So as a T2, I see those 4 x 6.5" drivers as the midrange and the dual 10" drivers as the bass. You think it's not accurate to see it this way?

I agree here. That's why I think they should have used 3 x 6.5" for the bass and the other 6.5" driver for the midrange. But it's up for discussion. The 1" + 2" drivers could be for the tweeter and super tweeter. :D

It's just for discussion. It may be awesome. But at first glance, a 2" midrange seems unconventional. I mean name me one other 3-Way Tower that has a 2" midrange?

Most 2-way speakers I've seen have 1" tweeter + 6.5" or 8" driver for bass and midrange.

Most 3-way speakers I've seen have 1" tweeter + 6.5" midrange + 6.5" or bigger drivers for bass.

Now, was I "beating" up on Monoprice for this? Yes, you're absolutely correct about that. And I may be wrong. :D

3. Monolith has an awesome ATI Pre-pro, are you freaking kidding me? Check, check, check!

You know buddy what guys like me that don't have your ummm.... Big midrangers say. It's not the size that matters it's what you do with it! :rolleyes:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Anyways I'm seriously thinking of picking some up later this year so we will just have to see!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If only there was a review damnit 4 of those can't just be for the bass.

I mean like everyone is saying they have to know your going to use subwoofers anyway

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If only there was a review damnit 4 of those can't just be for the bass.

I mean like everyone is saying they have to know your going to use subwoofers anyway
That is a very narrow cabinet. So BSC will start probably around the 550 Hz crossover point. So to have a decent power band response in that crucial band ir probably does need four of those drivers.

That 2" mid is a high power, high spl. unit. Dynaudio/Moral motor systems are unique and patented. I can personally testify to the fact their drivers have a very high power capacity without distress.

I have used a Dynaudio 3" dome from 400 to 4 KHz for years and driven it hard without distress. As I stated this mid/tweeter combo from Morel has impressive specs, from an outfit not prone to hype the spec. sheet.

I'm surprised that such a high quality non Far Eastern unit was selected for a speaker in that price range.

I agree it is an unusual design, but the approach is far from without merit. So look at the specs from what I linked about that Morel unit.

When you come down to it very few manufacturers have produced high qulaity mid range units where you can comfortable use one of them.

The list would be ATC, Acuton, Dynaudio/Morel and Volt, that is about it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Right, you can get away with calling the 6.5" drivers mid-woofers, but they absolutely are not properly called mid-range drivers according to the normal conventions of audio!

Maybe RBH is familiar with the T2 speaker! Here is their specification on the drivers:
Drive Units:
(2) 10" (254mm) Aluminum Subwoofers
(4) 6-1/2" (165mm) Aluminum Cone Woofers
(3) 1" (25mm) Silk Dome Tweeters

Or, we can consider that the T1's 6.5" drivers have extension down to 40Hz...

Or, we can look to Gene's review:
Due to the unique design of the RBH Sound T System, much care must be taken to ensure proper integration of the T-1 satellites and 1010-SEN subwoofers.

I agree with you here, but don't understand why you are trying to discredit this speaker before learning more. I think many of us know it is not going to be the right choice for filling a banquet hall, but no one but you is prejudging it as a bad design for the normal living room! ShadyJ is not ready to so pass judgement and TLSGuy has chimed in to identify it as likely the Morel mid-range/tweeter unit which is capable and a good fit for the frequency range the design calls for.
I think it is appropriate to ask the question "Will a 2 inch mid-range have sufficient output?"; however, I think it is inappropriate to condemn a product based on a hunch. I mean, if you were Dennis Murphy or TLSGuy or anyone else who has a record of success designing speakers, I would take it to heart.
It make me believe that because you are not selling Monolith brand, you need to discredit it; which I feel is inappropriate!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't really see ADTG as "condemning the speaker", I just read it as, "that seems like an odd design decision".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't really see ADTG as "condemning the speaker", I just read it as, "that seems like an odd design decision".
Thank you!

Being a “dealer” has some personal pros, but man, the cons on forums suck.

I bet when I was just a moderator for AH and I had said “2 inches seem way too small for a midrange in a 3-Way THX certified tower“, people would just say, “Well, that’s just your opinion”.

But now everything is about selling? I think 2” is too small for a midrange because I don’t sell Monoprice? Geez.

I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut. :D

2 of the things that Gene has talked about regarding speakers include Accuracy and Dynamics.

Driver sizes are not everything, but they do have a lot to do with Dynamics.

So when I saw “2-inch midrange“ I just thought, I wonder what Gene has to say about that?

And “THX” is supposed to about accuracy and Dynamics.

But maybe driver sizes and dynamics are overrated? I think it’s worth discussing.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
2" midrange drivers can be adequate depending on listening distances and dynamic range targets. It comes down to personal preferences. I don't normally listen at live concert sound levels, but if I did, I don't think any 2" midrange could cut it. If that is your thing, you are going to want something with more cone area. But those speakers are THX Ultra certified which means they should be able to reach peaks of 105 dB at a 12 foot listening distance inside a 3,000 cubic foot room with low distortion. It has to be a pretty capable 2" to do that.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
2" midrange drivers can be adequate depending on listening distances and dynamic range targets. It comes down to personal preferences. I don't normally listen at live concert sound levels, but if I did, I don't think any 2" midrange could cut it. If that is your thing, you are going to want something with more cone area. But those speakers are THX Ultra certified which means they should be able to reach peaks of 105 dB at a 12 foot listening distance inside a 3,000 cubic foot room with low distortion. It has to be a pretty capable 2" to do that.
James,

I don't think they even need to reach peaks of 105 db, this SPL is for the entire 3 way speaker, and not for each of the drivers, right?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
James,

I don't think they even need to reach peaks of 105 db, this SPL is for the entire 3 way speaker, and not for each of the drivers, right?
I am not sure how THX determines the number. I would guess like a pink noise or some kind of broadband signal.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I am not sure how THX determines the number. I would guess like a pink noise or some kind of broadband signal.
Maybe, but how about sample real movie soundtrack playback measurements?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
James,

All of this good talking and good points is just making me more curious to try them

I'm probably going to grab some this fall and we can start a fun thread where we see what these bad boys can do

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you!

Being a “dealer” has some personal pros, but man, the cons on forums suck.

I bet when I was just a moderator for AH and I had said “2 inches seem way too small for a midrange in a 3-Way THX certified tower“, people would just say, “Well, that’s just your opinion”.

But now everything is about selling? I think 2” is too small for a midrange because I don’t sell Monoprice? Geez.

I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut. :D

2 of the things that Gene has talked about regarding speakers include Accuracy and Dynamics.

Driver sizes are not everything, but they do have a lot to do with Dynamics.

So when I saw “2-inch midrange“ I just thought, I wonder what Gene has to say about that?

And “THX” is supposed to about accuracy and Dynamics.

But maybe driver sizes and dynamics are overrated? I think it’s worth discussing.
A wise man say.....it's not the size of the driver grasshopper........ It's what one does with it. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, ADTG kind of addressed this: We are AH'ers, and what AH member wants "adequate"???

LOL!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis