Monolith by Monoprice 7x200

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The Monolith 7X200 arrived yesterday. It's a heavy 106 pound box delivered and 93 pounds once the amp is removed. Monoprice packed it really well. It's a rugged piece with these vents on the bottom, sides and top. It heats up quickly so I'm giving it room to breath.

cooling.png

I connected the Fronts, Center, Surrounds and Front Heights to the Monolith 7X. Then, connected Rear Heights, Rear Surrounds and the VMPS dual Tallboy sub to the Adcom GFA-7000. This 12 channel ext. amp config allows the Denon 4700 to be setup in "pre-amp mode" (none of the receiver amps are active). By having all the front channels on the Monolith 7X I can run stereo mode or Auro-3D without turning on the Adcom. Or turn on the Adcom to add the back channels for movies.

Previously, I had used the Adcom or the Denon 4700 internal amps to power the Sierra Towers. Once the Monolith 7X was installed 75db was easy to reach with a 55 volume level on the Denon 4700. I know amps aren't suppose to make a difference but the sound is thick and ballsy and highs seem a little more crisp. To the point the Sierra Towers seem brighter than when using the 17 year old Adcom GFA-7000.

The one drawback I see with the Monolith 7X is the front 3/4" blue neon power switch that stays on all thru my music session. Initially, I put a post-it note on it and that worked. Then, I cut a round circle out of black electrical tape and stuck it on the light. Now I can see a little blue when it's on without a blue glowing headlight. ;)

If you are looking for power, the Monolith 7X has it in spades. It allows my 4700 to stay relatively cool without using the internal amps. The unit is heavy so plan accordingly. You'll want it on a bottom shelf that's open for heat dissipation and don't plan to move that furniture after placing 93 pounds on it.

The Monolith7 speaker connections accept dual banana plugs. In fact, it seems built for them. They provide an excellent connection with the Monolith. The ports are super solid and the amp is built like a tank. The front power button simply puts the unit to sleep. It has a rear power switch to turn it off. Using it with a healthy power strip can also do the job of turning it off if you don't want to reach around the back.

My only concern is if the Monolith 7X fails, how would I carry it out of the basement during the 5 year warranty replacement period? Then, I realize - sometimes you have to forget about what could be and enjoy the NOW! AND this amp is definitely a HUGE step up for my Sierra Towers! Tons of punch and more power than I will ever use.

monolith7 image.png

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're using the absolute scale for volume on the Denon, a reading of 55 would roughly equate to -27dB on the reference scale or average levels of 58 dB/peaks of 78 dB.....for movies. Music who knows. Did you re-run audyssey with the new amp? Or recalibrate manually?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If you're using the absolute scale for volume on the Denon, a reading of 55 would roughly equate to -27dB on the reference scale or average levels of 58 dB/peaks of 78 dB.....for movies. Music who knows. Did you re-run audyssey with the new amp? Or recalibrate manually?
Yes, I configured amp assign for "Pre-amp mode" and set speakers for 7.2.4 then ran Audyssey to configure EQ. If you don't do that with the Denon 4700 "Audyssey" is greyed out in the menu and you can't turn on Dynamic EQ.

222.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seeing RLO at 10dB I assume this was a music setting? Altho Dynamic EQ alone could bump up the dB level a bit, too....bottom line with the new amp and calibrated avr the volume level readings should yield the same dB spl as the avr alone....

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Love the uncluttered look it resembles an ATI in a way enjoy !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Might be because ATI makes it? Altho that shaped front panel isn't something ATI does....
I wonder if ATI will make their class-D amps (like 528NC 200x8) for Monoprice. :D

Definitely nice to have a great powerful 8CH amp that only weighs about 60lbs, not 110lbs. :D

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Love the uncluttered look it resembles an ATI in a way enjoy !
You have a sharp eye. The Monolith is built by ATI at their factory. It's a contract they have with Monoprice to design and build these high quality products.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder if ATI will make their class-D amps (like 528NC 200x8) for Monoprice. :D

Definitely nice to have a great powerful 8CH amp that only weighs about 60lbs, not 110lbs. :D
Depends what power supply if it still weighs 60 lbs....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
30 lbs for a 7ch class D amp is quite do-able, tho. Weight really isn't all that meaningful except to your back of course :)

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
You have a sharp eye. The Monolith is built by ATI at their factory. It's a contract they have with Monoprice to design and build these high quality products.
Always wanted one there monsters for sure I’ve never herd one but from there first reviews there stuff has been revered in every circle .

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
46lbs

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Congrats on the Monolith! Beautiful machine. Even with the venting they do get a little warm. Do you plan any fans for it? They are probably built to handle some heat though

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I too would really like to see an ATI-built Outlaw or Monolith Amp featuring the Hypex ClassD modules. The weight of a nice Chassis plus the circuit boards for the Amps, SMPS and additional OP Amp/Input Buffer if wanted is almost nothing. I would think they could get that to market easily, too.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
46lbs

The NAD M28 is $4,999. The Monolith is $1729 plus $49 shipping. Which is the best value? Will I pay $3,000 more for 47 pounds lighter? ;)
No wonder Monolith X7 can't stay in stock.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Congrats on the Monolith! Beautiful machine. Even with the venting they do get a little warm. Do you plan any fans for it? They are probably built to handle some heat though
I bought this dual fan setup for the Denon 4700 but since I switched all the amps to ext. I'm thinking about using it on the Monolith X7. I moved the shelf above it six inches higher so there is now plenty of headroom above the amp.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Class D technology is getting better and better and with that prices will come down.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis