Modern or Vintage Kef's

R

RDSChicago

Audiophyte
I am just getting into 2-channel listening and am agonizing whether to go new vs.vintage. A pair of Kef 107's are available in my neighborhood. I am not at all handy and naturally concerned about condition, how much restoration would be needed, etc. A Kef dealer would give me a very nice discount on the R700's which have reviewed so highly. What do you think? How would you compare the two? If it helps, I am deaf in one ear and tend to listen to my music at a fairly high volume. Thanks in advance.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I am just getting into 2-channel listening and am agonizing whether to go new vs.vintage. A pair of Kef 107's are available in my neighborhood. I am not at all handy and naturally concerned about condition, how much restoration would be needed, etc. A Kef dealer would give me a very nice discount on the R700's which have reviewed so highly. What do you think? How would you compare the two? If it helps, I am deaf in one ear and tend to listen to my music at a fairly high volume. Thanks in advance.
I say it depends on the price and the conditions of the drivers. I still have ( tried to sell them) a pair of kef 104/2 and still like their sound..Here's some history KEF R107 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

R

RDSChicago

Audiophyte
Thanks. They are $1,400. I have 103.2's and have heard the 104/2's. They sound great.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The KEF 107 is a fine speaker, but there are installation issues you need to be aware of. You won't need a sub with this speaker, it is truly full range, it gets to 20 Hz with no sweat.

However, the speaker uses a coupled cavity bass system, that requires and an active equalizer, known as the KEF Kube. This has to be connected in the tape monitor loop, or between a preamp and power amp. Modern equipment does not have a tape monitor loop, so unless you plan on using a vintage receiver, which I don't recommend for those speakers, the you need separates. You can not use those speakers with a modern AV receiver. Use of the Kube active equalizer is mandatory for those speakers. You need to make sure that item is included and working, or the speakers are useless.

Like most coupled cavity designs they are not sensitive or efficient, and KEF recommend a power amp in the 300 watt per channel class.

If you have the funds and ability to set those speakers up properly, you will not go wrong.

Those speakers were made when KEF were at the top of their game and not owned by and outfit from Hong Kong.

The only other caveat, is that the drivers use Bextrene cones. Sometimes this material can crack with age. Bextrene is no longer made in the world, and the drive units can not be repaired if a cone cracks.

R

RDSChicago

Audiophyte
Wow. Great explanation. Thanks. I have a Pioneer SX-939 receiver. Sounds like this is insufficient in terms of power requirements. How would a Pioneer M90 work with the 107's? Alternatively, could I add a power amp to the 939 receiver to drive the speakers effectively?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Wow. Great explanation. Thanks. I have a Pioneer SX-939 receiver. Sounds like this is insufficient in terms of power requirements. How would a Pioneer M90 work with the 107's? Alternatively, could I add a power amp to the 939 receiver to drive the speakers effectively?
You could certainly use your SX-939 as a preamp and add a power amp. You just take out the loop connectors between the preouts and the power in. You connect the input of the Kef Kube to the preouts of the SX-939 and the the outputs of the Kube to the inputs of your amp. Or you can put the Kube in the tape monitor loop of the SX-939.

I would think an amp of 250 to 300 watts into four ohms will do the trick fine. Make sure you get an amp that will deliver that much power into four ohms or less.

Do not try and drive those speakers with the power amps of that receiver, the impedance of those speakers will pretty much spell death to any receiver amps.

S

-Stan-

Audiophyte
I have a pair of KEF 107/2's with a KUBE and then bought a Denon 4311. I actually think Audyssey XT32 does a better job than the KUBE with these speakers. They are really a marvel to listen to and like TLS Guy say a sub isn't needed unless you're a real bass hog and want to go lower than 20Hz.

F

Fomoco69

Junior Audioholic
Just bought a pair of KEF 203,SP 3001 from early 80s…waiting on delivery .any thoughts or expierienced on these

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

They are an eighties bookshelf speaker, and actually a KEF "budget" speaker. The big problem with those is that with age those bextrene cones are prone to suddenly crack. Bextreen is a rigid but somewhat brittle plastic that has not been made for years.

So you need to keep your volumes very moderate, or you are likely to get a large crack suddenly appear in the bass driver.

F

Fomoco69

Junior Audioholic
They are an eighties bookshelf speaker, and actually a KEF "budget" speaker. The big problem with those is that with age those bextrene cones are prone to suddenly crack. Bextreen is a rigid but somewhat brittle plastic that has not been made for years.

So you need to keep your volumes very moderate, or you are likely to get a large crack suddenly appear in the bass driver.
Ok, thanks good to know…

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Which model would you suggest without needing the cube….maybe 103.3
Not sure why you want to buy old speakers. The coupled cavity designs use the KUBE. However you can Eq the speakers with Audyssey.

Speakers have improved over the years, and I don't know why you want old ones, that risk driver deterioration.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis