Mitsu to roll out new TVs up to 82"

annunaki

annunaki

If Samsung is out, then that only leaves Mitsubishi, and who else? I think the DLP sets are the best value in HDTVs, but so many people want a thin flat tv they can mount on the wall. The only advantage I see to LCD, Plasma, LCoS, etc... is that they don't need lamp replacements every few thousand hours. But with the amount you save on the tv, it's not really that big of a deal, plus they don't make reasonably priced 65+" flat panel tvs yet. Let me know when I can get a 70" Plasma for around $2000 and I will go get one to replace my DLP.

What about off axis viewing? RPTV still suffers there in my opinion, almost as much as LCDs do.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
What about it? I'm not saying that these technologies are better than plasma, which is the best out there, but I have zero problem seeing my lcd from any angle, and the dlp doesn't look as good from extreme angles as it does from straight ahead, but in my living room there are only a couple seats that are off axis, and those still have less than a 45 degree angle. I know this isn't the case for everyone though. Maybe the asking prices for the really large plasma/lcd displays aren't outrageous, but I will take a loss in off axis viewing quality in order to save thousands of dollars... mainly because my seat will never be off axis, so I don't care.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Do the LCDs, Plasmas, and FPs provide any 3D capabilities like these new Mitz do? If not, than these provide a value in that arena too. Even if the others do have that capability, at what price?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not that concerned about a tv's 3d capabilities, when there is a lack of 3d source material. And I'm definitely not going to pay a premium for a technology like that which is still in it's infancy.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Do the LCDs, Plasmas, and FPs provide any 3D capabilities like these new Mitz do? If not, than these provide a value in that arena too. Even if the others do have that capability, at what price?
Not yet, that I know of. I was asked by a friend earlier this week who works in marketing/advertising, if I would agree to be a blogger (her words?) for 3D tech, upcoming in a well respected brand that you all know. I'm pretty sure I'm not at liberty to say, whatever, let's just say they make good plasmas. I refused because I don't know enough about display tech, and I already spend too much time helping people at forums like this one.

But, until we know enough as consumers, I have to ask what exactly is 3D ready? Will that be like older displays, DLPs included, that are touted as 1080p . . . yet cannot accept a 1080p signal?! Or perhaps like the earlier HDMI capable receivers . . . that only handle PCM? But, the point is well taken iveseenbetter.

Regarding off-axis viewing with DLP, sure it fades a bit off axis, but it's the person who enjoys lying on the floor who must avoid this type of display at all costs.

I find where it is easiest to discern plasma's advantage is with black detail. If you look at them side by side it's very obvious, and that's even with plenty of ambient light in the room. For night viewing, you are talking about entirely different levels of performance. IMO.

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
I've looked, but I don't seem to be able to find any spec sheets on the new 82" TV's.

Are they out there yet?

D

D-Jingle

Enthusiast
wow! who has room for an 82"?

I sit 8ft away, and my 52" Samsung feels like it could be a little bigger.

at 60" I'd feel like I'm in a theatre.

At 82" who even has the space for one of these? You would probably be overwhlemed any closer than 12' away!

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic

At 82" who even has the space for one of these? You would probably be overwhlemed any closer than 12' away!

Ha!! You're probably right, but right now I sit approx. 15'(maybe a little less) form my 73" Mits. It's great and all, but if I can squeeze it in I'll probably go with the 82".

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

I have a PJ and am not overwhelmed at 90" I think I sit about the same distance as you.

There are numerous screen size calculators, but I think you would be fine.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
12' away from my 65". its almost too small. 82" would be great.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I sit 12 ft. away from my 73" and it's just right. 12 ft. = 144 inches/2=74", so my screen size is just right for my viewing distance.

itschris

itschris

They are flat screens up to 82" and a starting price that is affordable for the size. The question comes is motion blur and color spec going to be issues.
Are you saying 72"+ flatscreens (LCD/Plasmas) are available at a real world price? I think maybe my inability to type while multi-tasking and my failure to proof on my post may have thrown you.

My neighbor's boss has a pj setup in his media room... a 90" screen. Sitting about 15 feet away was just fine.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I sit 15' away from a 159" 16:9 screen. This is 376% the display size of the 82" display. It also represents a 42 degree viewing angle. The THX rec is 36 degrees, but that rec is for 16:9 AR. Most of my movies are in "wider" aspects.

Everyone I've ever asked says they would not change a thing. This includes a director of 10 years, just inducted into the DGA last year.

Last night I watched Quantum of Solace with a good friend. He says he is going to bring over a friend who is a movie producer, because he is sure that this friend will be blown away.

I might be the only person here that fired up the pic at the blank wall for an entire week to find the ideal display size. I predicted* 120", but after 7+ days, I knew bigger would be better. The only downside, and it's a big one, is the poorer center speaker placement, since I don't use an AT screen.

I would submit that 99.9% of folks have no idea how incredible the pic is from a mid-level projector. Mine is already twice superceded, had for $3k, and is the most beautiful pic anyone I know has ever seen. It wasn't even the high-end unit, and I can't imagine how good it really can get.

Sorry about the hijack. Just wanted to give anyone a nudge, if sitting on the fence.

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
I sit 15' away from a 159" 16:9 screen. This is 376% the display size of the 82" display. It also represents a 42 degree viewing angle. The THX rec is 36 degrees, but that rec is for 16:9 AR. Most of my movies are in "wider" aspects.

Everyone I've ever asked says they would not change a thing. This includes a director of 10 years, just inducted into the DGA last year.

Last night I watched Quantum of Solace with a good friend. He says he is going to bring over a friend who is a movie producer, because he is sure that this friend will be blown away.

I might be the only person here that fired up the pic at the blank wall for an entire week to find the ideal display size. I predicted* 120", but after 7+ days, I knew bigger would be better. The only downside, and it's a big one, is the poorer center speaker placement, since I don't use an AT screen.

I would submit that 99.9% of folks have no idea how incredible the pic is from a mid-level projector. Mine is already twice superceded, had for $3k, and is the most beautiful pic anyone I know has ever seen. It wasn't even the high-end unit, and I can't imagine how good it really can get.

Sorry about the hijack. Just wanted to give anyone a nudge, if sitting on the fence.
I would love to go with a projector, but ambient light during the day just doesn't make it feasible. :(

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I would love to go with a projector, but ambient light during the day just doesn't make it feasible. :(
Yeah. FWIW, If you have $3.6k, you can get a 42" Panasonic plasma, Epson PJ, and a 120" Dalite High Power manual draw screen. That is the screen I use, and even ordering it custom black with CSR was it still less than $1k shipped. We're talking about a 75 sq ft display.

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Yeah. FWIW, If you have $3.6k, you can get a 42" Panasonic plasma, Epson PJ, and a 120" Dalite High Power manual draw screen. That is the screen I use, and even ordering it custom black with CSR was it still less than $1k shipped. We're talking about a 75 sq ft display.
Man, you're making me rethink this all over again. LOL:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis