MiniDSP + Denon x3700H signal clipping.

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
Who is HTG? Sounds like in the end you lowered the signal, so it was too much. My older miniDSP 2x4s (unbalanced/balanced, pre-HD models) you had an input voltage sensitivity adjustment you could make by flipping a pin switch/jumper. What's your miniDSP model and what setting for input voltage is it set to (if it has such)? IIRC on my old one it was a choice between max input of .9V or 2V on the unbalanced and a choice of 2 or 4V on the balanced model....

In the end, this is what ended up fixing the issue. Moved the jumper, recalibrated and it has solved the issue. The guys over at MiniDSP were cool enough to help me understand the gain structure better and fix it.

Regardless of what boy wonder says about the LaVoce driver and its Fs, he has a very poor understanding of the physics. Tell Tom Vodhanel the 39 Fs B&C driver they use in a specific model can’t roll off at 11hz in his enclosure. That isn’t how it works, despite what TLS says. You certainly can have a 40hz Fs driver extend to 15hz.

Anyway, problem solved. Back to making music.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In the end, this is what ended up fixing the issue. Moved the jumper, recalibrated and it has solved the issue. The guys over at MiniDSP were cool enough to help me understand the gain structure better and fix it.

Regardless of what boy wonder says about the LaVoce driver and its Fs, he has a very poor understanding of the physics. Tell Tom Vodhanel the 39 Fs B&C driver they use in a specific model can’t roll off at 11hz in his enclosure. That isn’t how it works, despite what TLS says. You certainly can have a 40hz Fs driver extend to 15hz.

Anyway, problem solved. Back to making music.
For any DIY members, that information is totally false. You can not drive a subwoofer below Fs. That effectively determines low frequency extension in a ported enclosure.

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
For any DIY members, that information is totally false. You can not drive a subwoofer below Fs. That effectively determines low frequency extension in a ported enclosure.
“Fs isn't really related to expected extension from a subwoofer except incidentally. The cabinet and signal shaping has a far greater influence on it. You can have a woofer with a Fs of 15hz rapidly rolloff at 50hz. And a woofer with a Fs of 40hz offer true extension down to 10hz...”

Tom Vodhanel wrote that. If you want to tell the co-Founder of SVS and founder of PSA that he’s wrong be my guest.

I’ll take what he says over some guy I’ve never heard of. Enjoy your weekend, bud.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
“Fs isn't really related to expected extension from a subwoofer except incidentally. The cabinet and signal shaping has a far greater influence on it. You can have a woofer with a Fs of 15hz rapidly rolloff at 50hz. And a woofer with a Fs of 40hz offer true extension down to 10hz...”

Tom Vodhanel wrote that. If you want to tell the co-Founder of SVS and founder of PSA that he’s wrong be my guest.

I’ll take what he says over some guy I’ve never heard of. Enjoy your weekend, bud.
You do a model and prove it. My F3 for that driver was identical to the Parts Express model. Math is math buddy. Sure you can make a driver roll off higher than F3, but not lower. The reason is actually obvious, because Fs, is the combination of the weight of the cone, and compliance of the suspension. If in a closed box you try and force extension, which you can, then distortion and power consumption go through the roof.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis