Might be evacuating soon

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also, this still beats the crap out of living in a major metro area, fires or no! :) Plus the fine mountain biking and general beauty...but forest management in the
"Smokey" style hasn't been the best....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Also, this still beats the crap out of living in a major metro area, fires or no! :) Plus the fine mountain biking and general beauty...but forest management in the
"Smokey" style hasn't been the best....
This is the latest smoke map. There is some smoke haze in the Twin Cities metro this morning, but not as bad as a few days ago.

You can see the smoke from your fire going up into Canada and then coming down over the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Smoke from the Wildfires made the Air Quality in Metro Vancouver the worst in the world the other day. :(

Certainly not the clean pacific breeze we are used to.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Looking good so far! Can't really tell what a few days out could bring....
Remember the Boy Scout motto, 'Be prepared' !

and as they said back in the day in Boston, 'Spahn and Sain and pray for rain' !!

Fingers crossed !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Remember the Boy Scout motto, 'Be prepared' !

and as they said back in the day in Boston, 'Spahn and Sain and pray for rain' !!

Fingers crossed !
Most of town proper is now back to level one as of an hour ago but I'm still very close to the level two area, and am leaving my truck packed except for my go-bag and a few items I can quickly add....I can smell smoke at the moment but was fine all night and early this am......

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
This is the latest smoke map. There is some smoke haze in the Twin Cities metro this morning, but not as bad as a few days ago.

You can see the smoke from your fire going up into Canada and then coming down over the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Stop exhaling all over me, Oregon. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Most of town proper is now back to level one as of an hour ago but I'm still very close to the level two area, and am leaving my truck packed except for my go-bag and a few items I can quickly add....I can smell smoke at the moment but was fine all night and early this am......
I hope all goes well. I had a bad experience in our Lake home in the Spring of 2016.

It was a very low humidity day, with bright sunshine and very high winds. We had decorators painting the exterior at the time. Other than that I was the only one around.

It was early afternoon and I was working in my shop. As the painting crew got back from lunch the lights went out in the shop, and the old Wisconsin V4 generator started up right away. Despite a muffler from an old Allis Chalmers Tractor it had quite a bark.

I quizzed the crew to see if they had spotted anything unusual on the way in. The said they had not. So I checked my panel to confirm there was no power to the house.

I phoned the power company, and made the report. When I went back out I could not see the end of Benedict Lake. It was obscured by thick black smoke.

So I dialed 911 to report a fire. The operator was obtuse, and wanted to know if I had seen flames. I said I had not, but knew there was serious fire in the Paul Bunyan Forrest. Anyway she alerted the fire service and I got in my 1948 Jeep CJ 2A and went to investigate. I found a serious fire rapidly raging off Benedict Parkway. I stayed there until the Laporte volunteer fire department arrived, and then the Walker volunteer fire department. The fire was way beyond what they could control.
The fire rapidly became a crown fire you can only attack from the air. By this time I had no road access out.

So I alerted the paint crew, and I said if things continued we would have to evacuate by boat. They were panicked, but I reassured them that the boat was reliable and I had room for all. I said Benedict had a river to Leech Lake and that in 20 minutes we could be at the Walker dock.

So I grabbed all essential legal documents and put them in the boat. Then I went back to the scene in the Jeep and observed. The fire was only a half to three quarters of a mile away, and spreading fast driven by the wind, right towards our house. We would have been the sixth to burn up.

Then a huge tanker plane appeared and the pilot brought the plane over, literally at tree top level, and doused the fire with that bright pink fire retardant. We were very lucky as that plane just happened to be at the Bemidji airport just 30 miles away.

The ground crews were then able to get control of the ground fires that had broken out all over the place.

The wind had blown a tree down onto a large power line, despite a 30 foot corridor and set the forest ablaze.

Anyhow it was that event, that made me think it was not a good idea to have my AV gear, valuable antique tractors, boats, and antique vehicles at that location. So we sold up three years later. For a variety of reasons that was a wise decision. It was a tough wrench though, to leave that beautiful home, in its idyllic location. All good things must end.

So I know something of what a scary anxious time you are going through. If you have to leave, just make sure you leave in time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I hope all goes well. I had a bad experience in our Lake home in the Spring of 2016.

It was a very low humidity day, with bright sunshine and very high winds. We had decorators painting the exterior at the time. Other than that I was the only one around.

It was early afternoon and I was working in my shop. As the painting crew got back from lunch the lights went out in the shop, and the old Wisconsin V4 generator started up right away. Despite a muffler from an old Allis Chalmers Tractor it had quite a bark.

I quizzed the crew to see if they had spotted anything unusual on the way in. The said they had not. So I checked my panel to confirm there was no power to the house.

I phoned the power company, and made the report. When I went back out I could not see the end of Benedict Lake. It was obscured by thick black smoke.

So I dialed 911 to report a fire. The operator was obtuse, and wanted to know if I had seen flames. I said I had not, but knew there was serious fire in the Paul Bunyan Forrest. Anyway she alerted the fire service and I got in my 1948 Jeep CJ 2A and went to investigate. I found a serious fire rapidly raging off Benedict Parkway. I stayed there until the Laporte volunteer fire department arrived, and then the Walker volunteer fire department. The fire was way beyond what they could control.
The fire rapidly became a crown fire you can only attack from the air. By this time I had no road access out.

So I alerted the paint crew, and I said if things continued we would have to evacuate by boat. They were panicked, but I reassured them that the boat was reliable and I had room for all. I said Benedict had a river to Leech Lake and that in 20 minutes we could be at the Walker dock.

So I grabbed all essential legal documents and put them in the boat. Then I went back to the scene in the Jeep and observed. The fire was only a half to three quarters of a mile away, and spreading fast driven by the wind, right towards our house. We would have been the sixth to burn up.

Then a huge tanker plane appeared and the pilot brought the plane over, literally at tree top level, and doused the fire with that bright pink fire retardant. We were very lucky as that plane just happened to be at the Bemidji airport just 30 miles away.

The ground crews were then able to get control of the ground fires that had broken out all over the place.

The wind had blown a tree down onto a large power line, despite a 30 foot corridor and set the forest ablaze.

Anyhow it was that event, that made me think it was not a good idea to have my AV gear, valuable antique tractors, boats, and antique vehicles at that location. So we sold up three years later. For a variety of reasons that was a wise decision. It was a tough wrench though, to leave that beautiful home, in its idyllic location. All good things must end.

So I know something of what a scary anxious time you are going through. If you have to leave, just make sure you leave in time.
Closer experience than I've personally had yet....altho I lived in a mountain town in California also surrounded by national forest for a bit that almost ignited the forest in the back yard of a guy who fell "asleep" on the couch while smoking....burned the house down good as well as got a bit of a start on the forest....by the time that was put out we were nearly out of water in town.....

What was the cause of that fire in 2016? Human? Lightning? Utility equipment?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Closer experience than I've personally had yet....altho I lived in a mountain town in California also surrounded by national forest for a bit that almost ignited the forest in the back yard of a guy who fell "asleep" on the couch while smoking....burned the house down good as well as got a bit of a start on the forest....by the time that was put out we were nearly out of water in town.....

What was the cause of that fire in 2016? Human? Lightning? Utility equipment?
The major fire season in Minnesota is the Spring. The grasses are dead and dry with a carpet of dry leaves, as it is too cold for the leaves to decompose in the long winters. When it is windy the fire risk is high.

This was the case in 2016. It was bone dry and a wind blew a tree down on a fairly major power line, and broke the line, despite the 30' easement, igniting a fire in the dry forest vegetation below, especially dry leaves in an inches thick carpet.

Last year we had bad fires in the Boundary Waters area, especially on the Canadian side. But there was a bad fire in the Lake Isabela area on the border of the Lake Superior National Forrest, which took a few weeks to put out. A lot of cabins were lost.

After my last post the skies here have filled again with smoke from your area. We are now under a no strenuous activity outside order. We are not under the stay inside warning yet.

I have to say, that it is only in very recent years we have had the skies fill with smoke from distant fires on a regular basis. I think this is a bad omen. We have lived in this region 52 years now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The major fire season in Minnesota is the Spring. The grasses are dead and dry with a carpet of dry leaves, as it is too cold for the leaves to decompose in the long winters. When it is windy the fire risk is high.

This was the case in 2016. It was bone dry and a wind blew a tree down on a fairly major power line, and broke the line, despite the 30' easement, igniting a fire in the dry forest vegetation below, especially dry leaves in an inches thick carpet.

Last year we had bad fires in the Boundary Waters area, especially on the Canadian side. But there was a bad fire in the Lake Isabela area on the border of the Lake Superior National Forrest, which took a few weeks to put out. A lot of cabins were lost.

After my last post the skies here have filled again with smoke from your area. We are now under a no strenuous activity outside order. We are not under the stay inside warning yet.

I have to say, that it is only in very recent years we have had the skies fill with smoke from distant fires on a regular basis. I think this is a bad omen. We have lived in this region 52 years now.
The last several years unfortunately due various fires here and in other western states, smoke has been an issue sometimes more for others than locally.....but the forests have been poorly managed for ages. Fwiw I just checked a listing of local AQI ratings and we're running under 30 at the moment (but earlier today could smell smoke but didn't check levels before winds changed)

ps let alone the issues involved with changes in climate due global warming....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The last several years unfortunately due various fires here and in other western states, smoke has been an issue sometimes more for others than locally.....but the forests have been poorly managed for ages. Fwiw I just checked a listing of local AQI ratings and we're running under 30 at the moment (but earlier today could smell smoke but didn't check levels before winds changed)

ps let alone the issues involved with changes in climate due global warming....
Quite dense high smoke here today, largely obscuring the sun. Ground air quality 46.

highfigh

highfigh

Just got my level 1 evacuation notice (be ready essentially to go soon, level 2 is be ready at a moment's notice, level 3 is GTFO). We have the Kwis Fire very close to town and while they thought they had a better handle on it a few days ago, worsening weather and the fire's boundaries had ideas of their own. Wondering if I should pack up any audio gear or takes my chances....and which bikes....decision decisions.....
That sucks. Be safe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Quite dense high smoke here today, largely obscuring the sun. Ground air quality 46.
The one's really getting it right now are around Bend and the nearby towns east of the fire....AQI in Bend currently in 170 range

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I check info all the time and have alert apps....AQI here today was below 30....altho at one time could smell a bit of smoke.
That smoke ain’t much good to breathe either . My Granson is in the army at fort Lewis Washington he said they get smoke if the wind is right and it’s been very hot and dry too .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis