MAXIMIZING THE USEFULNESS OF A HOME THEATER WITH 2 CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
the centers (2 speakers) can be used as a "center channel" in a 3.0 or higher speaker configuration

OR

as "independent front left and front right" for a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker configuration.
I have independent channels for right and left...

Please reread the OP and setup instructions.
I did read it hence my comment. ;) As for instructions one would want to give it a go to follow them. I find the idea rather silly so have no use for instructions on silly. I can do silly all by myself, ask anybody here.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Its nice that you are taking an interest in improving center speaker sound, but you are ignoring a huge body of acoustic science which undermines your idea. Believe it or not, highly-qualified people actually study these things. You are not breaking new ground here, and it is hilariously arrogant of you to dismiss over a century of acoustic science in support of your pet theory.
I get the idea of trying to "improve" home theater sound (a whole other topic) however where he seriously loses me is using "center" channel speakers in a 2.0/2.1 etc.. environment. Don't we know these already as mains? Maybe in my coffee riddled mind this is simpler than I'm taking it because it still sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Here's the thing, when folks come here for help we try to give advice that improves, is cost effective and help the op squeeze the best possible, high fidelity sound their system can muster. What you're proposing is not the best possible sound that can be obtained from a system nor is it cost effective.

It also adds more complexity to the system and most "average users" won't even understand what's happening when they fool with adding an additional center channel (many of which aren't cheap) and splitting the signal like that. It's bad advice, especially is someone is new to hifi audio.
But you can use the center(s) in a 2.0/2.1 config... :confused: I think it's time to add cheese to my coffee, makes almost as much sense.

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
Another way to look at it maybe, is by comparing it to having a soundbar setup that gives you the "OPTION" of incorporating two "separate/independent" front left right speakers (the soundbar would function as the center). I only mention the soundbar comparison to help everyone better understand the "OPTIONS" created/afforded by the setup described in my OP, not to take away from it.

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
maybe I posted my OP in the wrong forums. Is there a forum that I should have posted in?
kidding/not kidding

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another way to look at it maybe, is by comparing it to having a soundbar setup that gives you the "OPTION" of incorporating two "separate/independent" front left right speakers (the soundbar would function as the center). I only mention the soundbar comparison to help everyone better understand the "OPTIONS" created/afforded by the setup described in my OP, not to take away from it.
But the thing about soundbars is they're junk. Not only because they're tiny, but because you can't load five speakers into one box and call it 5.1. It does not work. Some are better than others, and in some, very carefully set up systems/rooms can almost give the impression of real surround. But they usually require you to sit in the sweet spot(which I do anyway), otherwise the effect is a fail. Also,(among other considerations) LR speakers(mains) need to be spaced apart from each other to properly image. So I ask again. Why would I want my two main speakers huddled together under my display? In my simple brain, it appears you've basically made a soundbar with two speakers. Or no?
Is this the wrong forum? I wouldn't say so exclusively, but usually it's a give and take. When asked specifically about certain things, one usually responds to that directly vs pointing back to their original post. We all have plenty of questions, but I will try this again with my very simple one. What advantage do I receive by placing my two most important speakers together under my tv? And don't tell me "options". I'd like to read about a real advantage, then we'll continue. I'd hate to see someone interested in the hobby to leave as it seems more people every day are losing interest. And maybe if you stick around to can learn something.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
But it's really not like a soundbar. A soundbar does NOT perform the function of a center channel, where would other channels go to then? A soundbar unless incorporated with a subwoofer or other speakers for other channels handles all channels. Some try to perform faux surround but in no case unless other speakers are included to handle other channels is a soundbar performing center channel duties. Unless you plug it into the center channel output from the passive side of your AVR but that's a different post.

The soundbar comparison doesn't help because the thing you're trying to do is find a problem for your solution. I am all for experimentation but in this regard, there has to be a problem to go for a solution and unless I'm missing it, I don't see it, apparently I'm not alone.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Comparing it to a soundbar makes it an even less attractive proposition...

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Comparing it to a soundbar makes it an even less attractive proposition...
I think he is trying to say it's similar, which it in no way is. I really want to get it but what it seems like he is doing is using cheese for creamer and calling it creamer instead of using creamer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think he is trying to say it's similar, which it in no way is. I really want to get it but what it seems like he is doing is using cheese for creamer and calling it creamer instead of using creamer.
But think of the advantages of adding cheese to your coffee. You can get taco bell and not have to order extra cheese. You can enjoy multiple textures in your coffee that no one else does. You'll get more protein and calcium than you would with creamer, and less sugar too (assuming you use sweetened creamer). It's an entirely different flavor profile not common to most coffees and you could become a trend setter.

I could go on and on, but I'll just refer any more questions to my OP on the subject.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
But think of the advantages of adding cheese to your coffee. You can get taco bell and not have to order extra cheese. You can enjoy multiple textures in your coffee that no one else does. You'll get more protein and calcium than you would with creamer, and less sugar too (assuming you use sweetened creamer). It's an entirely different flavor profile not common to most coffees and you could become a trend setter.

I could go on and on, but I'll just refer any more questions to my OP on the subject.
Hey, I watch the food channel sometimes and get that whole flavor profile thingy and whats good and bad... I really do! :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Same here. I've learned anything can taste good with enough hot sauce, and wash it down with a good beer.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
maybe I posted my OP in the wrong forums. Is there a forum that I should have posted in?
kidding/not kidding
I think the thing is, read what people are posting as to WHY your theory doesn't hold a glass of water instead of just assuming you're right. We all learn, I have posted some whoppers.

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
Not a whopper, I'm sure people will read the OP and understand my point; then be able to discard the irrelevant postings within the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis