Marvel's Jessica Jones Series On Netflix

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Trinity makes a pretty good lawyer in Jessica Jones and Iron Fist. Anyway, the best female superhero has got to be Buffy. Joss Whedon needs to make a new Buffy series for Netflix.
I never saw the old Buffy, but I would watch a new Buffy series.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That good?
Wait. Is it as good as Jessica Jones? :eek: :D
It's Joss Whedon. Of course it's good. That reminds me. I've been meaning to watch Firefly. I never have....

Anyway, the Buffy series has been worth my re-watching it at least twice, which is about as positive a testament as I can offer. Whenever I've binged on it, of course there is the occasional episode I skip here and there; and I want to punch Xander (the "comic" relief) in the face more often than not. But the series as a whole is enthralling. When an episode ends, often times you'll have an intense need to know what happens next. Some characters have a past. Some characters you care for will die. Others will achieve a glorious apotheosis. In the end, you'll wish it hadn't ended.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's Joss Whedon. Of course it's good. That reminds me. I've been meaning to watch Firefly. I never have....
Firefly is one of my favorite shows. I liked it a lot. Watched all the seasons a couple times. I'll bet it's right up your alley. Totally worth a watch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Anyway, the Buffy series has been worth my re-watching it at least twice, which is about as positive a testament as I can offer. Whenever I've binged on it, of course there is the occasional episode I skip here and there; and I want to punch Xander (the "comic" relief) in the face more often than not. But the series as a whole is enthralling. When an episode ends, often times you'll have an intense need to know what happens next. Some characters have a past. Some characters you care for will die. Others will achieve a glorious apotheosis. In the end, you'll wish it hadn't ended.
I love Firefly.

I think I caught a glimpse of a Buffy episode. The FX was a bit cheesy, the PQ was 480p, and the low budget turned me off. But I will have to give it an honest fair shot.

I mean if I could give JJ, LC, & IF one full season, I should give Buffy at least a real try. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I caught an interview of this actress; the interviewer listed her super-powers as strength and sarcasm!
I love it!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, is S02 any better than S01?

I thought JJ S01 was one of the worst TV series I have ever seen in my life. It made me hate Netflix.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, is S02 any better than S01?

I thought JJ S01 was one of the worst TV series I have ever seen in my life. It made me hate Netflix.
I barely was able to watch S01, but S02 got me seriously hooked. much much darker.
I can't say if you'd like it or not, but I do.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
My rating of season 2: ★★★☆☆

Just finished binge watching Season 2. Vague possible spoilers follow I suppose, although they're more along the lines of a warning not to get your hopes up than outright revelations of plot lines.

I was surprised that, aside from a brief insignificant appearance by Foggy, there were no crossover cameos, no favors called in with the Super Friends. I kept wondering why Jessica didn't call in a solid with Luke Cage when the night was at its darkest. The mistrust, secrecy, and lack of communication among the closest allies in the series were old from beginning to end, and seemed contrived and implausible. However, I did enjoy the plot twist in the middle of the season very much. Hogarth's story arc was actually more entertaining and more satisfying than that of the title character. Carrie-Anne Moss gets the MVP award for the season, even though her story was mostly unrelated to Jessica's. The elevator scene in the epilogue was predictable, but it does make me eager to watch Season 3 or Defenders Season 2, whichever occurs next.

Ultimately, I enjoyed season 2 of Jessica Jones more than the first season, mostly because the antagonist of season 2 was more palatable. That could be attributed to David Tennant's exceptional performance in season 1 that Killgrave was that much more despicable, though. Maybe it's just because violence and death seem less cruel than mind control and the theft of free will. In any case, although it was good enough that I watched it through to the end, I'm probably not likely to re-watch this season any time soon.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just finished season 2. I think Jessica Jones is the only Marvel property that I actually really enjoy. A lot of people complain about the pacing, but I like it. It moves at a slow but steady pace and gives the characters some room to breath in. I like the characters more than any other Marvel show. Hogarth was great in this season, and I liked what they did to Malcom and Tricia. Even Tricia's mom was improved as a character; while still not likable, she did get slightly more interesting. I loved the dialogue from all characters. I also thought the season's antagonist was very good, perhaps not as charismatic as Kilgrave, but definitely more sympathetic by the end. This season has a lot more moral ambiguity than most insipid Marvel garbage, and I can see that being a turnoff for simpletons. I also liked that they pretty much ignored the rest of the Marvel universe, as I pretty much loath the rest of the Marvel universe. So many good performances in this season! I enjoyed the hell out of it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I barely was able to watch S01, but S02 got me seriously hooked. much much darker.
I can't say if you'd like it or not, but I do.
I could barely finish S02E01 yesterday.

Maybe this type of show isn’t for me after all.

Maybe I should just save S02 for a rainy day when I am out of shows to watch.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I could barely finish S02E01 yesterday.

Maybe this type of show isn’t for me after all.

Maybe I should just save S02 for a rainy day when I am out of shows to watch.
Lol, if you don't enjoy it, maybe you should just not watch it!

season 2 of Sneaky Pete is out on Amazon, go give that a try if you haven't seen it already. I did enjoy season 1. Bosch is also pretty good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol, if you don't enjoy it, maybe you should just not watch it!
Yeah, you're right.

There is a show for everyone. JJ, LC, IF, and Defenders are just not for me. I shouldn't force myself to watch anything. There are just too many other shows and movies available.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, you're right.

There is a show for everyone. JJ, LC, IF, and Defenders are just not for me. I shouldn't force myself to watch anything. There are just too many other shows and movies available.
Assuming it is a show that appeals to me (based on trailers, recommendations, etc), my general rule of thumb is to give a series at least two episodes to win me over.
The logic is that the first episode is often compromised by the need for character introduction/development and often does not really reveal the true vibe and pace of the show.
IIRC, the first episode of Dexter left me thinking that I did not want to watch it. Seems like it put emphasis on how Dexter got off on killing and I did not really want to watch that sickness for entertainment. However, the second episode wasn't so bad, and by the third I was totally on-board!

In your case with JJ, since you watched season 1 and were not impressed, I'd call it quits.

JJ, LC, IF, and Defenders are just not for me.
BTW, you didn't list DD. Did it make the grade? What about The Punisher?

IF was the one that was lukewarm with me. Danny's character was too unstable for me. In places he seemed to have a mature sense about what is right and what matters; in others, he was like a petty 12 year old living in an "all about me" funk!

I might not like JJ if it was a guy, but there is something about a hot chick with dark side and attitude that could beat the crap out of me!
:eek:Oops! Did I say that out loud?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In your case with JJ, since you watched season 1 and were nonplussed, I'd call it quits.
@KEW, Kurt, English is not my first language so everytime I see a new word, I try to look it up, understand and hopefully remember for next time. The last one is not very reliable, especially first time around.
Still, I feel that you may want to use word unperturbed, not nonplussed in this sentence makes more sense for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Assuming it is a show that appeals to me (based on trailers, recommendations, etc), my general rule of thumb is to give a series at least two episodes to win me over.
The logic is that the first episode is often compromised by the need for character introduction/development and often does not really reveal the true vibe and pace of the show.
IIRC, the first episode of Dexter left me thinking that I did not want to watch it. Seems like it put emphasis on how Dexter got off on killing and I did not really want to watch that sickness for entertainment. However, the second episode wasn't so bad, and by the third I was totally on-board!

In your case with JJ, since you watched season 1 and were non-plussed, I'd call it quits.

BTW, you didn't list DD. Did it make the grade? What about The Punisher?

IF was the one that was lukewarm with me. Danny's character was too unstable for me. In places he seemed to have a mature sense about what is right and what matters; in others, he was like a petty 12 year old living in an "all about me" funk!

I might not like JJ if it was a guy, but there is something about a hot chick with dark side and attitude that could beat the crap out of me!
:eek:Oops! Did I say that out loud?
I absolutely loved Daredevil, Punisher, and Dexter.

I like DD more than Punisher, probably because Matt Murdock's love life is also interesting in addition to his intelligence and perseverance. Punisher was just bad-ass.

I also love a bad-ass-sexy female characters like Trinity in "Matrix", Alice in "Resident Evil", or Laurie in "Watchmen".

I actually prefer bad-ass-sexy female characters over all male characters. :D

The main kick for me in watching "Suicide Squad" was Margot Robbie.

I love "Billions", but the main reason I started watching that show was because of Malin Akerman.

I'm definitely drawn to darkness, but my kind of dark characters are ones who are more intelligent and/or extremely self-motivated and driven, not inebriated sleazy sloth characters. :D

Well, hmm, maybe if Milla Jovovich or Carrie Anne Moss played the character of JJ, I might have enjoyed it more. :D

So perhaps it really just comes down to liking the actors/actresses- well, a combination of everything.

I was hooked on "Dexter" within 5 minutes of watching the pilot. :D

But you and ShadyJ are right. If I hated S01 and S02E01 of JJ, I should call it quits.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis