Marvel vs. DC: The Rivalry Continues Through Streaming Media Backed by Mega-Corporations

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, X-Men 1& 2, First Class, and Days of Future Past were really good. All those had former indie directors who helmed or produced smart crime/action thrillers. Bryan Singer (XM 1&2, Days OFP) had directed The Usual Suspects. And Matthew Vaughn (XM First Class) had produced Guy Ritchie films, then directed Layer Cake and Kick-Ass, then later Kingsmen.

And the Dark Knight trilogy stands apart as a landmark in comics movies. Writing/directing that had smart action, and drama geared to adults, not just an adolescent audience.
Spot on. The X2 will probably be one of my favorite super hero movies for a long time. I get that the MCU is more family friendly, but there's something about the way Singer did the xmen that was just awesome.

I just wish the Phoenix movies would have been good. Last stand was garbage and I'm not hearing anything about the new one that compels me to watch it. Hell, I still haven't seen Apocalypse.

The biggest issue with DC is that they can't get anything to stick. MCU did a wonderful job of this. DC just keeps trying to start over again and again. Dark Knight series was excellent. Trying to put Batman into DC that close to the end of the Dark Knight trilogy was a bad move. Now we're getting yet another Batman. The Animated Series is one of my all time favorites, but DC is going to lose fans if they don't get it together on the movie side.

Wonder Woman was awesome IMHO. I'm sure Aquaman will be too.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Spot on. The X2 will probably be one of my favorite super hero movies for a long time. I get that the MCU is more family friendly, but there's something about the way Singer did the xmen that was just awesome.

I just wish the Phoenix movies would have been good. Last stand was garbage and I'm not hearing anything about the new one that compels me to watch it. Hell, I still haven't seen Apocalypse.

The biggest issue with DC is that they can't get anything to stick. MCU did a wonderful job of this. DC just keeps trying to start over again and again. Dark Knight series was excellent. Trying to put Batman into DC that close to the end of the Dark Knight trilogy was a bad move. Now we're getting yet another Batman. The Animated Series is one of my all time favorites, but DC is going to lose fans if they don't get it together on the movie side.

Wonder Woman was indeed excellent. Apocalypse was mediocre at best even trying to reinvent the origin of Storm. I was very disappointed and I am usually a Marvel guy. Haven't seen Aquaman yet.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic

Looking forward to Wonder Woman sequel; believe Patty Jenkins is again directing which bodes well. Aquaman was so-so but still worth seeing on video. As I said earlier, DC went off the rails when they hired Zack Snyder to oversee creative direction of the DCMU. Slick but emotionally unsatisfying director. Unfortunately the Nolan Bros (Dark Knight triogy) are too busy with other projects. Think they wanted to end their Batman project on a high note and move on. Marvel in Kevin Feige just has better executive leadership than DC. He's had a coherent vision. Any inconsistency really is due to the earlier parceling out of Marvel's rights to various entities like Fox, Paramount, and Sony. Now that Marvel is beginning to consolidate under Disney's banner, like others I just hope they don't go too far in homogenizing the whole MCU into a family-friendly-only movie brand. There's room for different flavors with so many characters.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I meant Dark Knight but the entire trilogy was top notch.

The new Joker movie is really different from what I expected. I definitely believed he was mentally ill. :)
Of course you did. It’s Joaquin Phoenix!!!. Pretty sure he IS mentally ill. Lmao! Actually I think he’s a really talented guy. Looking fire to seeing joker.

Heath ledgers Joker was great. I even enjoyed him before that, but that was definitely his best. Rip.

I saw panteragstk mention Wonder Woman. Excellent soundtrack. Imo, most DC tracks seem to be better than most MCU tracks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Looking forward to Wonder Woman sequel; believe Patty Jenkins is again directing which bodes well. Aquaman was so-so but still worth seeing on video. As I said earlier, DC went off the rails when they hired Zack Snyder to oversee creative direction of the DCMU. Slick but emotionally unsatisfying director. Unfortunately the Nolan Bros (Dark Knight triogy) are too busy with other projects. Think they wanted to end their Batman project on a high note and move on. Marvel in Kevin Feige just has better executive leadership than DC. He's had a coherent vision. Any inconsistency really is due to the earlier parceling out of Marvel's rights to various entities like Fox, Paramount, and Sony. Now that Marvel is beginning to consolidate under Disney's banner, like others I just hope they don't go too far in homogenizing the whole MCU into a family-friendly-only movie brand. There's room for different flavors with so many characters.
The Nolans never intended to create a universe. That isn't their style. Would have been setting special though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis