MartinLogan Motion 60XT vs Revel Performa3 F206 vs Focal Aria 936 vs Focal Electra 1028

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Ideally yes, but didnt want the kids tripping over the stands and hurting themselves (or the speakers ) and I know they will :) . So the next best thing, they're sitting on a sturdy chest, on heavy speaker isolation mopads (from Auralex Acoustics). In any case, my plan is to move these to my Family room and have the towers for music.

On the Electras, you read my mind :) ..,infact I was(still am) planning to visit another dealer in Pennsylvania to audition those , contrasting the 936s. Yes, they're running for ~4.5K/pair now.., think it used to be $7K/pair , down from original pricing of $9K, if I am not mistaken. They've been replaced by the Kantas, which are going for $9K, which is way more than what I'm willing to spend ( Point of diminishing returns kicks-in for me at about $5K/pair)

So you have the Focal electras ...:cool: You're going to be my friend ;-) .. How do you like those and contrast against the Aria 936s ? They have the Beryllium tweeter... and highly rated. Some of these feedback by renowned AV reviewers is what caught my attention , not having heard them.

— THOMAS J. NORTON, SOUND&VISION

— STEVE DICKINSON, THE ABSOLUTE SOUND
I've also looked strongly at picking up a set of Electra 1028, because of the beryllium tweeter and W-cone woofers, and the prices at which you can now find nice used sets.

However, on the Focal thread over at avs, someone posted measurements on the 936 and 1028 Be, which indicate a rise in the frequency response of the 1028 between 5 kHz and 10 kHz, while the 936's treble measurement was close to flat in that range. Apparently, the 1028 can sound pretty bright. So, I'm still investigating.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I spoke with my Focal dealer yesterday, and he's willing to bring over his demo set of Aria 948s to try out in my home! He's had them on display for quite a while and I think he's a motivated seller if I want to buy them. :D There's not a Revel dealer here, so I'm out of luck as to trying to arrange a comparison between the 948 and F208.

I need to see how the 948 compare to my current Legacy Audio Signature II towers that I've had for around 20 years now. Every time I think about replacing them with anything I can afford, I haven't done it because I feared that nothing I can afford will offer the bass of these Legacys. However, the 948 are pretty big speakers. The Legacys are larger, but they are sealed, not ported, so while the Legacys may go deeper, the 948s may offer more impact and slam down to around 35Hz. Yes, I know I can add sub(s), but I don't have much, if any, room for them in this family room.

Also, these Legacys have ribbon super tweeters, so I need to see how the highs compare.
Cool, I'm sure you'll like the 948s ..I've heard the 936s which have a little lesser bass(~10% lesser surface area, than the 948s which have two bigger woofer drivers compared to 3 smaller woofers in 936). Sonically they're similar. Is this for music ...if yes, I'd probably skip the sub and stick with the well integrated woofers in the towers, if you're happy with the bass, but again ymmv, based on the type of music, room size etc . The smaller SVS or Hsu subs maybe another option to go deeper.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I've also looked strongly at picking up a set of Electra 1028, because of the beryllium tweeter and W-cone woofers, and the prices at which you can now find nice used sets.

However, on the Focal thread over at avs, someone posted measurements on the 936 and 1028 Be, which indicate a rise in the frequency response of the 1028 between 5 kHz and 10 kHz, while the 936's treble measurement was close to flat in that range. Apparently, the 1028 can sound pretty bright. So, I'm still investigating.
Really, I havent looked at those closely...Brightness is not what I prefer.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
The focal 936 msrp were $1999 each and can be found for well under $3000 a pair

The focal 948 msrp were $2499 each and can be found for well under $4000 a pair.

I’m very familiar with the focal kanta, the aria aren’t in the same class. Also the kanta are sharper and more for picking up every little detail.

Focal aria line are really nice speakers, the only thing is lack of bass. The bass isn’t horrible but it lacks that texture and kick.

It always surprises me when I hear other Audioholics talking about listening levels. 75db is so low for me, especially c weighted. I talk that loud, I prefer feeling and hearing my music. So my qualifications are much different than some low listening tests. If a speaker sounds bright or overbearing somewhere at 105db I won’t keep it.

I’d be willing to talk about canton but it seems a4L isn’t a top choice of yours.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Didnt look at avs yet , but looking into trusted S&V measurements, you're referring to this bump

1579793772179.png

So lets see..,5K-10K is where the harmonics,vocal sibilance,cymbals are pronounced..,as per this frequency spectrum across musical instruments

1579794038567.png

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Need to hear these speakers not only look at graphs.

Graphs tell you something but not how it sounds in your room with your gear on your ears.

I know you want to keep things objective and overall very analytical. Just can’t do that all the time and need to make it fun. Of course that’s how I feel and what I enjoy. Trying different amps with different speakers and even finding the synergy of cables.

Sound and vision was once a great place to read but it’s not a great resource anymore.

If you want to spend $5000 look at a pair of canton reference.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you’re gonna spend that much, order from Jim Salk/Salk Sound!

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Need to hear these speakers not only look at graphs.

Graphs tell you something but not how it sounds in your room with your gear on your ears.

I know you want to keep things objective and overall very analytical. Just can’t do that all the time and need to make it fun. Of course that’s how I feel and what I enjoy. Trying different amps with different speakers and even finding the synergy of cables.

Sound and vision was once a great place to read but it’s not a great resource anymore.

I'm hearing them today !

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Yes, that was the review and measurements that gave me pause.
Did you actually hear them ? Frankly, that bump over that band(not the whole tweeter spectrum), doesnt look that bad. Let you know how I feel , after hearing these and contrast with Aria 936.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Problem is the availability to hear them, without buying/returning w/restocking/shipping fee etc..
Hoping to keep it <$5K, though..

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Did you actually hear them ? Frankly, that bump over that band(not the whole tweeter spectrum), doesnt look that bad. Let you know how I feel , after hearing these and contrast with Aria 936.
Thanks, I'll be quite interested to hear your impressions. No, I have yet to hear the 1028s. The nearest set I'm aware of are near Houston, which is around 4 hours away from me. The seller says he will allow me to audition them, so I may yet drive over there and listen to them if he still has them when I can make it there.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It has the same Be tweeter the 1027 has. JA of Stereophile measured the 1027 Be and seemed impressed. A couple dB bumps here and there don't necessarily make the speaker bright sounding imo, the THD % and contents have more significance. Overall the FR graphs look very good compared to many speakers in the same price range.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
It has the same Be tweeter the 1027 has. JA of Stereophile measured the 1027 Be and seemed impressed. A couple dB bumps here and there don't necessarily make the speaker bright sounding imo, the THD % and contents have more significance. Overall the FR graphs look very good compared to many speakers in the same price range.
What does?

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
If you bought the canton vento 896 and hated them it would cost you about $100 plus shipping. Shipping for me was $220 from 3000 miles away so that’ll vary. Now the focal 936 are $2800 a pair so simple math says $140 to return plus shipping. I don’t really see that as a big deal. Mark can’t be taking back open box speakers constantly. Also ships freight, which is the only way to go.

Hard deal to pass up for canton.

I won’t bring it up again. Good luck

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
The quest is over(well, for now). Focal Electra 1028 Be , it is.
Just came back from another extended audition, this time with the Electra 1028 vs Aria 936 vs DynAudio(think model is Evoke, not sure 100% but priced $5K/pair, was told).

Impressions..If I felt Aria 936 was at a class higher than ML60XT, then the Electra is whole another ball game! Astounding clarity, immersive & spacious sound stage, dynamic,energetic , detailed and still smooth & pleasant. Could hear certain instruments vividly that were absent in both the Aria & DynAudio and that I hadnt heard from the same tracks I've been hearing for years!
No, was not bright at all , in that well treated demo room. But the clarity & energy might make you feel a little bit brigther than Aria & DynAudio is what I thought.. the 936 & DynAudio felt a little bit more laid back and controlled contrasting the Electra..The Electra just opened up with no dampening in any range , engages you strongly & pleasantly, making the room & all the electronics disappear..,just leaving you with pure music. Had very good bass thats tight and doesnt overpower like what ML60XT might do , to its midrange.

To me the Aria 936 is still the smoothest speaker I've heard so far, very similar to the DynAudio with the silk-dome tweeters...Electra is smooth, but not as much the other two, I felt , but what it gave me was a perfect reproduction of the orchestra, not missing any instrument or detail without the brightness I feared, based on the concerns expressed in the thread. I do need to do a bit of room treatment to tame the energy..

While we kept switching between the 3 speakers ( fed from Cambridge Audio gear).., the dealer told me , he watched my facial expression everytime he switched. He later told me, I smiled everytime he switched to the Electra and thats how he knew this was the one for me! Didnt know dealer cared for such things..

Placed the order, awaiting delivery next week. A FANTASTIC value for less than $4.3K , a flagship once(for this line) , priced $9K originally. I will miss the Aria 936 though..,was such sweet sounding speaker with wide soundstage!

Hopefully it sounds the same in my room , as it did at the dealer with a bunch of room treatment which does play a big part.

@mtrot , you *need* to hear them. YMMV. I'dnt worry much on the pronounced response in the 5-10K range.., all those things I forgot when I started listening. But again you need to hear and decide for yourself.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The quest is over(well, for now). Focal Electra 1028 Be , it is.
Just came back from another extended audition, this time with the Electra 1028 vs Aria 936 vs DynAudio(think model is Evoke, not sure 100% but priced $5K/pair, was told).

Impressions..If I felt Aria 936 was at a class higher than ML60XT, then the Electra is whole another ball game! Astounding clarity, immersive & spacious sound stage, dynamic,energetic , detailed and still smooth & pleasant. Could hear certain instruments vividly that were absent in both the Aria & DynAudio and that I hadnt heard from the same tracks I've been hearing for years!
No, was not bright at all , in that well treated demo room. But the clarity & energy might make you feel a little bit brigther than Aria & DynAudio is what I thought.. the 936 & DynAudio felt a little bit more laid back and controlled contrasting the Electra..The Electra just opened up with no dampening in any range , engages you strongly & pleasantly, making the room & all the electronics disappear..,just leaving you with pure music. Had very good bass thats tight and doesnt overpower like what ML60XT might do , to its midrange.

To me the Aria 936 is still the smoothest speaker I've heard so far, very similar to the DynAudio with the silk-dome tweeters...Electra is smooth, but not as much the other two, I felt , but what it gave me was a perfect reproduction of the orchestra, not missing any instrument or detail without the brightness I feared, based on the concerns expressed in the thread. I do need to do a bit of room treatment to tame the energy..

While we kept switching between the 3 speakers ( fed from Cambridge Audio gear).., the dealer told me , he watched my facial expression everytime he switched. He later told me, I smiled everytime he switched to the Electra and thats how he knew this was the one for me! Didnt know dealer cared for such things..

Placed the order, awaiting delivery next week. A FANTASTIC value for less than $4.3K , a flagship once(for this line) , priced $9K originally. I will miss the Aria 936 though..,was such sweet sounding speaker with wide soundstage!

Hopefully it sounds the same in my room , as it did at the dealer with a bunch of room treatment which does play a big part.

@mtrot , you *need* to hear them. YMMV. I'dnt worry much on the pronounced response in the 5-10K range.., all those things I forgot when I started listening. But again you need to hear and decide for yourself.
Good call, I hate to see you spend he money for the Arias and not go ahead and get the TOTL with the Be tweeter, but I have never heard the Arias!
My Focal Twin6 Be are one of few pairs of speakers I like better than the Canton Ventos (but they cost a good deal more too)!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Didnt look at avs yet , but looking into trusted S&V measurements, you're referring to this bump

So lets see..,5K-10K is where the harmonics,vocal sibilance,cymbals are pronounced..,as per this frequency spectrum across musical instruments.
When I look at this FR, I see more of a drop out between 2kHz and 4kHz and again at 14kHz than an exaggeration between 5kHz and 10kHz! However, it is still +3dB, -1.5dB from 50Hz to 20kHz!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis