Mark Schifter Arrested Again

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Not sure how I missed this... Any update on the details of the plea agreement?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Sentencing scheduled for September 28th at 3pm. I'm assuming he pleaded guilty to the combined charge.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
And FWIW, he was released from the Boulder County Jail in March of this year but I suspect he'll once again be joining them for an extended stay and some of that great Thanksgiving fixins.

K

kookoolarue

Audiophyte
I can't believe what I'm reading! I just got curious to see what av123 was up to, found the dead site, and did some googling only to read all these old threads! So crazy. I was fairly active on the site back in the early/mid aughts and ordered the little mini rockets. I even had lunch with Mark and a bunch of other customers when he was in NYC for a convention or something. The customer service was great for me, sending a replacement when something was wrong with a speaker, helping with all sorts of questions, even though I was a very small customer. Just wild! I hope he gets everything straightens out and rejoins society on the total up-and-up!

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I figured for sure there'd be an update here since sentencing was today. :(

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Mark Schifter plead guilty and was sentenced on November 9, 2012. He was assessed fees and fines totalling $431. Further he received 20 years of probation although I don't know if that runs concurrently or consecutively with the probation he received for the raffle business. As a requirement of probation there are monthly probation fees which I'm told are $50 that he is required to pay. Also, he has 12 months of work release meaning jail is still his home if he's not working. I understand there is a Thanksgiving meal served presumably with stuffing.

A motion was filed to assess restitution and Schifter has 28 days to respond. If he doesn't then presumably the amounts that he's accused of absconding with will be assessed. Otherwise, he can contest the amount at a hearing.

That's all folks.

K

kendrid

Audiophyte
I've been playing Black Ops 2 with hectic1 and the topic of Schifter came up. I searched and found at on 12/11/12 he went back into jail. He must not be able to find a job.... :D

The original document was removed from the county's website but Google has it cached:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:m1gnUBAPDxoJ:www.bouldercounty.org/safety/jail/jaillisting/booking121212.pdf+Mark+Schifter&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgyV4xbos7nD4aejpdnPWyw0FKhBAmEHP8LXtWQKGhwVQUjVaz7Eb2-CRStSueTDfY43zQ5gfN3b5sUuXemAZtDvWv7qjTQG6riZKWa5iJlY0A14DNGgyeELhSRF9rEg_jhzEx9&sig=AHIEtbRm8xwKuHrgCYcdvmpECB0uLEVVrA

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Same one. Keep in mind, the only way he's going to pay what he owes is by working. Emerald Physics is under Wally Liederman's umbrella and he and Shifty go way back. What's curious is how he's not in Colorado. Must be a special arrangement with his probation officer.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have a problem with him working...hard. Just seems that speakers are probably not the right business for him though.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Posted this morning on the Stereophile page:

I normally don't get involved in Internet chat as I stay too busy. However, in this case since I was being mentioned I thought I would make a single post. It is interesting that the poster has decided to remain anonymous and has not posted an email link with his post.
Yes, I hired Mark to do PR work for Emerald Physics about 2 years ago. I have known him for over 35 years and consider him a friend. I bought Audio Alchemy products as well as Genesis products from him at my former company. Yes, Mark has made some severe mistakes and he has paid the price for those, and continues to do so. Sometimes good people do bad things and Mark freely admits his mistakes and is in the process of paying back all the money involved and apologizing appropriately. He has worked two jobs over the last few years working 70-80 hours a week to make proper restitution for his crimes.
However, once he has paid the price that society decided was proper punishment for his crimes I for one believe in forgiveness and the ability to get on with one’s life. Mark has been in the audio industry his entire life and in some ways the industry is his life. He is an extremely talented product designer with great passion for what he does. To say that Mark should not be allowed to work in the audio industry is absurd in my opinion. This is not the financial services industry where people handle millions of dollars of other people’s money. All financial transactions come thru me in the end I take responsibility for all my sales.
Some time ago Mark started contributing design work for me and now comes to shows as well. I am not ashamed to put him in front of the public or to call him my friend. He has done great work in transforming Emerald Physics into a far better company than when I bought it a few years ago. He now works with customers in our Emerald Physics Showplace in Colorado as well. He has permission to do this. It is interesting to note that almost everyone that has contact with Mark loves him and the high quality of customer service that they have received. The outpouring of industry support has also been extraordinary. In the end the buck stops here and I would be glad to speak personally to anyone who wants to call me and discuss this at 770-667-5633.
Walter Liederman
Owner Emerald Physics & Underwood Hifi

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Posted this morning on the Stereophile page:
Well, it is a good sign that at least 1 person is willing to stand up for him!

And, I agree that once he has paid for his crimes, then he deserves a 2nd chance. Putting him in a PR role though, I wouldn't have done that!

And, I doubt that any of my $ would be headed his way either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis