Marantz Unveils SR7012, SR8012 AV Receivers and AV7704 Processor with Alexa Skill

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think somebody was just dreaming. :)

Come on. Only about $3K. The Marantz AV8802 is $4K. I wish I hadn't spent $5000 on my AVR-5308CI few years ago. Then I could have bought another AVP-A1HDCI. Hindsight.
Denon would NOT make a tunerless AV receiver. I could possibly see Marantz do that but there's really no point.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Come on. Only about $3K. The Marantz AV8802 is $4K. I wish I hadn't spent $5000 on my AVR-5308CI few years ago. Then I could have bought another AVP-A1HDCI. Hindsight.
I can afford 3k but are you sure Gene is not asking for more?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

I paid 2500 for My AV8802 (later upgraded to the A for free). It has Atmos, I already have 3 Alexia devices, I don't see anytime to upgrade in the near future. Build quality on the unit is very nice.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I paid 2500 for My AV8802 (later upgraded to the A for free). It has Atmos, I already have 3 Alexia devices, I don't see anytime to upgrade in the near future. Build quality on the unit is very nice.
I paid well over $3,000 (CAD) for my AV8801 and I am in no hurry either. If I had the 8802 I would have been good for at least another 5 years. As it is now, may be 2,3..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd love to see one of these get measured ACD (not useful, I know, but interesting) to see what actual output they are capable of. My 4300x is 9ch and with how light it is I don't believe it's capable of the output it states.
Have you seen the S&V review on the X4200W? In that test, it measured about 94W, 5 channel driven, at 0.1% THD and about 77W, 7 channel driven, also at 0.1% THD. All into 8 ohms obviously.

The X4300H appears to have a slightly larger power supply so expect it to do a little over 100W 5 channel and 85W 7 channel.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Have you seen the S&V review on the X4200W? In that test, it measured about 94W, 5 channel driven, at 0.1% THD and about 77W, 7 channel driven, also at 0.1% THD. All into 8 ohms obviously.

The X4300H appears to have a slightly larger power supply so expect it to do a little over 100W 5 channel and 85W 7 channel.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The S&V numbers correlate well with Gene's on the X3300W. Gene's were lower as expected, but in proportion.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The S&V numbers correlate well with Gene's on the X3300W. Gene's were lower as expected, but in proportion.
Yeah, I saw that. The 4300 and 4200 weigh the same and the 4300 has an extra channel so I'd expect power at all channels to be a little lower, but nothing that I'd ever notice. I like to see the ACD spec, but I know that situation won't ever come up in the real world.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I saw that. The 4300 and 4200 weigh the same and the 4300 has an extra channel so I'd expect power at all channels to be a little lower, but nothing that I'd ever notice. I like to see the ACD spec, but I know that situation won't ever come up in the real world.
Not really, I thought the x4300h is a lb heavier and power consumption is higher at 710w vs 670w.

Normally you cannot compared output based on consumption between different brands but between the x4200w and x4300h you definitely can.

Edit: Now I know what happened, if you look at the product sheets, they are both 27.8 lbs.
If you look at the manual, the 4300 is exactly 2 lbs heavier.

X4200W - 27 lbs 12 oz.

X4300H - 29 lbs 12 oz.

It makes sense that the X4300H is 2 lbs heavier because is has two more channels of amplification and the power supply is slightly bigger.

The Marantz SR7011 is 31 lbs 1 oz, that is 1 lb and 5 oz. heavier than the Denon. Again that makes sense because it has 7.1 channel analog inputs and therefore a larger enclosure. The power supply appears to be the same, with exactly the same power consumption figure as the X4300H.

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The power consumption printed on the back shows to be 800 W as near as I can tell. It's a little larger appx. 20 W than the Denon current flagship. That 20 W has to work with 11 channels vs. 9.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The power consumption printed on the back shows to be 800 W as near as I can tell. It's a little larger appx. 20 W than the Denon current flagship. That 20 W has to work with 11 channels vs. 9.
You have good eye sight!! If the pattern continues, and if the rumor is good, by next Spring the new Denon flagship X7400H will have two more amp channels and probably power consumption of 880W. it may also get a toroidal transformer too, not that it matters. We have to wait and see.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think most of us don't need to upgrade at all.

I see the salient need to upgrade for HDMI and 1080p. Anything beyond that is extra credits in my book. :D

Some of us just upgrade for the heck of it. It's easy to find excuses. ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I can afford 3k but are you sure Gene is not asking for more?
I would take $3k + shipping. It's a loss but I'd rather sell to an appreciative audioholic than a Craigslist killer ;)

C

CaW

Enthusiast
Just when I think I'm out they pull me back in... upgrades.... upgrades... upgrades to stay near the bleeding video edge.

I'm in the process of replacing my Onkyo 3008 with a Denon 4300 paired with an Outlaw 7140 for the 7 primary channels and then I'll use the Denon for the 4 ceiling channels.

I see what you mean regarding the power supplies shrinking in the AV receivers. My last AVRs were all THX Ultra2 Onkyo models. Those things all weighed close to 50lbs mainly coming from the PS. I had a hard time justifying a new $1500 AVR with a hobbled PS. Thankfully the closeout pricing on the 4300 allowed the budget to include a 7140. I trust the ATI built amp will sufficiently fill my smaller dedicated 15x17 room.

Now it's projector upgrade time... looking at the new JVC 540.

Why can't I just be happy with my current gear?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Man, I've been struggling to justify upgrading the X4000, but, the X4300H sure is tempting. With no plan for a UHD video upgrade, there is just no point for me.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, I've been struggling to justify upgrading the X4000, but, the X4300H sure is tempting. With no plan for a UHD video upgrade, there is just no point for me.
Does the X4000 have xt32, SubEQHT?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis