TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
At present the settings are at:

LFE+Main
Large Speakers
Dyn EQ Yes
Dyn Vol Medium
Do not use Dynamic Eq or volume. Just use the auto set up for levels and distance. That is all you ever want to use on Denon Marantz. The Audyssey system is just an awful Eq system. If you have good speakers you do NOT need Audyssey Eq. I also highly doubt that Audyssey can improve poor ones.

The only thing I have found Audyssey to be good at, is making good systems sound awful.

I personally believe, and I think with good reason, that Audyssey is based on false precepts. Just avoid it like the plague and you will enjoy your system again.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
At present the settings are at:

LFE+Main
Large Speakers
Dyn EQ Yes
Dyn Vol Medium
Assuming you did follow the onscreen instructions to the letter when running Audyssey auto set up, please try the following settings:

LFE (LFE+Main may be doing more harm than good)
SMALL (not a typo, set them to small for your system to sound big!!)
Crossover - 80 Hz, can also try 90 or 100 Hz, depending on your subwoofer and room, 90,100 might be better.
Dyn EQ Yes/On, but try different offset such as 5, 10, 15 to suit your liking
Dyn Vol OFF
Speaker levels: Increase sub level by 2 to 3 dB.

Also, check you two channel menu to make sure you have selected subwoofer "ON" and crossover 80 Hz.

Edit: The mains obviously should be set to large if the subwoofer is not used, in that case if your bass issues remain with or without Audyssey "On", then it is time to contact SVS for suggestions. I am sure the SR7012 can give you all kinds of bass, unless you have a defective unit.

Below were the measurements of he SR7011, you can bet the SR7012 would have measured almost the same.

Marantz SR7011 A/V Receiver Review Test Bench | Sound & Vision (soundandvision.com)
"From the Dolby Digital input to the loudspeaker output, the left channel measures –0.02 dB at 20 Hz and –1.96 dB at 20 kHz. The center channel measures –0.02 dB at 20 Hz and –1.96 dB at 20 kHz, and the left surround channel measures –0.02 dB at 20 Hz and –1.94 dB at 20 kHz. From the Dolby Digital input to the line-level output, the LFE channel is +0.03 dB at 20 Hz when referenced to the level at 40 Hz and reaches the upper 3-dB down point at 106 Hz and the upper 6-dB down point at 111 Hz.—MJP"

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In addition to what PENG says, if you want more dynamic bass with DEQ, manually increase the speaker trims for all speakers and subs (by 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5dB). The reason is b/c the higher the trim levels, the more DEQ kicks in.

Back when I owned Denon’s, I always used DEQ with trims set 5dB higher. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In addition to what PENG says, if you want more dynamic bass with DEQ, manually increase the speaker trims for all speakers and subs (by 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5dB). The reason is b/c the higher the trim levels, the more DEQ kicks in.

Back when I owned Denon’s, I always used DEQ with trims set 5dB higher. :D
We can all try to help him getting the bass he wants with the sub but if he wants more bass without the sub, then yes he can try to have some fun doing what you are suggested, as long as his SVS towers can handle the potentially over boost, at certain volume setting.

When using without sub, he would have no choice but to set the speakers to "Large" so all our suggestions suddenly become moot.:D

For that scenario, I think his best bet is to contact SVS for suggestions, assuming Audyssey isn't the cause.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We can all try to help him getting the bass he wants with the sub but if he wants more bass without the sub, then yes he can try to have some fun doing what you are suggested, as long as his SVS towers can handle the potentially over boost, at certain volume setting.

When using without sub, he would have no choice but to set the speakers to "Large" so all our suggestions suddenly become moot.:D

For that scenario, I think his best bet is to contact SVS for suggestions, assuming Audyssey isn't the cause.
If he's trying to get more bass from his towers and not from his subwoofer, then scratch everything I said because I thought he was trying to get more bass from the subs. :D

And unless the towers have dual 10" woofers or dual 12" woofers, I say forget trying to get more bass from the towers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If he's trying to get more bass from his towers and not from his subwoofer, then scratch everything I said because I thought he was trying to get more bass from the subs. :D

And unless the towers have dual 10" woofers or dual 12" woofers, I say forget trying to get more bass from the towers.
Agreed. But the sub is a single 10” with a passive radiator that is -6db at 30hz. That’s according to REL, but what is reality. He said he was hoping to rock the whole house.
I don’t see that happening.....
Also, what are the speakers?

M

MattK2

Enthusiast
I’ve had this system for some time now and I thought I had it setup OK. Clearly not. Set the crossover for the towers at 60Hz and the other 3 at 80 Hz. Brought the sub x-over up from 60 to 250Hz. Fuller sound in the low end. I shut off the sub at one point for 2 channel playback with a turntable. Better.

I had used Audessey once but later wiped its setting and went manual since I didn’t care for the overall sound.

I feel I still have a lot to learn about how my components can be tweaked to sound and perform the best for the room. Already planning to elevate the surrounds up a couple feet. I’ll be watching for more tips. Suppose I should provide more details on the equipment and layout?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve had this system for some time now and I thought I had it setup OK. Clearly not. Set the crossover for the towers at 60Hz and the other 3 at 80 Hz. Brought the sub x-over up from 60 to 250Hz. Fuller sound in the low end. I shut off the sub at one point for 2 channel playback with a turntable. Better.

I had used Audessey once but later wiped its setting and went manual since I didn’t care for the overall sound.

I feel I still have a lot to learn about how my components can be tweaked to sound and perform the best for the room. Already planning to elevate the surrounds up a couple feet. I’ll be watching for more tips. Suppose I should provide more details on the equipment and layout?
Yes. Room and equipment will be helpful.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The comments about the 7012 are interesting. I have the 6012 and have absolutely NONE of these problems.
I think Maz posted above: “user error.” Based on what I’m seeing I’m inclined to agree.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ll be watching for more tips. Suppose I should provide more details on the equipment and layout?
When you said "my tiny Bose Bluetooth speaker has more bass!!! " were you just joking? If not then I would suggest you do a factory reset first and go from there. If after that, it still cannot beat the tiny Bose bluetooth speaker, then I think something is wrong with your SR7012, not all SR7012 just yours.

More details on the equipment/layout for sure would help others to come up with suggestions that may be helpful.

M

MattK2

Enthusiast
The Bose has decent bass for a small unit. That aside, the Marantz seems to have a gap in the sound image frequencies. If you know what I mean. It’s better since I’ve been experimenting. More later.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic

You were killing the top end of the lfe (subwoofer) channel with the crossover was set at 60hz. I’m sure you have a fuller sound after that change.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You were killing the top end of the lfe (subwoofer) channel with the crossover was set at 60hz. I’m sure you have a fuller sound after that change.
Just for clarity the lpf of lfe affects that. Not the XO. The XO won’t affect the lfe channel at all.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
He lpfed the top end of the lfe channel. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
One reason for the problem may be this.

You can see that the mids and HF units are over attenuated at the 800 Hz crossover point. In addition BSC seems on the over generous side.

A speaker with an FR like that will sound over warm and appear to have a strong bass, when in fact the F3 is 49 Hz.

Now I suspect that Audyssey is pulling that 5 db or so rise below 800 Hz down. The OP does not like that, as he likes the speakers the way they are.

In addition his receiver only have a 6 ohm rating. His speakers are quite definitely four ohm. So it is possible his receiver being a newer vintage does not handle that the best. With the FR the way is is, you know those speakers are going to be pulling a lot of current and increasing below 800 Hz.

This may actually be the crux of the matter.

As I have said before there are just too many power amps in receivers. They need a diet of 5 max. If people want more channels then there needs to be a forcing to use preouts and use external amplification.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe I’m not following you. I didn’t see where he changed the lpf of lfe.
Earlier he talked about raising the sub's "crossover" to 250hz, so that sounds like the LPF of LFE, which isn't a crossover (that last bit isn't for you but rather the OP).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis