Marantz SR6014 Audio Dropouts

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Update -
After a full factory reset, I used the turntable - the audio dropped out again. Three songs into the record for about 2 seconds. (I‘ve used a new record each time to guarantee it’s not the specific record)

So, I unplugged all the speakers. Then I took my bookshelf speakers and plugged those into the front right and left channel. So I’m only running a 2.1 system. With small speakers.
Audio dropped out.
Like I said, contrary to audiophile (7%) beliefs, most AVRs can power most speakers just fine and it doesn’t matter if the speakers ”dip” down to 3 ohms a little bit. That’s why I doubt it’s a power issue.

About 93% (per M Code) of the audio population only use AVR without any kind of external amps- they seem to be doing just fine. But the 7% of the population keeps in telling the 93% that they need more powerful amps. :D

I have seen AVR shut down due to high operating temperature, including Denon/Marantz, Onkyo. But the AVR usually shuts down, not have intermittent audio dropouts.

And if it has audio dropouts with everything - analog and streaming - then the AVR might be defective, not because it is underpowered.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does sound like it's time to return the avr, you seem to have done all a consumer can do to alleviate it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Like I said, contrary to audiophile (7%) beliefs, most AVRs can power most speakers just fine and it doesn’t matter if the speakers ”dip” down to 3 ohms a little bit. That’s why I doubt it’s a power issue.

About 93% (per M Code) of the audio population only use AVR without any kind of external amps- they seem to be doing just fine. But the 7% of the population keeps in telling the 93% that they need more powerful amps. :D

I have seen AVR shut down due to high operating temperature, including Denon/Marantz, Onkyo. But the AVR usually shuts down, not have intermittent audio dropouts.

And if it has audio dropouts with everything - analog and streaming - then the AVR might be defective, not because it is underpowered.
The problem is that the apparent power where those high negative phase angles are is about double the true power. However that apparent power is having the same heating effect on the power transistors. That is why speakers like that are amp busters. That receiver is not specked for that situation. To put it another way you will get away with it if you don't let that amp produce over 50% of its rated power at most into that load.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
I'm running the SR6014 with a 5.2 setup with speakers that have similar specs (88db Sensitivity) with no issues. Not sure if it would matter much but have you checked for firmware/software updates?

LonePine

LonePine

Audiophyte
I did check the firmware. It was all up to date.

I plugged everything back into the Pioneer and the issue stopped. So I decided to return the Marantz, as much as I loved the sound.

Maybe I‘ll wait for the new SR6015 and also research some extra power.

Thanks everyone for your help.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
@LonePine Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I hope you have better luck with your next choice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did check the firmware. It was all up to date.

I plugged everything back into the Pioneer and the issue stopped. So I decided to return the Marantz, as much as I loved the sound.

Maybe I‘ll wait for the new SR6015 and also research some extra power.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Did you try to use the Pioneer as the “External Amp” and let the Marantz be the processor?

Connect the Marantz Pre-out to the Pioneer MCH Inputs. Now the Pioneer is used as the amp only.

See if the dropout is due to lack of power in the Marantz. If the dropout still occurs even when the Pioneer is the amp, then something is wrong with the Marantz.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis