Marantz SR6013 Vs Yamaha RX-A1080 AVENTAGE

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, you think TLS Guy will ever turn to the Dark side? Come to think of it has anyone seen him lately? Sure hope he ok.
If his Marantz AVP fails and cannot be fixed (he had to replace a HDMI board before) and he is able to find a good deal on a Yamaha AVP (he would never buy an AVR),then there is a chance he might turn to the Yamaha Dark Side because TLS Guy does not use any kind of room EQ.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
If his Marantz AVP fails and cannot be fixed (he had to replace a HDMI board before) and he is able to find a good deal on a Yamaha AVP (he would never buy an AVR),then there is a chance he might turn to the Yamaha Dark Side because TLS Guy does not use any kind of room EQ.
Lolo, yeah I know he hates AC.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
No, in fact I have never experienced Dolby Atmos yet. But I see nowadays more and more media like Netflix, iTunes store and Blu-rays support natively this format and since I am going to rebuild my HT setup due to my move, I found good Idea to upgrade to DA. The problem is I do not think I have enough space for more speakers to go for 5.1.4 setup. My couch is going to be attached to the back wall in the room, so no speakers can be placed enough behind the listening position.
I can say with my experience with the sr6013, it's a great unit. Having used Yamaha amps and Marantz, I prefer Marantz...I don't much like Denon products that I've had in the past.
As for 5.1.2, it works quite well. I've got a pair of JBL N24 (lower end) mounted to the tops of my custom JBL main L/R for the Dolby speakers, with 3 surround channels in back.
One thing I'll also mention concerning the 6013, in my system (6013; LGTV; Samsung BD player) is I had no audio, at all, with bd connected to the avr via hdmi. BD connected to the LG, I got sound to the avr via ARC, but not hi res. Now, I can't explain why, but with bd connected to avr hdmi and hdmi w/Ethernet on the ARC circuit tv to avr, I added a second hdmi cable from Monitor2 out on the 6013 to a tv hdmi input, with a bd already playing (but no sound) as soon as I had both ends of the second cable connected, I had music playing.

click

click

Audioholic Intern
I recently noticed that there is a new AVR line from ARCAM coming out soon and the old entry level AVR390 model will be offered in a lower more attractive price point. Its new price will still be much above my initial budget, but having red some reviews claiming that ARCAM AV-receivers are perhaps the most musical and among of the highest quality on the market, plus that its DIRAC is way superior than any other room correction method out, makes me thinking maybe it is worth it to make the big step and increase my budget. I know that with this receiver I am losing some features compared to the other 2 mentioned receivers like wi-fi, streaming capabilities, eARC, airplay2, home kit, google assistant, alexa etc. but to be honest I do not value them as much as the audio quality.

What do you think about this receiver, will I hear a significant difference for stereo music listening from my Klipsch RP speakers? Will the DIRAC room correction make big difference for movies?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I recently noticed that there is a new AVR line from ARCAM coming out soon and the old entry level AVR390 model will be offered in a lower more attractive price point. Its new price will still be much above my initial budget, but having red some reviews claiming that ARCAM AV-receivers are perhaps the most musical and among of the highest quality on the market, plus that its DIRAC is way superior than any other room correction method out, makes me thinking maybe it is worth it to make the big step and increase my budget. I know that with this receiver I am losing some features compared to the other 2 mentioned receivers like wi-fi, streaming capabilities, eARC, airplay2, home kit, google assistant, alexa etc. but to be honest I do not value them as much as the audio quality.

What do you think about this receiver, will I hear a significant difference for stereo music listening from my Klipsch RP speakers? Will the DIRAC room correction make big difference for movies?
Room correction should only be used below the transition frequencies, 200 to 300hz. I'd imagine that you are paying a premium for their products. The real question is what is going on currently with those frequencies below. Without looking back, have you taken any measurements?

click

click

Audioholic Intern
I mentioned somewhere before, I am planning to move my system to a new place (the house is currently under construction) and I am planning to upgrade to Atmos with new additional celling speakers and new receiver. How the system behaves right now in my place is therefore irrelevant.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
1. I never used Audyssey or Denon manual EQ. So I don't even know if the Denon has PEQ. But I always assumed they do. On my Yamaha, I only use PEQ for frequencies below 100Hz. I would not touch anything above that.

2. For music, I exclusively use MusicCast to stream music from my Samsung Phone or iPad to my Yamaha.

I haven't used MusicCast any other way. But if I had a Yamaha in every room, I could stream music from my phone/iPad to every room.

MusicCast can stream music up to 96kHz/24 bit for Lossless Apple, 192kHz/24 bit for lossless WAV, FLAC, AIFF. DSD files up to 5.6 Mhz.

MusicCast has worked 100% for me. Never any dropout or loss of signal or anything. 100% reliability for me.

When I was using AriPlay on my Denon AVP-A1HDCI, the music would dropout or just completely stop and lose signal. Very inconsistent.

I mentioned earlier about the Denon iOS/Android remote app vs the Yamaha iOS/Android remote app.

The Denon remote worked about 50% of the time for me on my AVP-A1HDCI.

The Yamaha remote works 100% of the time for me on my CX-A5100.
I need to try Musicast from my iPhone to my Yamaha for the Amazon Music HD. I didn’t get great results with Airplay from my iPhone to my Apple TV 4K so lately I just use the 4K Firestick which is actually only 16/48.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I need to try Musicast from my iPhone to my Yamaha for the Amazon Music HD. I didn’t get great results with Airplay from my iPhone to my Apple TV 4K so lately I just use the 4K Firestick which is actually only 16/48.
From iPhone to Apple TV?

Doesn't the Yamaha also have AirPlay internally?

I've only used AirPlay when I was using the Denon's. With the Yamaha, I've only used the MusicCast, which still works 100% for me (both my Samsung phone and iPad).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
From iPhone to Apple TV?
Doesn't the Yamaha also have AirPlay internally?
I've only used AirPlay when I was using the Denon's. With the Yamaha, I've only used the MusicCast, which still works 100% for me (both my Samsung phone and iPad).
Airplay from iPhone to Apple TV is usually good but with Amazon Music HD it’s not as good as Ethernet internet directly to Firestick 4K.

Amazon Music app on Apple TV is not available in HD

Airplay from iPhone to Yamaha I believe is limited to 128Kbps like the built in Pandora?? (Not sure) but probably not limited if Musicast from iPhone to Yamaha?? (Not sure),so wanted to try that.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Airplay from iPhone to Apple TV is usually good but with Amazon Music HD it’s not as good as Ethernet internet directly to Firestick 4K.

Amazon Music app on Apple TV is not available in HD

Airplay from iPhone to Yamaha I believe is limited to 128Kbps like the built in Pandora?? (Not sure) but probably not limited if Musicast from iPhone to Yamaha?? (Not sure),so wanted to try that.
So musicast works for Pandora very well.

I think I have to setup Amazon Music thru the Alexa app for musiccast to use Amazon Music and unsure if that means regular Amazon music or Amazon music HD. (That’s a guess, I’ll need to research further)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I hope you like it! But damn, I hate talking to my devices. I use “hey Siri” for some things but I hate searching on dish by voice and I do NOT miss the echo dot I gave my kid.
Ya in the fine details, my 2016 didn’t get the update anyhow. LOL :)

I have an echo dot in the kitchen. It’s perfect for playing music when washing dishes. Also I set it up when painting inside the house. :)

click

click

Audioholic Intern

Anyone has an answer/opinion to my question?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

IMO, the Arcam (or any other AVR) isn't any more "musical" than a Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Sony, etc. I think it's all in people's mind or placebo effect.

If you must use Auto Room Correction (especially for 20Hz-200Hz) - then I think most people would say that DIRAC is a good one. Some of us don't like to use any kind of Auto Room Correction or just use manual Parametric EQ only for the bass 15Hz-80Hz. So if auto room correction is a must, then I think the Arcam would be fine point.

When you search the web, you will see that some people like DIRAC, and some people don't like DIRAC. It's the same way with all auto room EQ. It's a personal preference. There is no guarantee that you will like DIRAC.

Lastly, these Room EQ can only do so much for your speakers and room. They won't do magic. If your speakers aren't great to begin with, none of these expensive auto room correction will make them great. If your room is so bad, none of these room EQ will fix that. So I would focus most of my budget first on the actual SPEAKERS.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not a believer in room EQ personally. Most people are good with Denon or Yamaha and spend the majority of their budget on the front 3 and subs.

Also FWIW, I also don’t think Marantz is any better necessarily than the Denons from Sound United with the same power supply and same year model feature set.

Good luck! :)

click

click

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replies. Another thought I made is if I buy a budget receiver and spend some more money on a separate 2-channel power amplifier only for the 2 fronts, will I get better results in music?

People say that 2-channel amplifiers are generally superior to AV-receivers for music but I never got the chance to test it personally on the same speakers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the replies. Another thought I made is if I buy a budget receiver and spend some more money on a separate 2-channel power amplifier only for the 2 fronts, will I get better results in music?

People say that 2-channel amplifiers are generally superior to AV-receivers for music but I never got the chance to test it personally on the same speakers.
If you are really needing power to get to a particular SPL, which perhaps your AVR cannot... then maybe it will sound "better" in the sense that 'louder' is often equated with 'better SQ.' But good AVRs and Amps should be pretty well neutral and not influence the sound quality. Some will argue differently. I have not heard anything myself to sway me on that, and I suspect many here would agree. *shrugs
I would target a good quality mid-level AVR that has the feature set you need for your plans over the next 5 yrs. Marantz SR60xx/70xx or comparable Denon should handle most anything you need, for example. Put the front 3 on an external if that's necessary, but let the AVR Amp drive your surrounds and Atmos... it's a sound strategy. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis