Marantz SR6013 Vs Yamaha RX-A1080 AVENTAGE

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My listening/HT area is going to be around 4x4m. However this is just a part of a much bigger living room around 40 m2. I do not know how all this translates in feets.

It is not I wouldn’t like to go for a .4 setup, it’s just I do not know where to put the backs. If I squeeze them right at my back wall, they will be practically just above my head and I am afraid there will be no differentiation in the sound with the front Atmos. According to Dolby the front ceiling Atmos are placed just in front of the listening position left and right, which means for my case the back Atmos will not be more than a meter away from the front Atmos. I will have all 4 speakers above my head.
And I am not trying to convince you to do it, but the Atmos speaker placements are not that rigid, imo even if not placed in the optimal way, there will still be benefits. I guess you must have been to the linked site below, but may be take another detailed look.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

They show the angle of elevations in the range of 55 to 30 degrees. At 30 deg (180 - 150 for the rear speakers), the top rears will be behind the surrounds, but at 30 degrees, they are shown in front of the surrounds. My room has very low ceiling, just under 8 ft, so I have even worse angles than the limits shown in the Dolby guide yet and I still enjoy the effect, though it does depend on the mix/source.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I guess you mean the new model avr-x3500h. There is no difference in price here between avr-x3400h and avr-x3500h.

With this Denon I only save around 200 bucks compared to SR6013 and 300 bucks compared to avr-x4500h and last year's Yamaha RX-A1070. I see the Denon x3500h lacks all advanced audio technologies found on the upper Denon models like DDSC, AL32 Processing etc. plus other technologies like IMAX Enhanced, Auro 3D etc. Are you sure I am not losing anything in sound quality compared to Marantz? I also find the plastic front face of the avr-x3500h terrible :)
Minus the few things you mentioned, the x3x00 series (most dont use any of the aforementioned) is very good, price a bonus. I'm using one in a two channel setup as a preamp with no issues whatsoever. Some audiophools would thank that's crazy with 6k speakers but it does as well as any esoteric gear I've owned, with features to boot. That with a denon pro bluray media player, hard drive and TT, and a 2 channel amp, I'm not missing anything.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I know but I have others priorities now. I also don’t have currently the budget to build it the way I want.
Yep, been there many times. That's thing about this hobby, there are some members on AH that have some really killer high end set ups. Some have in the middle, and some have set ups for not a lot of money but sound really nice cause they have it set up right. It doesn't take a lot of money to have a good decent setup. PENG, M Code, TLS Guy, loveinthehd, ADTG and others are good guys to get to know. They have the knowledge, experience, great to get tips from. These guys won't ever give bad advice usually they'll tell you to stay with what you got maybe upgrade just your Sub or something like that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
  • Is the parametric EQ on the Yamaha similar to the one from Audyssey via an app? Is it better/worse?
  • How MusicCast works exactly. Is it only for streaming music from the receiver to wireless speakers or you can also for stream music from wireless devices towards the AV receiver like AirPlay?
1. I never used Audyssey or Denon manual EQ. So I don't even know if the Denon has PEQ. But I always assumed they do. On my Yamaha, I only use PEQ for frequencies below 100Hz. I would not touch anything above that.

2. For music, I exclusively use MusicCast to stream music from my Samsung Phone or iPad to my Yamaha.

I haven't used MusicCast any other way. But if I had a Yamaha in every room, I could stream music from my phone/iPad to every room.

MusicCast can stream music up to 96kHz/24 bit for Lossless Apple, 192kHz/24 bit for lossless WAV, FLAC, AIFF. DSD files up to 5.6 Mhz.

MusicCast has worked 100% for me. Never any dropout or loss of signal or anything. 100% reliability for me.

When I was using AriPlay on my Denon AVP-A1HDCI, the music would dropout or just completely stop and lose signal. Very inconsistent.

I mentioned earlier about the Denon iOS/Android remote app vs the Yamaha iOS/Android remote app.

The Denon remote worked about 50% of the time for me on my AVP-A1HDCI.

The Yamaha remote works 100% of the time for me on my CX-A5100.

click

click

Audioholic Intern
kHz/24 bit for Lossless Apple,
1. I never used Audyssey or Denon manual EQ. So I don't even know if the Denon has PEQ. But I always assumed they do. On my Yamaha, I only use PEQ for frequencies below 100Hz. I would not touch anything above that.

2. For music, I exclusively use MusicCast to stream music from my Samsung Phone or iPad to my Yamaha.

I haven't used MusicCast any other way. But if I had a Yamaha in every room, I could stream music from my phone/iPad to every room.

MusicCast can stream music up to 96kHz/24 bit for Lossless Apple, 192kHz/24 bit for lossless WAV, FLAC, AIFF. DSD files up to 5.6 Mhz.

MusicCast has worked 100% for me. Never any dropout or loss of signal or anything. 100% reliability for me.

When I was using AriPlay on my Denon AVP-A1HDCI, the music would dropout or just completely stop and lose signal. Very inconsistent.

I mentioned earlier about the Denon iOS/Android remote app vs the Yamaha iOS/Android remote app.

The Denon remote worked about 50% of the time for me on my AVP-A1HDCI.

The Yamaha remote works 100% of the time for me on my CX-A5100.

I do not have major issues with Marantz remote app, apart from once in a while loses connection with the receiver but I think this is due to the receiver loses some synchronization with the network, not due to the app since as long as I unplug it from power and plug it back again its all good. I would say it works for me 95%. It is very easy and convenient in use, it just don't have that extensive functionality. One thing it is annoying is after the latest update, now every time you close the application (or your phone goes power saving) you need to connect to the receiver again to use it again. Before last update it remembered your receiver, I can't understand why they changed that!

Airplay also works pretty ok for me, sometimes there are issues with the connectivity but it is generally ok. Never really dropped during playback, sometimes just happens to take some time to connect. I have noticed that AirPlay on my Apple TV 4K is much more reliable, maybe that's because it is AirPlay 2.

Can you use MusicCast to stream music from your computer like AirPlay or it needs a mobile app? Most of my music and especially the high resolution files are not located on my iOS devices but on hard disks attached to my computer.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I do not have major issues with Marantz remote app, apart from once in a while loses connection with the receiver but I think this is due to the receiver loses some synchronization with the network, not due to the app since as long as I unplug it from power and plug it back again its all good. I would say it works for me 95%. It is very easy and convenient in use, it just don't have that extensive functionality. One thing it is annoying is after the latest update, now every time you close the application (or your phone goes power saving) you need to connect to the receiver again to use it again. Before last update it remembered your receiver, I can't understand why they changed that!

Airplay also works pretty ok for me, sometimes there are issues with the connectivity but it is generally ok. Never really dropped during playback, sometimes just happens to take some time to connect. I have noticed that AirPlay on my Apple TV 4K is much more reliable, maybe that's because it is AirPlay 2.

Can you use MusicCast to stream music from your computer like AirPlay or it needs a mobile app? Most of my music and especially the high resolution files are not located on my iOS devices but on hard disks attached to my computer.
I’m an iPhone owner. I use the Apple TV 4K with my Yamaha RX-A2060 with Airplay. I’m running 5.1 but will go to 5.1.4 soon. This is a winner for me.

I have 2 other rooms with the same setup as well, with mid end Yamaha models from 2016 and 2017.

Good luck! :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can you use MusicCast to stream music from your computer like AirPlay
When I was using AirPlay with my Denon's, I never used it with my PC.

I haven't tried using MusicCast with my PC either. But one of these days I will try to use it.

So I'm not sure about that. :D

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Any better than MusicCast or just another option/improvement over AirPlay?
My understanding is that Yamaha wanted to improve the compatibility of their products with the popular streaming apps, especially in light of the explosive growth/penetration of Alexa products by Amazon. Also their interface with their latest OS Mojave 14.4 is improved...

Just my $0.02... ;)

click

click

Audioholic Intern
Yesterday I made some measurements in the plans of my new house. Perhaps it’s feasible to go for a 5.1.4 setup. My main issue now is the 2 additional ceiling speakers are gonna kill my budget.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yesterday I made some measurements in the plans of my new house. Perhaps it’s feasible to go for a 5.1.4 setup. My main issue now is the 2 additional ceiling speakers are gonna kill my budget.
Imo they don't have to kill any budget as they are just for effects. Something big enough for XO of 120-140 Hz and can handle 100 W or so without audible distortions should be good enough for a small to medium size room. I know there are really expensive ones but are you really going to focus so closely on the sound quality of 4 effects speakers overhead when watching action movies?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It‘s not that I want to install something of very high quality, I just want something discreet to match the sound signature of my fronts and center. I was thinking 4 of those for the Atmos: https://www.klipsch.com/products/pro-14rc

And 2 of those for the surrounds:
https://www.klipsch.com/products/pro-14rw
Matching the front 3 is a good idea, for Atmos and surround, matching left/right is good too, beyond that I think it is a myth if you use REQ such as Audyssey, YPAO, Anthem ARC etc. I know manufacturers and may professional reviewers and installers will promote the "timbre matching all..." concept but I don't think that is practically necessary, just my own 0.00002 cents though. Just take a look of the in room frequency response, you tell me how the heck you can tell their in room timbre anyway.

For example, which two of the following speakers would match better? I have to provide a link to the source (https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=140 ), but please click/go there to see after you made you choice. Note that those are on-axis,

speakerA

speakerB

speakerC

1555855933673.png

1555855959217.png

1555856007706.png

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Maybe for 7 channel stereo listening ? Timber Match may be needed? ,

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I hope I'm not mixing up my threads, but IIRC, your sofa is up against the back wall (a bad thing), will the new approach allow for some clearance behind you? About a meter of clearance (and/or perhaps some sound absorbent material on the wall) behind you would be beneficial!

click

click

Audioholic Intern
I hope I'm not mixing up my threads, but IIRC, your sofa is up against the back wall (a bad thing),will the new approach allow for some clearance behind you? About a meter of clearance (and/or perhaps some sound absorbent material on the wall) behind you would be beneficial!
Behind the sofa in fact there will be a big window starting from the floor up to almost the ceiling, the same at the right side of the sofa. The new approach is to move the sofa a little bit forward but no more than half meter away from the window. I estimate the back Atmos will be positioned around 1,5 meters away from the front Atmos in order all of them to be symmetrical to the listening position.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis