Marantz SR6013 heating up room!

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So got this 2 weeks ago and noticed my room getting especially hotter than normal - turns out the SR6013 is like a fireplace!

I am afraid I will need to return it - any comparable AVR's that dont exhibit this issue?

My previous Integra DTR-30.4 never did this at all.

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I've read of some Marantz running warm like that, some Onkyo/Integras did, too. Does it have plenty of ventilation? You listening at high levels? You can always add external cooling....AC Infinity I think makes a few that even match the Marantz somewhat aesthetically.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Well I've read of some Marantz running warm like that, some Onkyo/Integras did, too. Does it have plenty of ventilation? You listening at high levels? You can always add external cooling....AC Infinity I think makes a few that even match the Marantz somewhat aesthetically.
No it's in a closed cabinet

I can't see myself putting in a fan or AC in the cabinet

Any other solutions or perhaps denons run cooler??

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Run it in eco mode. It will stay cool. My 6012 is hot too, but my pioneer is hotter yet. My Onkyos have always been barely warm, even after hours of use.
I’d run yours in eco mode, and look at an ac infinity fan if you really want. Like I said, eco mode will let it run cool though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Get it out of the closed cabinet. You're letting it cook in there. You need some clearance or a fan or something. My Marantz does run on the warm side too so I got one of these.
41502.jpeg

I've been told it looks like part of the receiver. It even has the rounded edges. I think it looks nice and I know It runs much cooler now. You can find them for less than the one I linked. I got that one because I like the way it looks.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Run it in eco mode. It will stay cool. My 6012 is hot too, but my pioneer is hotter yet. My Onkyos have always been barely warm, even after hours of use.
I’d run yours in eco mode, and look at an ac infinity fan if you really want. Like I said, eco mode will let it run cool though.
Thanks

Running in Eco will it degrade the performance??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks

Running in Eco will it degrade the performance??

No. The only way I can see that is if you’re pushing it really hard. There’s also “auto” eco mode too. It kicks in when the volume is below the threshold number(like 70 on the absolute scale). I use a 2ch amp for my mains, so I’ve been leaving ON. If I’m shaking the house I’ll shut it off, but even when I’ve forgotten, I can’t say I could even tell TBH.
Definitely try it. I was really surprised.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Fwiw, @PENG can probably recite the technical data that I can’t remember off hand.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Thanks guys

I'll try Eco mode

I'll also look into the fans

Cheers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just keep in mind modern avrs need ventilation of some kind, and in a closed cabinet some active cooling is the way to go.

Needs ventilation, a fan on top is what I use for mine in tight spots.....they're (modern avrs) just not built to be stuffed into tight spots (or anything stacked on top of them) with no airflow what with all the heat they generate with hdmi/video boards and amps and all. I've got a couple fans from Coolerguys like this.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The manual will say something to the effect of 6-8 inches on top and sides... oviously for cables you need room in back. I'm a big fan of the AC Infinity stuff too. I went with the Aircom T series... they have a front, top, or rear venting option. I had my Marantz in a cabinet for a while and used the front vent unit with great success.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Fwiw, @PENG can probably recite the technical data that I can’t remember off hand.
Below is an explanation of how ECO "auto" works, supposedly originated from D+M custom Install in his response to an AVSF member. Unfortunately D&M took the easy way by triggering the ECO "On"/"Off" with the volume position only. So if you listen with the volume higher than the programmed set point (not changeable by the user),ECO will be "Off" all the time even if set to "Auto". I am not sure if the newer models, i.e. 2018/2019 models are programmed differently, my educated guess is that there would be no change.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2089586-denon-s-eco-mode-what-does-do-exactly.html

A quick re-hash of the settings for “ECO Mode”
As with many of this year’s models, the NR1605 includes the latest Marantz smart ECO mode. This reduces power consumption significantly when the receiver is just used for background listening or running on lower levels without any negative impact to the audio quality. If the higher power is required while watching a movie or listening louder to favorite music, the NR1605 automatically switches to “full power output”. The smart ECO mode has three settings: Auto, On and Off leaving it up to the user to decide.
So here’s the response of D&M via email to me on how this works:
Response By Email (NJ Customer Service & Support) (10/11/2016 12:08 PM)
Hi Michael,
When ECO Mode is used, voltage for the amp stage decreases about 1/3 and amplifier stage energy loss decreases about 1/6 compared to ECO Mode being OFF.
It is recommend when using external amplification to leave ECO Mode set to ON. This will reduce power consumption to less than 70W.
When using ECO Mode ON at lower volume levels (under 45 Absolute) power consumption is about 1/2 as compared to leaving ECO Mode OFF. This is useful if using the AVR at night and you do not want to disturb others.
When using ECO Mode Auto, the circuit will control the power supply voltage by a relay. If the volume level is more than 45 Absolute the circuit will cut off. If the volume is less than 45 Absolute the circuit will switch on automatically. If listening at the threshold level (45) you will hear the relay clicking on and off frequently. Voltage for the amp stage does not change here, so power consumption would be the same as normal.

Thank You,
D+M Custom Install

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Terrific information guys. Thanks so much.

I was ready to return it.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If the cabinet is fully closed all sides, front and back you really need to get some vent holes with fans or your gear wont live nearly as long as it should. If cabinet is open in the back an ac infinity that blows out the back will work wonders.
Or you need to get a very cool running reciever, probably class D.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
If the cabinet is fully closed all sides, front and back you really need to get some vent holes with fans or your gear wont live nearly as long as it should. If cabinet is open in the back an ac infinity that blows out the back will work wonders.

Class D?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Class D?

Often called digital amplifier. They usually run much cooler then class a/b ones.
Just to note, denon and marantz(and other brands for that matter) often run quite hot. I use an ac infinity cooler on my marantz processor but my parasound amp is fine on its own with big cooling ribs, which is somewhat funny.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've read that the Pioneer SC-65 (class-D amps) runs very hot on open shelf.

So I'm not sure if it's just the Amps that's causing the heat in these AVRs.

Yamaha AVRs seem to be among the coolest/lowest operating temp and they use class A/B amps. I was thinking probably due to stringent circuit protection and some kind of ECO mode is involved.

Both my Yamaha CX-A5100 and MX-A5000 (11Ch Amp) run extremely cool compared to any of my Denon (including AVP-A1HDCI and AVR-5308CI) in the same exact conditions - AC cooled closet.

My ATI AT2005 amp is a little warm to touch on the same rack. Yet, the MX-A5000 amp is actually VERY COOL to touch, and it's also class AB.

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I've read that the Pioneer SC-65 (class-D amps) runs very hot on open shelf.

So I'm not sure if it's just the Amps that's causing the heat in these AVRs.
All the other bits like processors etc do too ye which is why the marantz processors run quite hot without the power amplifiers in them i guess. Some class D seem to be hot too from what i read but they are usually the least heat producing also. But i dont think any manual for a reciever says its ok for an unventilated fully closed cabinet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So got this 2 weeks ago and noticed my room getting especially hotter than normal - turns out the SR6013 is like a fireplace!

I am afraid I will need to return it - any comparable AVR's that dont exhibit this issue?

My previous Integra DTR-30.4 never did this at all.

Thanks
Those 120mm AC Infinity fans are probably the cheapest option to cool any electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Cooling-Ventilation-Projects/dp/B009OWVUJ0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=AC+Finity+fan&qid=1566566681&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFVQTIzTEY5VkxISEMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMjYxNTdBSEM3SU0yUFNDRTQmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BM1FTRTZOTFRGVlpZUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Otherwise, you might try a Yamaha AVR, which seems to be among the coolest operating.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis