ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice work. I’m curious about this version of Audyssey with xt32. The setup wizard is really well done so I’m curious about walking through Audyssey.
I’m silently going crazy waiting to get som QT with my system. I’ve got stacks of movies and stuff in my dvr just waiting! Not to mention all my music...
If you want to play with it, you do kinda need the app, ($20) otherwise the on-board version is pretty limited to what you can do.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to play with it, you do kinda need the app, ($20) otherwise the on-board version is pretty limited to what you can do.
I think in the end I’ll buy the app although there’s been so many mixed reviews. For 20 bucks, what the h3LL... I like that you can select the upper cut off range. That might prove valuable.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ac infinity looks excellent. Have one on my list.

Also in the 4 hours that mine was on last night. It did get pretty warm. Warmer than my old Onkyo but nowhere near as hot as my pioneer. That thing actually seems dangerous to me as hot as it gets.
I have my controls set to medium fan with the smart setting on... the AC Infinity thermostat never gets up above 82F.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think in the end I’ll buy the app although there’s been so many mixed reviews. For 20 bucks, what the h3LL... I like that you can select the upper cut off range. That might prove valuable.
But like I said, if you wanna see how it read your speakers... no choice. Besides, its a one-time cost... just think about it... as part of the receiver? Hell, you can play with this for two hours and never use it again... just like going to a bad movie. Sh!t, with the family, the Audyssey App is probably cheaper! ;)

Now I can't wait to get a UMic and REW. I wanna compare them side by side and see how good audyssey is.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But like I said, if you wanna see how it read your speakers... no choice. Besides, its a one-time cost... just think about it... as part of the receiver? Hell, you can play with this for two hours and never use it again... just like going to a bad movie. Sh!t, with the family, the Audyssey App is probably cheaper! ;)

Now I can't wait to get a UMic and REW. I wanna compare them side by side and see how good audyssey is.
Lmao! Definitely cheaper than MY family!!!
you mean use rew to compare audyssey off/on? That is an interesting exercise and one for a different thread lol.

I kinda feel like though, with an AVR of that cost and depth of features the app should be free. Not because I don’t have 20 bucks, but just in principle.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, I dont have that option, older models get taken off the market here in Europe and only a few is available. That is why I am in search of which one to get. I want the most bang for the buck. And to justify the extra 250 USD the Denon costs. Witch one is best considering price?
If you're comfortable spending the money, buy the newer Denon, assuming it does everything you need... if you can get the Marantz and save a few ducats, do it. @PENG raised some good points. Make certain you know what you're getting. Both should be good. But we cannot decide for you. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you're comfortable spending the money, buy the newer Denon, assuming it does everything you need... if you can get the Marantz and save a few ducats, do it. @PENG raised some good points. Make certain you know what you're getting. Both should be good. But we cannot decide for you. ;)
Agreed. @PENG always brings up good practical points. For me, the Marantz won because of the pre-OUTS, the look, and it was a little cheaper. I couldn’t care less about Auro right now so that wasn’t a big deal. I do have a 2ch amp for my mains so I’m not concerned with power, and if I do need more, I can buy another Yamaha amp! The denon is a great AVR and also a good deal but for the extra money, the denon just wasn’t worth it to me.
@StinkyPete what considerations do you have?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. @PENG always brings up good practical points. For me, the Marantz won because of the pre-OUTS, the look, and it was a little cheaper. I couldn’t care less about Auro right now so that wasn’t a big deal. I do have a 2ch amp for my mains so I’m not concerned with power, and if I do need more, I can buy another Yamaha amp! The denon is a great AVR and also a good deal but for the extra money, the denon just wasn’t worth it to me.
@StinkyPete what considerations do you have?
You're saying that the Denon doesn't have pre-outs?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You're saying that the Denon doesn't have pre-outs?
Maybe it does? For some reason I thought it might have had only one set. Don’t know why. Still, the extra money wasn’t worth it for me. I feel like it’s gonna be a great AVR. If I can EVER get to play...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe it does? For some reason I thought it might have had only one set. Don’t know why. Still, the extra money wasn’t worth it for me. I feel like it’s gonna be a great AVR. If I can EVER get to play...
Denons from the 3x00 models on up have pre-outs.....just not the multi-ch ins any more as some of the Marantz models do....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Denons from the 3x00 models on up have pre-outs.....just not the multi-ch ins any more as some of the Marantz models do....
Thanks for reminding me of that. I might have known.(maybe I did). Even my old Onkyo had a full set. Duh...
Anyways, one thing that stood out on the denon was power, but I didn’t feel it was compelling enough. Although I do have a pioneer rated at 125X7 that when compared to my Onkyo at 135X7, always ran out of steam at really high volumes. It was weird. You could just hear the pio losing power and control. Whereas the onk just kept going no matter how loud I went. I also remember the 808 benched very well. A lot like the older 805.
Since I power my mains with a Yamaha pro amp at 250x2 I’m not worried about power. Plus I do like how the Marantz looks.
Overall I don’t think I’ll miss anything from the 4400. Idgaf about Auro, so the 7012/4400 don’t matter. Iirc the 6013 has Auro fwiw.

I am wondering how to integrate my 3rd sub. Xt32 will do 2 individually. I’m pretty sure a splitter will just Fukk it up. So......since I have a minidsp, I thought I’d use that. Run The Audyssey subs passed clean(or eq as necessary) and just eq the 3rd one by itself. It’s just an mbm anyway. Might not use it even... ok yeah, I will lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for reminding me of that. I might have known.(maybe I did). Even my old Onkyo had a full set. Duh...
Anyways, one thing that stood out on the denon was power, but I didn’t feel it was compelling enough. Although I do have a pioneer rated at 125X7 that when compared to my Onkyo at 135X7, always ran out of steam at really high volumes. It was weird. You could just hear the pio losing power and control. Whereas the onk just kept going no matter how loud I went. I also remember the 808 benched very well. A lot like the older 805.
Since I power my mains with a Yamaha pro amp at 250x2 I’m not worried about power. Plus I do like how the Marantz looks.
Overall I don’t think I’ll miss anything from the 4400. Idgaf about Auro, so the 7012/4400 don’t matter. Iirc the 6013 has Auro fwiw.

I am wondering how to integrate my 3rd sub. Xt32 will do 2 individually. I’m pretty sure a splitter will just Fukk it up. So......since I have a minidsp, I thought I’d use that. Run The Audyssey subs passed clean(or eq as necessary) and just eq the 3rd one by itself. It’s just an mbm anyway. Might not use it even... ok yeah, I will lol.
The minidsp is the way to start since you have it. If you didn't setting two subs equidistant on the same preout could work well enough.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For three subs, identify which two are closest to the same distance from the LP and put them on a splitter. You will need to level match that pair manually.
The way Audyssey xt32 works is it uses subeq to level and phase match the subs prior to running Audyssey. As long as the distance is equal, the pair should be phase matched to each other, and subeq will match them to the other sub, then xt32 will manage all 3 subs as one for actual equalization process.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As HD said even the Denon x3000 series have a full set of pre-outs. It is the 7.1 analog inputs that Denon models don't have except For the top models such as the 4520, 7200 and 8500. For some reason Marantz still provide this practically obsolete feature on their lower models.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As HD said even the Denon x3000 series have a full set of pre-outs. It is the 7.1 analog inputs that Denon models don't have except For the top models such as the 4520, 7200 and 8500. For some reason Marantz still provide this practically obsolete feature on their lower models.
Actually for some reason the X3000 didn't have but sub and zone pre-outs; they added a full set with the 3100 and on.....yet somehow I was thinking my 3x00 designation somehow accounted for that! LOL :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually for some reason the X3000 didn't have but sub and zone pre-outs; they added a full set with the 3100 and on.....yet somehow I was thinking my 3x00 designation somehow accounted for that! LOL
Actually when I mentioned X3000 series I meant the current X3200W and newer, i.e. anything that meets HDCP2.2, basically anything older would be too old to mention, they probably won't even do 4K, let alone Atmos etc.....:D:D Similarly, for the SR6011 and older, in fact the SR6010/6011 doesn't even have the 32 bit AK4458.. not that it would make any difference as the 24 bit PCM1690 is quite decent, but it's a criteria that made the 6010/6011 clearly one notch below the X4200/4300H. The thing is, HDAM, AL32, DDSC etc., what audible do they make? Nothing right? If they do, you (not you), then you are firmly in the golden ears group, and believe all amps sound different regardless..:)

At the end of the day, Price point, reliability track record, features, look, specs and bench test data are far more real, at least objective, except the "look" part obviously.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually when I mentioned X3000 series I meant the current X3200W and newer, i.e. anything that meets HDCP2.2, basically anything older would be too old to mention, they probably won't even do 4K, let alone Atmos etc.....:D:D Similarly, for the SR6011 and older, in fact the SR6010/6011 doesn't even have the 32 bit AK4458.. not that it would make any difference as the 24 bit PCM1690 is quite decent, but it's a criteria that made the 6010/6011 clearly one notch below the X4200/4300H. The thing is, HDAM, AL32, DDSC etc., what audible do they make? Nothing right? If they do, you (not you), then you are firmly in the golden ears group, and believe all amps sound different regardless..:)

At the end of the day, Price point, reliability track record, features, look, specs and bench test data are far more real, at least objective, except the "look" part obviously.
Yeah ... just in case someone buying used gear and needed preouts ? ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys, is there any reason you can think of to buy a denon x4400 over the 6012? I have an external amp for my mains and I believe the 6012 has full pre-outs if I need more power. A4L has one for 699, and I feel like I’d be stupid to let it go.
What’d ya think? Pleas be nice, I’m a new guy....
Hey I'll be as nice to you new guy as someone was too me when I was a new guy about myTEENIE WEENIE.TV! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis