William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Buying a refurb is of course somewhat a risk. I had two bad refurbed Denons before I bought the same model new....was getting tired of dismantling and putting my older avr in (and stole that from the bedroom so stuck an older unit in there so each time was a bit of teardown/setup work). I've bought a variety of other refurb electronics tho without issue. A4L was fine in dealing with them as they both failed fairly quickly, one nearly immediately, the other just over 30 days in (and A4L even went a bit out of their normal terms on that one). The savings can be quite significant, so worth some risk.

William might check your credit card terms, you might get an extra year of warranty coverage even on refurbs....mine does that.
I’ll definitely check my CC. Both are very good and I wouldn’t be surprised if they offered something. I am a little nervous but I know people that have purchased from A4L, including you, and I’ve been impressed with their service. the big problem is how I negotiated this whole thing with my wife and our disposable income. Believe it or not, I’m really liking the Marantz. The full preouts have my attention. Especially since I’ve wanted to add another p2500 or 3500. Idk, I kinda have analysis paralysis currently. Probably should go to bed...lol

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you don’t cut the Sheetrock too deep the plastic should remain intact. Just push it up outta the way. If you do happen to cut through, just take some fiberglass batting that’s bigger than the hole, and push it up into the hole. It will push the blow in out of the way and remain as a cover for the speakers.
Yay!
Ya I am unsure if there is plastic but I’ll check. I’m pretty sure there isn’t from my bathroom fan install...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya I am unsure if there is plastic but I’ll check. I’m pretty sure there isn’t from my bathroom fan install...
Then I’d try the fiberglass batting trick. Iirc there’s a video from the in wall speaker store owner. Looks pretty good. Hope you can get to it soon. It’s currently 14°F here and I’m damn glad that job is DONE!!!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Then I’d try the fiberglass batting trick. Iirc there’s a video from the in wall speaker store owner. Looks pretty good. Hope you can get to it soon. It’s currently 14°F here and I’m damn glad that job is DONE!!!
Ya I’ll check that out. Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I had two bad refurbed Denons before
I knew I wasn’t the only one who had bad refurbished Denon.

If you buy a refurb Denon or Marantz, better hope nothing serious like “low volume” or “no volume” was the problem and was sent to the NJ factory.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ya I’m unsure if my RSLs can be right against my attic blown-in insulation or if I need some kind of tent situation out of pieces of rolled insulation. Or something else? I’ll be searching YouTube. :)
My ceiling speakers were installed on foam insulation. Pain in the butts cutting through that foam.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi guys. I’d like to thank everyone for their input. All you guys have valuable insight that enjoy.
@PENG, I appreciated your depth of thought in response and conversation. Just wanted to say I picked the beautiful Marantz.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi guys. I’d like to thank everyone for their input. All you guys have valuable insight that enjoy.
@PENG, I appreciated your depth of thought in response and conversation. Just wanted to say I picked the beautiful Marantz.

Thanks guys.
It makes it easy to just go by the look.:D Congrats!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It makes it easy to just go by the look.:D Congrats!
Thanks @PENG. I know many people dislike the porthole, but I’ve always liked the look of marantz receivers. Another thing was the pre-outs believe it or not. Anyway, I’m super excited.

S

StinkyPete

Audiophyte
Denon X4500 or Marantz SR6012
Hello

I know that these two models may not be comparable.

Denon X4500 (1160 USD) and
Marantz SR6012 (908 USD)

The main differences in features I can see:

Denon
- Auro 3d
- 125 W 8 ohm
- Imax enhanced
- AL32 Processing
- DDSC HD32

Marantz:
- HDAM
- 110 W 8 ohm
- Current feedback (Marantz circuitry)

Both models have AKM AK4458 32-bit D/A converters.

My question is, is the Denon worth 250 USD more than the Marantz?

I have a power amp to run my front speakers (Klipsch RF-83) so power is not an issue.

Appreciate some input

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks guys.
Well... How are you liking it? ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Denon X4500 or Marantz SR6012
Hello

I know that these two models may not be comparable.

Denon X4500 (1160 USD) and
Marantz SR6012 (908 USD)

The main differences in features I can see:

Denon
- Auro 3d
- 125 W 8 ohm
- Imax enhanced
- AL32 Processing
- DDSC HD32

Marantz:
- HDAM
- 110 W 8 ohm

I have a power amp to run my front speakers (Klipsch RF-83) so power is not an issue.

Appreciate some input
That Denon is more on par with the 7013, IIRC (maybe 6013). General gist is you might get a little more bang for the buck with Denon than Marantz... slightly more robust amp and a little less gadgetry... unless you need the analog inputs, for example.
I'm on an SR6012, myself. I'm happy with it. Likewise, if you don't think you need the Imax, look and see if you can find the 4400 (last years model like the 6012 vs 6013 or 7012/7013).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well... How are you liking it? ;)
Hey man, thanks for asking.
Funny story.( it like haha funny lol). I missed the delivery on Thursday by 9 minutes so I had the tortuous wait until Friday, for which I did NOT have the day off. Then after wiring and installing I manually entered everything and leveled it using my spl meter with my wife and kids banging around the living room. So basically, I think I love it. Lol. I watched a few episodes of csi and one random song on Spotify. Soooo, I guess I haven’t much to report yet. However tonight I should be able to take a better run at it. So far so good, and it does look great. My buddy said it was ugly, I laughed. The design is polarizing but most things that are of interest tend to be that way.
You run Audyssey yet?

S

StinkyPete

Audiophyte
That Denon is more on par with the 7013, IIRC (maybe 6013). General gist is you might get a little more bang for the buck with Denon than Marantz... slightly more robust amp and a little less gadgetry... unless you need the analog inputs, for example.
I'm on an SR6012, myself. I'm happy with it. Likewise, if you don't think you need the Imax, look and see if you can find the 4400 (last years model like the 6012 vs 6013 or 7012/7013).
Do you think that the Denon is worth 250 more than the Marantz? considering I don't need more power because of the power amp on my front speakers.
I hear the Marantz's are overheating?
I dont need analog inputs, nobody knows exactly what Imax enhanced does, so, for now, I don't need it.
The SR6012 is the 2017 model and the Denon is 2018... what to go with...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey man, thanks for asking.
Funny story.( it like haha funny lol). I missed the delivery on Thursday by 9 minutes so I had the tortuous wait until Friday, for which I did NOT have the day off. Then after wiring and installing I manually entered everything and leveled it using my spl meter with my wife and kids banging around the living room. So basically, I think I love it. Lol. I watched a few episodes of csi and one random song on Spotify. Soooo, I guess I haven’t much to report yet. However tonight I should be able to take a better run at it. So far so good, and it does look great. My buddy said it was ugly, I laughed. The design is polarizing but most things that are of interest tend to be that way.
You run Audyssey yet?
I did. It actually sounds good! I've randomly bounced back and forth between pure and Audyssey, and find myself preferring the Audyssey mods.
It put an extra foot on my mains, doubled distance to my subs, but put the surrounds and rears almost spot on. From the Distance/delay perspective, things sound tighter. It also looks like it fixed a peak @ 2KHz... which is that "lively, bright" sound I had commented on... I tweaked the curve a bit thinking it took a little too much off that range, but so far... I give it half thumbs up.
I also finished playing with my speaker stand modifications, and got my subwoofer pads finished since running it... gonna do another run this weekend just to see if my room changes affect the way audyssey reads the situation.
All that said, my thought is I might be able to do with some front wall absorption (not much) and maybe a little diffusion on the back.
Cheers!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do you think that the Denon is worth 250 more than the Marantz? considering I don't need more power because of the power amp on my front speakers.
I hear the Marantz's are overheating?
I dont need analog inputs, nobody knows exactly what Imax enhanced does, so, for now, I don't need it.
The SR6012 is the 2017 model and the Denon is 2018... what to go with...
Like I said, look at last years Denon. ;)

And yes, I've heard that the Marantzs can run hot... don't know about overheating... But I have an AC Infinity... highly recommend it. I think its the T series I have, available in front, top or rear venting depending on your circumstances. I have the front cos it used to be in a cabinet... only option. Given the opportunity, I will replace it with a rear vent.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That is not entirely correct, Denon and Marantz has virtually identical amplifier circuit except Marantz has the HDAM module that is an extra buffer stage at the output of the preamp. It does not mean it improves sound quality, but it's there.

Sorry, wrong again! Be careful what you read on the internet. The Denon AVR-4520 does not have the AK4458 DAC, it has the PCM1795 that is a higher end DAC only found in the Marantz prepro AV8801.

Not if you want Atmos, but you want Auro 3D then you need to go with the Marantz SR7012 or 7013, or the Denon AVR-X4400H.

In that case, I would go with the SR6012, but again if you want Auro 3D then you need to go up one notch to the SR7012.

Some people like the Marantz look, and the port hole. Other than that, the Denon AVR-X4400H is a much better value than the SR6012, because it is a semi twin of the SR7012 less the HDAM and the useless (to probably >90% users) 7.1 analog inputs.

S

StinkyPete

Audiophyte

And yes, I've heard that the Marantzs can run hot... don't know about overheating... But I have an AC Infinity... highly recommend it. I think its the T series I have, available in front, top or rear venting depending on your circumstances. I have the front cos it used to be in a cabinet... only option. Given the opportunity, I will replace it with a rear vent.
Okay, I dont have that option, older models get taken off the market here in Europe and only a few is available. That is why I am in search of which one to get. I want the most bang for the buck. And to justify the extra 250 USD the Denon costs. Witch one is best considering price?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I did. It actually sounds good! I've randomly bounced back and forth between pure and Audyssey, and find myself preferring the Audyssey mods.
It put an extra foot on my mains, doubled distance to my subs, but put the surrounds and rears almost spot on. From the Distance/delay perspective, things sound tighter. It also looks like it fixed a peak @ 2KHz... which is that "lively, bright" sound I had commented on... I tweaked the curve a bit thinking it took a little too much off that range, but so far... I give it half thumbs up.
I also finished playing with my speaker stand modifications, and got my subwoofer pads finished since running it... gonna do another run this weekend just to see if my room changes affect the way audyssey reads the situation.
All that said, my thought is I might be able to do with some front wall absorption (not much) and maybe a little diffusion on the back.
Cheers!
Nice work. I’m curious about this version of Audyssey with xt32. The setup wizard is really well done so I’m curious about walking through Audyssey.
I’m silently going crazy waiting to get som QT with my system. I’ve got stacks of movies and stuff in my dvr just waiting! Not to mention all my music...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Ac infinity looks excellent. Have one on my list.

Also in the 4 hours that mine was on last night. It did get pretty warm. Warmer than my old Onkyo but nowhere near as hot as my pioneer. That thing actually seems dangerous to me as hot as it gets.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis