William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey guys, is there any reason you can think of to buy a denon x4400 over the 6012? I have an external amp for my mains and I believe the 6012 has full pre-outs if I need more power. A4L has one for 699, and I feel like I’d be stupid to let it go.
What’d ya think? Pleas be nice, I’m a new guy....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What’d ya think? Pleas be nice, I’m a new guy....
Ummm... ;)

I like my SR6012. It sounded good when it was acting up. Best I can tell its fixed, and still sounds good! :)

Is this for your main room? I'm amping my mains and letting the AVR handle the Rears and Atmos (when I get that set up... but ya, full pre-outs.

Other than the argument that gets made frequently about the Denon having less gadgetry and a touch more power in the amp...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ummm... ;)

I like my SR6012. It sounded good when it was acting up. Best I can tell its fixed, and still sounds good! :)

Is this for your main room? I'm amping my mains and letting the AVR handle the Rears and Atmos (when I get that set up... but ya, full pre-outs.

Other than the argument that gets made frequently about the Denon having less gadgetry and a touch more power in the amp...
Thanks brother. Kinda my thoughts too. My old Onkyo never ran out of power and benched about as good as I’ve seen. Just effortless. Since the 6012 has full outs..... I feel like I already know the answer!
Yes main room. 7.3.4.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was silly when I bought mine... not in the way where I now have buyer's remorse... except for the near-lemon, that is.
But I had always 'known' Marantz to be a really good company that was expensive and sounded amazing. When I realized I could actually attain one, I was stoked, and thus budgeted for the SR5012. That was it... my ticket to the big leagues! :rolleyes: Then the mark-downs started back in Summer, and I could get the 6012 for 899. And it was on.
The reviews I read didn't give me any reason to not do it.
Knowing what I know now, I might have been better served by the Denon considering I'm not the user who is taking advantage of, or even needs, the differences between them.
My main curiosity now is Anthem. More expensive, but people really seem to like their room correction. I'm not looking to trade up, please don't misunderstand, just in that situation where I realize I didn't actually do all my normal research because I 'knew' Marantz meant 'quality.'
In the future, if I can afford it when upgrade time arrives, I might consider separates. But the word on the new Yammies is kinda nice and I might be willing to overcome my bias against them if they continue on that path. Nothing major against Onkyo, either... just the old HTIB that I'm still running from.
Cheers!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
IIRC the 4400 has a slightly superior DAC chip if that matters to you otherwise I think they're pretty similar....but what's with calling yourself a "new guy" around here? LOL

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
IIRC the 4400 has a slightly superior DAC chip if that matters to you otherwise I think they're pretty similar....but what's with calling yourself a "new guy" around here? LOL
Ya @ryanosaur is a “Confirmed Audioholic” at this point.... LOL :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lmao! I guess I was just being cheeky. Seems like I’m usually answering questions and not asking them.
Im not sure I’m gonna need a “better” DAC(if that’s really a thing lol). I do use my airport express to stream almost everything, and if I’m streaming natively in the Marantz, afaik it won’t matter.
I guess I feel like if I “need” more amps then I’ll deal with that then but my Yamaha amp handles my mains with ease so... the 6012 literature also says it’s good for 4omh loads so I’m pretty sure all of my surround speakers will be handled easily. I’ve had my eye on the 4400 all along but A4l has the 6012 for 700 bucks, and that extra money could go to a uhd player to get more atmos tracks(stupid industry leeches) since many regular blu rays now have dtsmdma only.
Aww, shucks. *blushes
You earned it!!! Lol

@PENG haven’t forgot.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks brother. Kinda my thoughts too. My old Onkyo never ran out of power and benched about as good as I’ve seen. Just effortless. Since the 6012 has full outs..... I feel like I already know the answer!
Yes main room. 7.3.4.
Nice! Ya I would go for it. A4L is in Florida so get that thing shipping. I bought speakers from them and it was an easy transaction except shipping all the way to Seattle from Florida took a bit :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'll be the killjoy and say No way I'm buying a refurbished Denon or Marantz AVR.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well the 4400 is only $200 more at $899. I wonder if all those sellers on Amazon charge sales tax? Maybe one or 2 don’t?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve had my eye on the 4400 all along but A4l has the 6012 for 700 bucks, and that extra money could go to a uhd player to get more atmos tracks(stupid industry leeches) since many regular blu rays now have dtsmdma only.

You earned it!!! Lol

@PENG haven’t forgot.
So the brand new X4400H with full warranty costs $200 more and you get the following extra:

- More power output, but that's marginal and means nothing especially if external amps are used.
- Lower THD specs, like the SR7012/8012, it is 0.05%, vs 0.08%, that's on paper, makes no audible difference.
- Auro 3D (Marantz charge $199 for this upgrade for the SR7011, not available for the SR6011/SR6012).
- One additional zone.
- One additional dc output.
- Better remote, looks the same as the SR7012's.

Whether all of the above, plus a full 3 year factory warranty, less the 7.1 analog inputs and HDAMs mean it is worth the extra $200, only you know..

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh wow, ya @William Lemmerhirt is not new. LOL :)

Looks like his Atmos wait is almost over! :). I gotta get my ceiling speakers installed soon. :)
Yeah. Ya kinda do! Lol
At least they’re in your house though. My speakers have been installed since September, but this AVR is killing me. Negotiated this deal a year ago...damn...
I can see the finish line though.
Thanks for cheering me on lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'll be the killjoy and say No way I'm buying a refurbished Denon or Marantz AVR.
Lol. I knew you would. I was expecting that, but damn, it took you until post #12. Musta been busy going through your watch list lol.
I’ve built refurbished electronics in my business, and purchased many other ones. Never had any problems, thankfully. I can definitely see your reservations, and I appreciate your input always.
Really, post 12? Jk
There was a time in my life that I wouldn’t have even blinked at buying a brand spankin new 4400/7012(sorry, I’ve got a thing with Yamaha), but my life is different now.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah. Ya kinda do! Lol
At least they’re in your house though. My speakers have been installed since September, but this AVR is killing me. Negotiated this deal a year ago...damn...
I can see the finish line though.
Thanks for cheering me on lol.
Ya I’m unsure if my RSLs can be right against my attic blown-in insulation or if I need some kind of tent situation out of pieces of rolled insulation. Or something else? I’ll be searching YouTube. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Buying a refurb is of course somewhat a risk. I had two bad refurbed Denons before I bought the same model new....was getting tired of dismantling and putting my older avr in (and stole that from the bedroom so stuck an older unit in there so each time was a bit of teardown/setup work). I've bought a variety of other refurb electronics tho without issue. A4L was fine in dealing with them as they both failed fairly quickly, one nearly immediately, the other just over 30 days in (and A4L even went a bit out of their normal terms on that one). The savings can be quite significant, so worth some risk.

William might check your credit card terms, you might get an extra year of warranty coverage even on refurbs....mine does that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya I’m unsure if my RSLs can be right against my attic blown-in insulation or if I need some kind of tent situation out of pieces of rolled insulation. Or something else? I’ll be searching YouTube. :)
If you don’t cut the Sheetrock too deep the plastic should remain intact. Just push it up outta the way. If you do happen to cut through, just take some fiberglass batting that’s bigger than the hole, and push it up into the hole. It will push the blow in out of the way and remain as a cover for the speakers.
Yay!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis