Marantz SA-10 SACD/CD Player/DAC and PM-10 Integrated Amplifier Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi-Fi company Marantz released information on their new audio products in preparation for the January 2017 Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas, Nevada. Their Premium 10 series is their most advanced Hi-Fi combination to date and includes the SA-10 SACD/CD player/DAC and PM-10 fully balanced Integrated Amplifier. This duo features Marantz’ renowned audio technologies designed to deliver great sound from high-resolution audio formats and CDs alike.

So if you’re in the market for a great new SACD/CD player and integrated amplifier pair, the Marantz SA and PM-10 might be right for you. Read on to find out more.

Read: Marantz SA-10 SACD/CD Player/DAC and PM-10 Integrated Amplifier Preview

M

MandM

Junior Audioholic
That's a lot of chokes in one box.o_O Is this overkill or justifiable considering the price?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a 17 year old Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/Stereo SACD Player that I suspect would sound the same as this new Marantz Player. If I wanted something I could actually perceive as being better today, I'd get a universal player, like the OPPO 105 or 203 which can play multi-channel SACDs. Those players are about 70 to 90 percent less cost for more performance as I see it, that's to say, the ability to play multi-channel SACD.

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
I agree with Sterling Shoote SACD sounds best in surround sound, would not waste my money on the these two overpriced over engineered components SA-10, PM10 Class D

X

xandrellas

Audiophyte
Any commentaries on the integrated amplifier? Would love to audition them but acquisition would be tricky

J

jusbe

Audiophyte
I agree with Sterling Shoote SACD sounds best in surround sound, would not waste my money on the these two overpriced over engineered components SA-10, PM10 Class D
What nonsense! These are some of the best items around in their class. Moreover, SACD sounds great in stereo as well as surround - it's simply silly and illogical to state that the encoding method is better experienced with more than one channel as a function of its design. It's either good, or it's not.

I have the PM-10 and it's not going anywhere (I come from a background of high end triodes and tube amps). Will be getting the SA-10 shortly too, as it's vastly superior to much out there - including the Sony XA5400ES. ;)

S

sterling shoote

What nonsense! These are some of the best items around in their class. Moreover, SACD sounds great in stereo as well as surround - it's simply silly and illogical to state that the encoding method is better experienced with more than one channel as a function of its design. It's either good, or it's not.

I have the PM-10 and it's not going anywhere (I come from a background of high end triodes and tube amps). Will be getting the SA-10 shortly too, as it's vastly superior to much out there - including the Sony XA5400ES. ;)
Nonsense could describe spending a lot of money for a stereo only SACD Player. After experiencing multi-channel SACD, listening to stereo SACD is like drinking a Coke gone flat, no fizz. But, please, don't begin a post with the word "nonsense" as it demeans the poster who has other ideas on it all. It's not at all persuasive; and, it alienates and thwarts cordial conversation with those who are here to share ideas on it all, not engage in adolescent banter.

J

jusbe

Audiophyte
Not seeking to persuade the poster of anything. Merely present another point of view.

Frankly, telling people that spending money on something that poster doesn't like is a "waste of money" is just as offensive. And you repeating that you find a choice alternate to your own to be a nonsense equally so. What ideas have been shared? That you don't like the player? Who's illuminated by that?

Presumably anything not multi-channel is a poor second for you. That the vast majority of audiophilia is in stereo must truly grate then. All of us chumps listening to inferior systems and DSD. I rest assured that the intended buyer of such a deck will take into account the many sources of critical praise for it and see criticism of functions it doesn't support for the straw-man argument it is.

J

John (David)

Audiophyte
I am looking for a really good disk player, but there is not much verifiable information on the SA-10 here. Nobody has listened to it first hand.

S

sterling shoote

I am looking for a really good disk player, but there is not much verifiable information on the SA-10 here. Nobody has listened to it first hand.
I have 3 SACD Players, Sony DVP-S9000ES, OPPO-205, and a Sony UBP-X800Mk2. The most satisfying of these for stereo pleasure is the least expensive unit, the Sony UBP-X800Mk2, even adding the cost of a Marantz NR1200 2.1 Receiver which is used in preamp/DAC role to decode the Sony's stereo DSD output. At any rate, I have no experience with the SA-10. Maybe it would please you, maybe not, thus you might want to listen for yourself before buying or buy from a seller who will accept returns. Buying on a contributor's recommendation here will get you a product that someone else likes for sure, but for you, who knows. One more thing, the SA-10 is stereo only, so no multi-channel SACD play is possible from the unit. This means if multi-channel is important to you the only new player out there today which will accommodate is the Sony UBP-X800Mk2. This player has no internal DAC, instead it connects to an external DSD DAC via HDMI connection. My unit is connected to the aforementioned 2.1 Marantz NR1200's DSD DAC, which delivers a very lifelike sound. In fact, I can't imagine better sound.

Last edited:
J

John (David)

Audiophyte
Thanks Sterling for taking the time for the great info. I'll check into these. Who knows how long it will take, 'cause it seems I research things to death. Just thinking about making a giant leap into the big time and finding that "Live Sound".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis