Marantz AVR dropping signal

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi All,

Just, literally-just, got my receiver back from service. It's not even 3 months old. hoping I'll have the time tomorrow to plug it all back in and put it through some warm up exercises. But til then, wanted to get the ball rolling on finding out if anybody else has had similar issues and some possible fixes.

Marantz SR6012:

Problem first showed up as I was streaming over wifi, combined network using 1 Airport Extreme Base Station, and 1 Airport Express set to extend the network. Never happened prior to the Marantz. Basically, while streaming Pandora or Apple Music, the signal would just cut out for 3-5 seconds. Almost as if a relay were switching. Signal strength is strong. After a bit, I asked Marantz CS about it, and they suggested I set up a dedicated 2.4gHz network. Researched it, figured it out, got it set up. Problem persisted.
Decided at the beginning of October to try using my old school iPod (with the clicker wheel, not those new-fangled touchy ones). Connencted line direct through the Aux1 RCA jacks... and same thing: random signal drop, 3-5 seconds, 1-3 times per an album.
While at the shop, the tech reported that she found nothing wrong and could not replicate my complaint.

Thus my question.

Anybody else out there have this happen, know what might be up, and/or have some advice on how I might solve my dilemma?

Oh, I am going to be connecting LAN direct with new cat6a cable instead of going wifi... the Marantz is only ~10yds from the Airport Express, direct line of sight, which in turn is only ~10yds, direct line of sight from the Base Station. (Chose to use the Express to extend network signal for better reception throughout the house.) That said, there is no evidence that this is network related, rather everything points to the AVR. *shrugs

Thank you in advance!

Best,
R

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Always hardwire unless impossible. Too many variables without.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi All,

Just, literally-just, got my receiver back from service. It's not even 3 months old. hoping I'll have the time tomorrow to plug it all back in and put it through some warm up exercises. But til then, wanted to get the ball rolling on finding out if anybody else has had similar issues and some possible fixes.

Marantz SR6012:

Problem first showed up as I was streaming over wifi, combined network using 1 Airport Extreme Base Station, and 1 Airport Express set to extend the network. Never happened prior to the Marantz. Basically, while streaming Pandora or Apple Music, the signal would just cut out for 3-5 seconds. Almost as if a relay were switching. Signal strength is strong. After a bit, I asked Marantz CS about it, and they suggested I set up a dedicated 2.4gHz network. Researched it, figured it out, got it set up. Problem persisted.
Decided at the beginning of October to try using my old school iPod (with the clicker wheel, not those new-fangled touchy ones). Connencted line direct through the Aux1 RCA jacks... and same thing: random signal drop, 3-5 seconds, 1-3 times per an album.
While at the shop, the tech reported that she found nothing wrong and could not replicate my complaint.

Thus my question.

Anybody else out there have this happen, know what might be up, and/or have some advice on how I might solve my dilemma?

Oh, I am going to be connecting LAN direct with new cat6a cable instead of going wifi... the Marantz is only ~10yds from the Airport Express, direct line of sight, which in turn is only ~10yds, direct line of sight from the Base Station. (Chose to use the Express to extend network signal for better reception throughout the house.) That said, there is no evidence that this is network related, rather everything points to the AVR. *shrugs

Thank you in advance!

Best,
R
You don't need Cat6, use Cat5e. Second, Apple network equipment is OK for surfing the web, but not for media streaming and they told me that Apple doesn't recommend, nor support more than two of their network devices in one network. Also, AirPort devices don't support PnP.

Hard wire the AVR to the router and see if it works. DO NOT use an AirPort Express as a wireless repeater. If you use one of those, hard wire it to the Extreme and set the Express to Create a Network & disable NAT and DHCP. Just use it as an access point.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
With the demise of the Airports, I expect to be upgrading when the new wifi protocols are released next year. Just not worth it to replace before then. Regardless, the fact that the problem occurred while using my iPod plugged line direct into the Aux1 RCA's is the most telling thing. I'm 95% certain I have the device set up properly, and the tech looked at my settings and didn't see anything that concerned her.

So regardless of streaming, what could be the underlying cause of signal drop when plugging a confirmed working source into the analog ports of the AVR?

(FWIW, I do know what network drop out sounds like, and when streaming, it didn't sound like that. ;) More like a relay switching is the best I can describe it. It is very consistent from occurrence to occurrence, network and line direct alike.)

highfigh

highfigh

I know its more than I technically need, but the price wasn't crazy or anything. Is there another reason not use cat6a for this?
It's not necessary. Cat5e will do Gigabit for over 100' and Cat5e RJ45 ends don't fit Cat6 correctly because the wire ga is larger.

highfigh

highfigh

With the demise of the Airports, I expect to be upgrading when the new wifi protocols are released next year. Just not worth it to replace before then. Regardless, the fact that the problem occurred while using my iPod plugged line direct into the Aux1 RCA's is the most telling thing. I'm 95% certain I have the device set up properly, and the tech looked at my settings and didn't see anything that concerned her.

So regardless of streaming, what could be the underlying cause of signal drop when plugging a confirmed working source into the analog ports of the AVR?

(FWIW, I do know what network drop out sounds like, and when streaming, it didn't sound like that. ;) More like a relay switching is the best I can describe it. It is very consistent from occurrence to occurrence, network and line direct alike.)
Personally, I would avoid being on the bleeding edge of network technology- go with what is known to work. It's cheaper and the bugs have been squashed.

If the sound cut out when the iPod was plugged into the Marantz, why are you saying the Marantz has network issues? I would be looking at the location of the router (it's not at one end of the house, in a corner, is it?) vs the location of the iPod (it's not at the other end of the house with a lot of walls and a big fridge between it and the router or an access point, is it?

The first thing to remember is that one repeater cuts network speed by half, if you're lucky. Do a WiFi speed test from the iPod's location and see what you're working with- load the Fing app onto a phone for this.

Why aren't you using Airplay, Bluetooth or HEOS with this AVR? It does all three and unless your iPod is too old, it should, too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's not necessary. Cat5e will do Gigabit for over 100' and Cat5e RJ45 ends don't fit Cat6 correctly because the wire ga is larger.
u just broke my brain, highfigh. my understanding was all ethernets were backwards compatible and that i would just be providing better plumbing for the signal. getting ready for work now. will follow up later. cheers

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My apologies if I miscommunicated something:
The problem first showed while streaming only. It persisted after switching to the 2.4gHz only network. After which I plugged in the ipod, line direct, using a 1/8"-RCA stereo cord, 3'long. Because the problem persisted still, I contacted Marantz about it. Which led to the service call from which I just received it back with the report that nothing shows up as being amiss. I do not think it is a network issue. The behavior of the signal drop (sound and duration) is the same over wifi and line direct with the ipod.
(Regarding router location, main router is center of house in a room, extender is in center of house in greatroom, line of sight to the base.)
(The iPod is not network capable. It is the last generation with the wheel. The problem also will happen if streaming from my iPhone, or going line direct from my iPhone, regardless of application being used.)
Hope this helps clarify.
Again my thanks for any and all assistance!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I would avoid being on the bleeding edge of network technology- go with what is known to work. It's cheaper and the bugs have been squashed.
I'm not ordinarily an early adopter, and depending on when it is released, I will usually wait a few-6 extra mos for bugs to get cleaned out. ;)

highfigh

highfigh

My apologies if I miscommunicated something:
The problem first showed while streaming only. It persisted after switching to the 2.4gHz only network. After which I plugged in the ipod, line direct, using a 1/8"-RCA stereo cord, 3'long. Because the problem persisted still, I contacted Marantz about it. Which led to the service call from which I just received it back with the report that nothing shows up as being amiss. I do not think it is a network issue. The behavior of the signal drop (sound and duration) is the same over wifi and line direct with the ipod.
(Regarding router location, main router is center of house in a room, extender is in center of house in greatroom, line of sight to the base.)
(The iPod is not network capable. It is the last generation with the wheel. The problem also will happen if streaming from my iPhone, or going line direct from my iPhone, regardless of application being used.)
Hope this helps clarify.
Again my thanks for any and all assistance!
An iPod that's not network capable? Really? Yecchhh!

Are you streaming music that's stored in the phone, or using it to stream another music service?

And the Marantz streaming doesn't work, either?

How far apart are the Express and Extreme? Are the SSIDs the same?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't get this behaviour when using hdmi/optical inputs? How about other analog devices/inputs? Maybe the shipping "fixed" it when arriving at the service center or they didn't try analog?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Something is wrong...
We have used multiple Airport Extreme and Express systems with great results. Especially the latest Airport Extreme is capable of incredible RF output, its smart directional power works well. Also we have used Extremes as well for access points. Sounds like a configuration problem within the Marantz AVR..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'll be hooking it back up later today...

I did not have streaming problems prior to the Marantz, and again, it' behavior is such that I do not think it is the network signal, but rather a relay switch inside. The analog ports should be the most bulletproof way to plug in as I understand. I've heard from Marantz CS and the tech that the HDMIs can act up and not communicate signals properly if not set up right. The tech looked at my settings and said everything looked in order.
An iPod that's not network capable? Really? Yecchhh!
Yup! :) But it works!
Are you streaming music that's stored in the phone, or using it to stream another music service?
Problem is the same as described regardles of streaming through the phone, from the phone, or plugging in like the iPod.
How far apart are the Express and Extreme? Are the SSIDs the same?
Extreme in a room, center of house, express is 16' away direct line of site to the extreme, and is open to the full house with almost no walls to concern itself with. Network SSIDs are different (2.4 vs.5) but as the express is just extending the networks, both use the same two SSIDs.
You don't get this behaviour when using hdmi/optical inputs?
No other source components to use right now. PS4 and ARC from the TV. (BlueRay player after I get my new speakers and Power Amp.) As a Chef in Wine Country, this is my busiest time of year... I haven't watched TV or played a game in about 3-4 months! Listening to an album here and there has been my only decompression.
Maybe the shipping "fixed" it when arriving at the service center or they didn't try analog?
Its like the Fonz and ALF had a love child, just hit it and it'll work! *high5!

FWIW, ran a speed test on network: 59.1Mbps download / 12.3 upload.

M Code: I agree, something isn't right, but since the tech couldn't replicate... *shrug What's a guy to do? Other than to hit up the Forum!

Thank you again, if anybody thinks of anything, I'd love to hear it! I'll follow up later when I'm juiced up! As Lovin' suggested: maybe FedEx fixed it as they hucked the box from Socal to Norcal. Poor thing took a beating!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'll be hooking it back up later today...

I did not have streaming problems prior to the Marantz, and again, it' behavior is such that I do not think it is the network signal, but rather a relay switch inside. The analog ports should be the most bulletproof way to plug in as I understand. I've heard from Marantz CS and the tech that the HDMIs can act up and not communicate signals properly if not set up right. The tech looked at my settings and said everything looked in order.

Yup! :) But it works!

Problem is the same as described regardles of streaming through the phone, from the phone, or plugging in like the iPod.

Extreme in a room, center of house, express is 16' away direct line of site to the extreme, and is open to the full house with almost no walls to concern itself with. Network SSIDs are different (2.4 vs.5) but as the express is just extending the networks, both use the same two SSIDs.

No other source components to use right now. PS4 and ARC from the TV. (BlueRay player after I get my new speakers and Power Amp.) As a Chef in Wine Country, this is my busiest time of year... I haven't watched TV or played a game in about 3-4 months! Listening to an album here and there has been my only decompression.

Its like the Fonz and ALF had a love child, just hit it and it'll work! *high5!

FWIW, ran a speed test on network: 59.1Mbps download / 12.3 upload.

M Code: I agree, something isn't right, but since the tech couldn't replicate... *shrug What's a guy to do? Other than to hit up the Forum!

Thank you again, if anybody thinks of anything, I'd love to hear it! I'll follow up later when I'm juiced up! As Lovin' suggested: maybe FedEx fixed it as they hucked the box from Socal to Norcal. Poor thing took a beating!
I don't think this is a network issue. I think that Marantz does not like your speakers. I think you a right, your receiver is disconnecting from the speakers to prevent melt down.

What are your speakers? New receivers have less robust amps then old receivers. I think we have done from poor to awful in that regard. I note that no 4 ohm rating is given in the spec. just 8 and 6 ohm. Most speakers now are 4 ohm or less no matter what the speaker manufacturer says. I would never buy or use an amp that did not have a four ohm spec.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think this is a network issue. I think that Marantz does not like your speakers. I think you a right, your receiver is disconnecting from the speakers to prevent melt down.

What are your speakers? New receivers have less robust amps then old receivers. I think we have done from poor to awful in that regard. I note that no 4 ohm rating is given in the spec. just 8 and 6 ohm. Most speakers now are 4 ohm or less no matter what the speaker manufacturer says. I would never buy or use an amp that did not have a four ohm spec.
Marantz claims 4 ohms is ok. but you are absolutely right, its not spec'd... but it is in the set up! ;) Also, I'm running a front venting AC Infinity on top of the Marantz, as it is in a cabinet... with about 8" on each side, so plenty of air.

Regardless: I've posted this previously on a different thread, but not here (though I did explain it to Marantz CS and the tech doing the warranty work):
Speakers are the old HTIB speakers from my previous Onkyo system. All speakers are rated as 8-ohm, 130w max input. Marantz SR6012 is rated as 110w @8-ohm, two channels driven. General consensus is that with all channels driven into 8-ohm, I'm probably seeing about 70w per channel. (The old amp was rated for 75w/ch.)

This did occur to me too, but the Tech said there was no indication of any safety mode triggers. Needless to say, very confused from my less experienced perspective. New speakers within a month unless something goes horribly awry! Can I get through?
Don't remember purchase date, but the Onkyo manual is copyright 2008, and the purchase coincided with my old PS3/Metal Gear Solid package!
(Yes, very long overdue for an upgrade!!!)

Please, more input?! :)

Best,
R

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz claims 4 ohms is ok. but you are absolutely right, its not spec'd... but it is in the set up! ;) Also, I'm running a front venting AC Infinity on top of the Marantz, as it is in a cabinet... with about 8" on each side, so plenty of air.

Regardless: I've posted this previously on a different thread, but not here (though I did explain it to Marantz CS and the tech doing the warranty work):
Speakers are the old HTIB speakers from my previous Onkyo system. All speakers are rated as 8-ohm, 130w max input. Marantz SR6012 is rated as 110w @8-ohm, two channels driven. General consensus is that with all channels driven into 8-ohm, I'm probably seeing about 70w per channel. (The old amp was rated for 75w/ch.)

This did occur to me too, but the Tech said there was no indication of any safety mode triggers. Needless to say, very confused from my less experienced perspective. New speakers within a month unless something goes horribly awry! Can I get through?
Don't remember purchase date, but the Onkyo manual is copyright 2008, and the purchase coincided with my old PS3/Metal Gear Solid package!

Best,
R
Outside of a defective unit or problem with wiring doesn't sound like speakers are the issue. I would keep checking input and type to see if any pattern there or if they're all doing this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Best,
R
Is this what yours looks like?

I have looked at a couple of Onkyo HTIBS of that vintage. Although they claim to be 8 ohm, by speaker layout and configuration they have to be 4 ohm or less. In fact HTIB speakers are notorious for being difficult loads.

In addition, they are low quality speakers, and may well have some drivers with shorted turns in the VCs from over driving or close to max. I would test all those speakers with an ohm meter to get the DC resistance. See if there is one or more with a lower DC resistance. That would not surprise me. That fault is not uncommon and a real amp buster.

Personally from what you are experiencing I would shut that rig down until you have better non HTIB speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis