Marantz AVR dropping signal

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone here used HEOS?

Open up the HEOS app and start streaming music directly from your phone to your Denon? If that's the case, then there's no need for AirPlay.

Cut out the middle man.

There is no way I'm ever using AirPlay when my Yamaha MusicCast works flawlessly 100% of the time to stream all my music on my Android phone to my Yamaha.

So if HEOS works the same way as MusicCast, then just forget about AirPlay. :D
Don't know how it works particularly. They probably keep airplay to keep iphone users happy. I just use dlna with my Denon, no problem. Wouldn't matter your internet speed as to what your network can handle, more about your router.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
too soon to tell yet. I'd agree with our HEOS conversation that just started here, except for that other issue of going in through the Analog Aux port with a non-streaming iPod and having the exact same thing happen with audius interuptus.

Ha, i'm pretty sure my cats' whiskers are more robust than the wire I replaced! ;)

Back to real work. If I crush this then maybe more audio work later. ;)

Continuous thanks to all helping!

ugh. too many smiley faces. sorry, but the rule of odd numbers dictates: ;) just one more. *shameless
Hope it was as simple as speaker wire that was due for replacement....good luck!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
would one faulty cable cause the whole system to cut like that? without triggering the internal safeties?
I would think it would be more like Peng said about tripping protection and needing a restart rather than a simple interruption....hard to know, maybe even too soon to tell.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng... You use a Denon AVR if I recall... do you also use the AVR2016 phone app? Or does Denon have their own? Either way, if our systems work even remotely alike, the "Relay Switch" cut-out I described earlier is the same as if I switch my speaker set-up through the app. If I click the music icon from the main control page, I then have "sound mode" options: movie, music, game, pure. When I go to this, the speakers cutout briefly... just by accessing it, not even changing anything, but then if I do change (say stereo to multi ch stereo mode) the speakers cut out again. This is the best way I can describe what's happening. There is no mechanical click, on my system whether I do it intentionally through the app, or when it would happen randomly during playback.

Regardless, one album streamed, no random cut out, only some issues while I was setting up for audio playback only. More testing to come.

Thanks all!
I have the Denon AVR-X4400H that replaced my Marantz AV8801. Each has their own phone app but I mainly use the Harmony. The "cut out" you are getting when changing modes between stereo, direct, pure direct, or other sound modes are obviously normal. As far as I can remember, every Denon or Marantz AVR/AVP behaved the same way. Those interruptions last about 2.5 seconds and there won't be mechanical clicks because there are no electro-mechanical relays involved. The switching are done electronically.

Regarding the interruptions you were getting randomly during playback, I understand behaved similarly to the normal sound mode switching, but it was definitely not normal. Again, if I understood right, the cut outs went away after you replaced the Ethernet cable the speaker wires.

Logically though, I highly doubt the Ethernet cable was the issue as explained in my previous post.

If I understood correctly, you have only replace one pair of speaker cables. The cut out you were getting was affecting all speakers, not just one right? So logically speaking, perhaps that old pair of speaker wires was shorting or opening intermittently causing the random interruptions, but they were not totally shorted or opened for a duration long enough to activate the AVR protection scheme.

I am happy for you that you can now focus on enjoying the music, but the root cause of the issue remains somewhat of a mystery. If you were within driving distance I would have volunteered to pay you a visit even if I have to pay for offering the service. :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
would one faulty cable cause the whole system to cut like that? without triggering the internal safeties?
I didn't see yours and HD's post but I did address this in my last post#66. I would say yes it is possible, but not very likely because it would be very difficult to explain why the interruptions lasted consistently for 3-5 seconds and then it would recover every time.

If the cut out duration were random, and sometimes wouldn't recover without being disturbed physically then I would say faulty cable, the fault being intermittent in nature such as partially shorted or opened, was probably the root cause. You can do a continuity check on that old cable, but you would need sometime to wiggle it to see if you can make the fault shows up.

I can tell you the fault must be of intermittent nature because if it is permanently open at one or more locations, you would have gotten sound at all times. It it was permanently shorted in one or more locations, the AVR's over current/short circuit protection system would have shut the unit down with a red flashing LED.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am happy for you that you can now focus on enjoying the music, but the root cause of the issue remains somewhat of a mystery. If you were within driving distance I would have volunteered to pay you a visit even if I have to pay for offering the service. :D
Ontario isn't that far away from Northern Cali! Galactically speaking, at least. :p

Verdict is still pending re: the final outcome. Lady is listening to TV over the ARC while i'm working. So at least she can report back if it happens through the HDMI chain (which I have not even really messed with since getting the AVR. CANNOT wait to get back into my PS4 games!

Back to the mines.

Again, I will follow up with any developments as I proceed through the testing recommendation you all helped me with.

Best!
R

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK... Sad face time.
Its happening again streaming airplay over the Ethernet Connection.
It did not cut out while the Lady was streaming Sling over wifi to the TV, which then transmitted audio back to the AVR over ARC.
She found something on Apple indicating it might be a network thing, so we are trying turning off DHCP and setting the Airport Extreme to Static.

More to come.

R

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OK... Sad face time.
Its happening again streaming airplay over the Ethernet Connection.
It did not cut out while the Lady was streaming Sling over wifi to the TV, which then transmitted audio back to the AVR over ARC.
She found something on Apple indicating it might be a network thing, so we are trying turning off DHCP and setting the Airport Extreme to Static.

More to come.

R
But an analog source/connection doesn't do it?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But an analog source/connection doesn't do it?
Hi Lovin,
working my way there. the Lady wanted to try this static thing... gotta keep her happy! plus she used to do qa before becoming a producer at ea. she solid! ;)
will follow up with additional info as i can.

thx and best to all!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Lovin,
working my way there. the Lady wanted to try this static thing... gotta keep her happy! plus she used to do qa before becoming a producer at ea. she solid! ;)
will follow up with additional info as i can.

thx and best to all!
Just more information about signal/input helps more. No rush. Good luck on the static address.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just for grins and giggles why not unplug Airport Express and turn it on again. Also go to Airport Express Utilities and re-download the update that came out last month. I mention this because my problem had same symptoms as yours fixed with doing what is stated. Also, be sure to set your computer to Windows Audio Session.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
All along I thought it was network related issue but was told he's getting it even using analog input and iPod as player that does not go through the networking devices. Now it comes full circle?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Haven't gotten to analog yet.
Strangely, or perhaps not, I had no interruption streaming from my library on hard drive, as opposed to streaming apple music over the internet (sound cut out 3-4 times within about half an album).
The lady lost her patience though, and I wont get to test another internet stream until tomorrow. Hopefully I can plug in the pod tomorrow too!
Cheers all!

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just for grins and giggles why not unplug Airport Express and turn it on again. Also go to Airport Express Utilities and re-download the update that came out last month. I mention this because my problem had same symptoms as yours fixed with doing what is stated. Also, be sure to set your computer to Windows Audio Session.
Where do I do that (windows audio session)? is it through iTunes? Somewhere else?
Thx!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Also, be sure to set your computer to Windows Audio Session
I just did a lot of searching and can't seem to find a way to switch my iTunes to WASAPI. Mind, my whole house is Apple: not a lick of any microsoft product to be found. Might the fact I'm on Apple products negate that ability?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Also go to Airport Express Utilities and re-download the update that came out last month.
Just short of completely resetting the device(s), neither Airport is giving me an option to re-download the firmware update. Airport Extreme is running 7.7.9, and Express is 7.8.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just did a lot of searching and can't seem to find a way to switch my iTunes to WASAPI. Mind, my whole house is Apple: not a lick of any microsoft product to be found. Might the fact I'm on Apple products negate that ability?
Yes, you do not need Airport Utilities or Windows Audio Session. Sorry, appears my suggestions will not be fruitful.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, you do not need Airport Utilities or Windows Audio Session. Sorry, appears my suggestions will not be fruitful.
Thanks for your suggestions, Sterling! If you think of anything else...

Troubleshooting this is a lot like when I built a PC many moons ago. ;) And now everything is Apple.

If I find it's Apple breaking my music, I'm driving to Cupertino and peeing on Tim Cook's hubcaps.:p (Na, there's better things I can do with my life than that.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis