Marantz AVR dropping signal

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi All,

Just, literally-just, got my receiver back from service. It's not even 3 months old. hoping I'll have the time tomorrow to plug it all back in and put it through some warm up exercises. But til then, wanted to get the ball rolling on finding out if anybody else has had similar issues and some possible fixes.

Marantz SR6012:

Problem first showed up as I was streaming over wifi, combined network using 1 Airport Extreme Base Station, and 1 Airport Express set to extend the network. Never happened prior to the Marantz. Basically, while streaming Pandora or Apple Music, the signal would just cut out for 3-5 seconds. Almost as if a relay were switching. Signal strength is strong. After a bit, I asked Marantz CS about it, and they suggested I set up a dedicated 2.4gHz network. Researched it, figured it out, got it set up. Problem persisted.
Decided at the beginning of October to try using my old school iPod (with the clicker wheel, not those new-fangled touchy ones). Connencted line direct through the Aux1 RCA jacks... and same thing: random signal drop, 3-5 seconds, 1-3 times per an album.
While at the shop, the tech reported that she found nothing wrong and could not replicate my complaint.

Thus my question.

Anybody else out there have this happen, know what might be up, and/or have some advice on how I might solve my dilemma?

Oh, I am going to be connecting LAN direct with new cat6a cable instead of going wifi... the Marantz is only ~10yds from the Airport Express, direct line of sight, which in turn is only ~10yds, direct line of sight from the Base Station. (Chose to use the Express to extend network signal for better reception throughout the house.) That said, there is no evidence that this is network related, rather everything points to the AVR. *shrugs

Thank you in advance!

Best,
R
I have had the problem you've alluded to. To get rid of it I set iTunes to windows audio session and disconnectd equalizer. This gives audio stream priority, and no drop outs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng: I'm not meaning to be daft. Had hoped I answered you clearly.
I wasn't suggesting that at all, just wondering and though maybe my questions weren't clear.

The Audio Signal I am referring to is what is "inside" the AVR.
Okay so finally I know you are talking about the "audio signal" in the signal path inside the AVR. The problem is, as I anticipated this scenario in my earlier post, how would you know it was in the signal path "inside", or within the AVR? You can only say that if you had already tried another AVR or something that can do that same thing, right? To be clear, why can't the signal be interrupted upstream of the input of the AVR?

I have seen no indication of speaker wire failure, nor speaker failure. The speakers, however, is where the symptom appears, as somwhere between the input and output, there is an interuption that occurs, affecting all channels simultaneaously. There is no audible clipping, hissing, popping, or other distortion sound through the speakers. Likewise, I do not recall any audible 'click,' as if a mechanical relay were tripping. I do know the sound from older gear I used to use a very long time ago.
I am 90% sure the speakers are not the issue here, because if they are, the "cut out" would have been permanent, until you reset the AVR, and the AVR will have red flashing light to indicate the protective circuit has tripped.

So I think the issue is the signal path between the source and the AVR. Now, if you can find out if the issue can be replicated using the following inputs at the AVR:

a) Ethernet hard wired or wifi streaming only, or
b) HDMI only, or
c) Analog input only, or
d) Optical/coaxial only, or

all of the above, or a combinations of the above, then we can really narrow things down. Also, sorry if I missed it from your earlier posts, are you getting the same 3-5 seconds "cut out"/interrupt regardless of the sources e.g. CD, DVD, BDP, Sat/fibre TV etc., or only when streaming using devices such as Roku, Apple TV?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have had the problem you've alluded to. To get rid of it I set iTunes to windows audio session and disconnectd equalizer. This gives audio stream priority, and no drop outs.
Thank you, and noted, but this has been happening also while going line-in to Aux1 from other sources. I will put this into my list of things to check as I slowly work through this. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wasn't suggesting that at all, just wondering and though maybe my questions weren't clear.

Okay so finally I know you are talking about the "audio signal" in the signal path inside the AVR. The problem is, as I anticipated this scenario in my earlier post, how would you know it was in the signal path "inside", or within the AVR? You can only say that if you had already tried another AVR or something that can do that same thing, right? To be clear, why can't the signal be interrupted upstream of the input of the AVR?

I am 90% sure the speakers are not the issue here, because if they are, the "cut out" would have been permanent, until you reset the AVR, and the AVR will have red flashing light to indicate the protective circuit has tripped.

So I think the issue is the signal path between the source and the AVR. Now, if you can find out if the issue can be replicated using the following inputs at the AVR:

a) Ethernet hard wired or wifi streaming only, or
b) HDMI only, or
c) Analog input only, or
d) Optical/coaxial only, or

All of the above, or a combinations of the above, then we can really narrow things down.
He's already got a combo of wifi and analog inputs having the issue...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
He's already got a combo of wifi and analog inputs having the issue...
Yeah, I remember now, he did mention it much earlier on, but do you know what source/media player he was using though? I edited my post to add this question.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I remember now, he did mention it much earlier on, but do you know what source/media player he was using though? I edited my post to add this question.
Different sources, old iPod analog and a couple streaming apps from something else via wifi.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Different sources, old iPod analog and a couple streaming apps from something else via wifi.
Thanks again, but what's the source for the iPod, are we still talking streaming? You know what I am getting at right? That I strong suspect is with streaming, because that's when you can get the stuttering effects, that you likely won't get if the iPod is simply playing music files on board using iTune.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks again, but what's the source for the iPod, are we still talking streaming? You know what I am getting at right? That I strong suspect is with streaming, because that's when you can get the stuttering effects, that you likely won't get if the iPod is simply playing music files on board using iTune.
No, old iPod that had no such capability....he mentions that earlier in the thread. My only iPod was like that, just a simple analog source (unless you could use the usb thing with a particular avr but still no wifi access for source of content).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Last generation of classic iPod with the "clickerwheel"... not streaming.

Streaming has been over airplay on wifi, sometimes broadcasting from my phone

I have my ethernet cable and two older speaker wires replaced. Also moved some power cords away from the equipment.

All speakers checked out with test signal and thus far things seem to be working.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall

I have my ethernet cable and two older speaker wires replaced. Also moved some power cords away from the equipment.

All speakers checked out with test signal and thus far things seem to be working.
BTW, FYI Airport Express had an update about a month ago. I wonder if it downloaded properly to yours. Ya might want to check Airport Express Utility.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Thank you for the feed back, and congrats (hopefully not prematurely)!

Power cord away from the equipment may improve noise in general, but definitely has no effects on the stuttering behavior.

Ethernet cable and speaker wires are the two variables that might have solve the issue, more likely the speaker cable/connectors, because the Ethernet wire has nothing to do with the analog signal path, and you were having the same stuttering effects even with the old iPod using the AVRs analog inputs and NOT streaming right?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Set up time required a lot yesterday: a hole saw, a drill, an impact driver, a sawzall. :oops: The landlord won't mind that I modified his cabinets a little more, will he?

Re: speaker wire, I still had two wires that were dental-floss-AWG from the original Onkyo. As of now, everything is at least 16AWG, and my surrounds are connected with 14AWG. The 14s are now the oldest wire in the chain. All speaker wire is being replaced with brand new 12AWG when I set up the new kit.

Mostly trying to cut down on the flying spaghetti monster that crash landed behind the AVR. The protector is in a separate cabinet from the AVR and future home of the power amp. I know that wasn't the issue, as everything is pretty well shielded these days, but... the wires, my god, the wires.

The lady got home early yesterday and wanted to watch tv, so I had her on audio through the HDMI-ARC, no sign of dropout while she was watching yesterday. *fingerscrossed

I'm streaming some stuff now over the network.

Will check back in later :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, FYI Airport Express had an update about a month ago. I wonder if it downloaded properly to yours. Ya might want to check Airport Express Utility.
I keep those updated. Unlike iOS for my phone, I llove udating my network gear!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Peng... You use a Denon AVR if I recall... do you also use the AVR2016 phone app? Or does Denon have their own? Either way, if our systems work even remotely alike, the "Relay Switch" cut-out I described earlier is the same as if I switch my speaker set-up through the app. If I click the music icon from the main control page, I then have "sound mode" options: movie, music, game, pure. When I go to this, the speakers cutout briefly... just by accessing it, not even changing anything, but then if I do change (say stereo to multi ch stereo mode) the speakers cut out again. This is the best way I can describe what's happening. There is no mechanical click, on my system whether I do it intentionally through the app, or when it would happen randomly during playback.

Regardless, one album streamed, no random cut out, only some issues while I was setting up for audio playback only. More testing to come.

Thanks all!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I definitely hated AirPlay with my Denon's even with my AT&T 1,000 Mbps Internet. Songs would cut in and out and plenty of time it would just stop playing right in the middle of the songs.

So I don't think you're the only one with this problem.

Now I use MusicCast to stream music from my Phone to my Yamaha flawlessly 100% of the time. I don't even have to use AirPlay or anything else.

Denon need to make their own version of MusicCast.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

So you think this was an electric whisker in the speaker wire, is that correct? If so that is good news.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't that be HEOS?
Has anyone here used HEOS?

Open up the HEOS app and start streaming music directly from your phone to your Denon? If that's the case, then there's no need for AirPlay.

Cut out the middle man.

There is no way I'm ever using AirPlay when my Yamaha MusicCast works flawlessly 100% of the time to stream all my music on my Android phone to my Yamaha.

So if HEOS works the same way as MusicCast, then just forget about AirPlay. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So you think this was an electric whisker in the speaker wire, is that correct? If so that is good news.
too soon to tell yet. I'd agree with our HEOS conversation that just started here, except for that other issue of going in through the Analog Aux port with a non-streaming iPod and having the exact same thing happen with audius interuptus.

Ha, i'm pretty sure my cats' whiskers are more robust than the wire I replaced! ;)

Back to real work. If I crush this then maybe more audio work later. ;)

Continuous thanks to all helping!

ugh. too many smiley faces. sorry, but the rule of odd numbers dictates: ;) just one more. *shameless

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis