Marantz AV8805 13.2CH 4k UltraHD AV Processor Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What do you get when you mix Denon digital know-how with Marantz analog finesse? The AV8805 13.2CH AV Processor! The AV8805 boasts an audiophile grade preamp section while supporting ALL 3 immersive surround formats, 3 pairs of height channels, and flexible preamp assignability for multiple speaker configurations. All of your high-resolution music streaming needs are met thanks to full HEOS support and their related app to allow easy multi-room listening. The latest in HDMI will is HDR and Dolby Vision compatible and upgradeable to HDMI 2.1 and 8K resolution. Read on for more details on why the AV8805 should be on your short list of upscale preamp/processors.

marantz-inside.jpg

Read: Marantz AV8805 13.2CH 4k UltraHD AV Processor Preview

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Does Denon/Marantz specifically state they are using HDMI 2.1 chips? My understanding is these chip sets are not yet available...and this gear is shipping next month. Things like HLG compatibility could be a firmware upgrade (depending on the design), but true HDMI 2.1 compatibility will require new hardware across the entire signal chain (here we go again).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Does Denon/Marantz specifically state they are using HDMI 2.1 chips? My understanding is these chip sets are not yet available...and this gear is shipping next month. Things like HLG compatibility could be a firmware upgrade (depending on the design), but true HDMI 2.1 compatibility will require new hardware across the entire signal chain (here we go again).
No it will be upgradeable to HDMI 2.1 chipsets, allegedly at no cost to Marantz users who purchase from authorized dealers. I will confirm after CES for sure.

J

Justin Patel

Audiophyte
So what is the purpose of the 15.2 outputs? Can someone give me an example?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So what is the purpose of the 15.2 outputs? Can someone give me an example?
13.2? So you can run a wide range of formats. Most do not need 13 channels for the main zone ( some do) but with atmos, dtsX, Aurora and dsx there are many options for those channels.

B

boe

Audioholic
After paying $1000 per Denon AVP for the usb board upgrade and having both die shortly afterwards, I would never every buy an upgrade board from them again. I install a video card or network card or raid controller card about once per week for clients. The Marantz/Denon boards should be made as easy to install and far more affordable. Go to the forums and ask how many people had their AVP sound die after the upgrade. Not with the hassle to disconnect it, haul it to a "certified repair center", wait a week only to get it back and die shortly afterwards. I regret "upgrading my AVPs" but no regret in buying the units. I'll wait for them to sell units that fully meet the new HDMI 2.1 spec before my next purchase.

D

dave-t

Enthusiast
It is my understanding that the 2.1 chipset update is going to cost $200 unlike the upgrade in the 8802a which was free for the people in the US.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
So does anyone know if the new Top of the Line Marantz AV8805 is still processing Audyssey at 48 kHz?

I see that Emotiva took the route of Dirac at 192 kHz!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So does anyone know if the new Top of the Line Marantz AV8805 is still processing Audyssey at 48 kHz?

I see that Emotiva took the route of Dirac at 192 kHz!
My guess is, still 48 kHz. If it is, I would say they made the right choice. As there are always competing features, you can't have everything, given a budget.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
I just received confirmation from Marantz that the new Top of the Line AV8805 at over $4000 dollars! ($4,500 to be exact) will still only come with Audyssey running at 48 kHz.

Oh contraire (Where's that comment coming from? Do you get Kick-backs from Marantz or what?), Marantz has NOT made the right choice, as this current AV8801 owner will be making the jump to Emotiva (with it's Dirac Live running at 192 kHz for all channels)... and as I would imagine many current Marantz AV8801 and AV8802 owners shall do at an asking price of nearly 5Gs! Thank you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I do own the 8801 but won't switch to anything just for the higher sampling f. You go right ahead if 96 or 192 kHz is important to you.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
It isn't necessarily if something is important or not, but first and foremost if something is discernible or not. Many simply do not have the equipment (or ears) to discern any differences, and therefore by all means not needed. I happen to have the equipment (and apparently the ears) to hear both the positives that Audyssey brings to the table, as well as the negatives. I have yet to hear Audyssey running at 96 or 192, however I have heard Systems without Audyssey and then running at 48 kHz. As well I have heard competitors to Audyssey running at 96 kHz and higher, and in both cases to me it is discernible for sure. Then of course comes your point as to whether something is important (worth it) or not. This is most definitely a personal choice. However running at 96 (or 192) kHz is most definitely superior (audible), despite only slightly so. And although only slightly so, if one is upgrading to the likes of the Marantz/Emotiva/etc. (i.e. nearly 5G's), I would think that one would insist on having this processing at 96 kHz or higher (IMO). Again, for most systems out there (which are dominated by AVRs) you are probably correct, and insisting on 96 kHz processing isn't really needed, however for the rest of us... Thank goodness Emotiva is Listening!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It isn't necessarily if something is important or not, but first and foremost if something is discernible or not. Many simply do not have the equipment (or ears) to discern any differences, and therefore by all means not needed. I happen to have the equipment (and apparently the ears) to hear both the positives that Audyssey brings to the table, as well as the negatives. I have yet to hear Audyssey running at 96 or 192, however I have heard Systems without Audyssey and then running at 48 kHz. As well I have heard competitors to Audyssey running at 96 kHz and higher, and in both cases to me it is discernible for sure. Then of course comes your point as to whether something is important (worth it) or not. This is most definitely a personal choice. However running at 96 (or 192) kHz is most definitely superior (audible), despite only slightly so. And although only slightly so, if one is upgrading to the likes of the Marantz/Emotiva/etc. (i.e. nearly 5G's), I would think that one would insist on having this processing at 96 kHz or higher (IMO). Again, for most systems out there (which are dominated by AVRs) you are probably correct, and insisting on 96 kHz processing isn't really needed, however for the rest of us... Thank goodness Emotiva is Listening!
I understand your point, that's why I mentioned " given a budget..."

They listened to at least one critic and upgraded the HDAM since the 8802, even though they didn't feel it would make an audible difference by replacing that cheap opa in the 8801 with discrete components (ref hometheaterhifi article). Then they added more channels and features to cater for the latest surround codecs, Audyssey editor app compatibility, better DAC, HDCP 2.2, eARC etc. All those additions resulted in added cost. If they were to upgrade the DSPs to handle the higher sampling frequency then thet would have to forgo something else. Whether 96 kHz would result in audible superiority is controversial at best and that's the basis of my opinion.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The RMC will be the real test. If you're at all interested in 3D Audio, the XMC just ain't gonna cut it, period.

As for the sampling rate. Unless you've picked out the higher sampling rate as sounding better in a blind test or double blind test I remain skeptical at best. I've tried to blind test it and I don't think my gear is second rate, nor do I believe that my hearing is impaired in any way, and I think the differences are negligible at best when other factors are considered. In some situations it can certainly make a difference, but the dollar amount that difference equates to is a personal matter.

When the RMC comes out, we'll be able to get a real feel for the unit, sampling rate and all. However, since the MSRP on the 8805 is almost never ever paid, it'll be a little bit tougher sell for some. Either the RMC has to stand out head and shoulders above the 8805 (assuming they'll stick to that sticker price) or the street price has to at least match what you can get an 8805 for, for it to be competitive IMO.

I like the looks and features described in the RMC press releases, but the cost has to make sense and I won't pay $5000 for the RMC if it's the same or nominally better than an 8805 that you can easily get below sticker price.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
No they wouldn't :) They could, but unlike you state, they wouldn't "need to", and instead they could have simply sold it for a small additional cost (Yes 'small' given that we are already close to 5G's). However Yes, manufacturers must decide on a Price point and then march to that. Not an easy thing to do. However this is Marantz's Top-of-the-Line unit, so to your point... to have done literally everything else imaginable, and then decide to leave Audyssey processing at 48 kHz, well IMO was a BIG mistake on their part, and I have no doubt that many (who haven't already) will now be making the jump over to Emotiva (as I will no doubt be doing despite having been with Marantz for some 15+ years now). Which by the way the Emotiva RMC-1 will also be rewarding us with 3 independently controlled Subwoofer outputs, something that Gene himself will no doubt put much value on (for most rooms really do need 3 independently controlled Subwoofers in order to get the Bass right..., 'right' as in the Best that it can be / discernibly better than 2).

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
The RMC will be the real test. If you're at all interested in 3D Audio, the XMC just ain't gonna cut it, period.

As for the sampling rate. Unless you've picked out the higher sampling rate as sounding better in a blind test or double blind test I remain skeptical at best. I've tried to blind test it and I don't think my gear is second rate, nor do I believe that my hearing is impaired in any way, and I think the differences are negligible at best when other factors are considered. In some situations it can certainly make a difference, but the dollar amount that difference equates to is a personal matter.

When the RMC comes out, we'll be able to get a real feel for the unit, sampling rate and all. However, since the MSRP on the 8805 is almost never ever paid, it'll be a little bit tougher sell for some. Either the RMC has to stand out head and shoulders above the 8805 (assuming they'll stick to that sticker price) or the street price has to at least match what you can get an 8805 for, for it to be competitive IMO.

I like the looks and features described in the RMC press releases, but the cost has to make sense and I won't pay $5000 for the RMC if it's the same or nominally better than an 8805 that you can easily get below sticker price.
As you say, we really have to wait to see if Emotiva delivers, however assuming that they do... then for me the 3 independently controlled Subwoofers and the Dirac Live at 192 kHz alone is worth $1,000 bucks! For I personally value getting the Bass just right, as well I have heard the ill effects of Audyssey running at 48 kHz, and so I will not accept paying $4000 bucks for a processor that does so (or maybe it is that Audyssey simply shows the very same ill effects even when running at 96 and 192???, and maybe that's why Marantz and others haven't switched??? But then that would be even MORE the reason to go with Dirac Live :)).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As you say, we really have to wait to see if Emotiva delivers, however assuming that they do... then for me the 3 independently controlled Subwoofers and the Dirac Live at 192 kHz alone is worth $1,000 bucks! For I personally value getting the Bass just right, as well I have heard the ill effects of Audyssey running at 48 kHz, and so I will not accept paying $4000 bucks for a processor that does so (or maybe it is that Audyssey simply shows the very same ill effects even when running at 96 and 192???, and maybe that's why Marantz and others haven't switched??? But then that would be even MORE the reason to go with Dirac Live :)).
Meh. It just depends. I've been running more than 2 subs for a long time with a sampling rate greater than 48kHz for a lot less than $1000. So that "upgrade" is again debatable. Given the market that's being aimed for I would guess they're counting on people who don't want to go through the hassle, but still. That's been possible for years and relatively easy to do.

Ill effects have also been mitigated with the new Audyssey app they've added that allows you to create custom curves. Besides, I wasn't blown away with Dirac. Being able to specify your own stuff and tweak things is cool, but odds are if you are the type of person who will spend that much time and effort on it, you're likely the type that can get it done for a lot less than Dirac charges.

I would call Dirac a mixed bag and with the Audyssey app allowing you to customize bass a little bit, it levels out the playing field a lot more IMO. As for Dirac vs Audyssey in the speaker arena, a well treated room will always be better than applying EQ, at least as a starting point and often you can get excellent/equitable results just with placement and treatments.

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
Meh. It just depends. I've been running more than 2 subs for a long time with a sampling rate greater than 48kHz for a lot less than $1000. So that "upgrade" is again debatable. Given the market that's being aimed for I would guess they're counting on people who don't want to go through the hassle, but still. That's been possible for years and relatively easy to do.

Ill effects have also been mitigated with the new Audyssey app they've added that allows you to create custom curves. Besides, I wasn't blown away with Dirac. Being able to specify your own stuff and tweak things is cool, but odds are if you are the type of person who will spend that much time and effort on it, you're likely the type that can get it done for a lot less than Dirac charges.

I would call Dirac a mixed bag and with the Audyssey app allowing you to customize bass a little bit, it levels out the playing field a lot more IMO. As for Dirac vs Audyssey in the speaker arena, a well treated room will always be better than applying EQ, at least as a starting point and often you can get excellent/equitable results just with placement and treatments.
Well, first I stated that 'most rooms could use 3 Subs in order to get the Bass just right' (and so not all). 2nd I stated $1000 for BOTH the 3rd Sub -and- EQ'ng running on all channels at 96 (or higher), so in other words $500 a piece (and therefore much harder to do each for less than that, and what little less for sure doesn't offset the mess). So now that we have gotten past what I actually stated, on to your responses... 1st I have no doubt that I have gone through equal or more hassles than most :), 2nd Hmmm, YES the App may narrow the gap somewhat (I didn't think of that, Thank you!), 3rd I have already done Room Treatment (extensively so, as in whatever was needed, and NO, not overly done ;)), but my point exactly... with a System/Room doing as well as mine is, I do in fact hear the ill effects of running Audyssey at 48 kHz. What I don't know is if it is purely Audyssey itself, and therefore I'll get no better results with Audyssey running at 96 (or higher) kHz? What I do know is that having used/heard Audyssey and Audyssey's competitors running at 48, 96 and 192 khz, that without a doubt any of them running at 48 kHz has had ill effects, and that 'some' of them running at 96 khz (and higher) and setup judiciously showed none of the ill effects that I was hearing with Audyssey and others running at 48 kHz. So hence I find myself being insistent on only upgrading to a new High-End processor willing to execute at 96 kHz (or higher), and so Yes I am more than willing to pay $500+ for this (as well as another $500 in order to finally be able to get the Bass RIGHT (and as you say, with no mess :)). Here's hoping that Emotiva actually pulls off all that they have been touting to date about their RMC-1... for if (Yes, BIG 'if' I know) they do, and given ALL the new features they have included (a few of them missing from the AV8805), I will no doubt being trying my first Emotiva Preamp / Preamp Processor (for their Amps I have throughout my home, along with Marantz, Adcom, and Bryston).

Last edited:
J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
Question: Does anyone know of a single preamp processor currently running Audyssey MultEQ XT32 at 96 kHz (or higher)? I don't seem to be able to find any that do. I was hoping to ask a few questions to those who have already used a preamp processor running Audyssey at 96 kHz (or higher), however if such a preamp processor doesn't even exist, then of course I will not be able to do so. Thank you.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Question: Does anyone know of a single preamp processor currently running Audyssey MultEQ XT32 at 96 kHz (or higher)? I don't seem to be able to find any that do. I was hoping to ask a few questions to those who have already used a preamp processor running Audyssey at 96 kHz (or higher), however if such a preamp processor doesn't even exist, then of course I will not be able to do so. Thank you.
https://www.twice.com/news/audyssey-upgrades-room-correction-tech-16629

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis