Marantz av7705 or av8805?

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Decided to pull the trigger on an ATI AT525NC 5-channel Amplifier but stuck on wither to go with the Marantz AV7705 or spend the extra and jump to the AV8805. Anyone have personal experience on these and can comment of if the price difference is worth it? I've compared specs and I know the 8805 has higher quality components but to an "untrained" ear, will I even notice the difference? Only running 5.1 surround now and will possibly jump to 2 subs but that's about it. Just want to watch movies in quality surround sound and 2ch music, that's about it until a larger house permits for more speakers. Thanks everyone

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
At this level, I don't think you will hear a significant difference in SQ. Both are high quality machines, and it really comes down to what you are comfortable with. ;) Both should handle just about everything you throw at them, unless you are gunning for a 13 channel system. The room correction is the same as I have in the 6012.
Maybe some others will chime in with additional input.
Cheers!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Decided to pull the trigger on an ATI AT525NC 5-channel Amplifier but stuck on wither to go with the Marantz AV7705 or spend the extra and jump to the AV8805. Anyone have personal experience on these and can comment of if the price difference is worth it? I've compared specs and I know the 8805 has higher quality components but to an "untrained" ear, will I even notice the difference? Only running 5.1 surround now and will possibly jump to 2 subs but that's about it. Just want to watch movies in quality surround sound and 2ch music, that's about it until a larger house permits for more speakers. Thanks everyone
The ATI AT525NC is a $3300 amp. Can't go cheap on the pre-pro now. :D

I doubt if untrained ears will be able to discern between an AVR (Denon 3000s or Yamaha 1000s) vs. Separates, much less between 2 pre-pros. :D

If you are set on Marantz or Audyssey, that's fine. But if not, also check out the Yamaha CX-A5100/A5200 pre-pro. I think the built quality of the CX-5000 series is excellent and more like the AV8805 than the AV7705.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
The ATI AT525NC is a $3300 amp. Can't go cheap on the pre-pro now. :D

I doubt if untrained ears will be able to discern between an AVR (Denon 3000s or Yamaha 1000s) vs. Separates, much less between 2 pre-pros. :D

If you are set on Marantz or Audyssey, that's fine. But if not, also check out the Yamaha CX-A5100/A5200 pre-pro. I think the built quality of the CX-5000 series is excellent and more like the AV8805 than the AV7705.
I'm not necessarily stuck on the Marantz and was actually considering Yamaha as well. I'm coming from a Yamaha RX-V1800 right now and wanted to step it up a notch. Open to recommendations for sure

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not necessarily stuck on the Marantz and was actually considering Yamaha as well. I'm coming from a Yamaha RX-V1800 right now and wanted to step it up a notch. Open to recommendations for sure
If you have been using Yamaha, then I would definitely recommend the CX-A5100 or new CX-A5200 over the AV7705.

I went from the $7500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI to the Yamaha CX-A5100. I am 100% happy with the Yamaha.

But it truly comes down to personal preference.

I don't know if I will feel the same in 20 years. But for now I favor Yamaha after using Denon for the last 20 years.

Have you ever had a bad experience with any Yamaha or Yamaha service or anything related to Yamaha electronics?

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
If you have been using Yamaha, then I would definitely recommend the CX-A5100 or new CX-A5200 over the AV7705.

I went from the $7500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI to the Yamaha CX-A5100. I am 100% happy with the Yamaha.

But it truly comes down to personal preference.

I don't know if I will feel the same in 20 years. But for now I favor Yamaha after using Denon for the last 20 years.

Have you ever had a bad experience with any Yamaha or Yamaha service or anything related to Yamaha electronics?
Not at all. It was just a a recommendation from a few friends and was considering switching up. I'v always liked Yamaha and never even owned a Denon product. What's your opinion on that ATI amp though? Should rock right??

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not at all. It was just a a recommendation from a few friends and was considering switching up. I'v always liked Yamaha and never even owned a Denon product. What's your opinion on that ATI amp though? Should rock right??
Any ATI amp will rock. ATI is legendary.

The AT525NC 200WPC amp will rock.

They've made amps for probably too many amp companies. Seriously, so many companies are associated with ATI at one point and one way or another.

Theta Digital, DataSat, B&K, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Cary Audio, Adcom, Earthquake Sound, Outlaw, Monolith, and probably many others we don't even know about.

Only problem with ATI is that they are expensive and most people don't want to spend that kind of money. So people have to be more "creative" and get Outlaw, Monolith, or Adcom amps. :D

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Any ATI amp will rock. ATI is legendary.

The AT525NC 200WPC amp will rock.

They've made amps for probably too many amp companies. Seriously, so many companies are associated with ATI at one point and one way or another.

Theta Digital, DataSat, B&K, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Cary Audio, Adcom, Earthquake Sound, Outlaw, Monolith, and probably many others we don't even know about.

Only problem with ATI is that they are expensive and most people don't want to spend that kind of money. So people have to be more "creative" and get Outlaw, Monolith, or Adcom amps. :D
They are damn expensive but I want to buy something that won't need upgrading for a LONG time. I'm completely lost on the Pre-pro though now. Got a friend that will give me a smoking deal on the Marantz though and that's why I was looking at them. What if I stepped up to the AV8805 then instead of the 7705? Or you think the Yamaha's are dominant over all Marantz? Help a brotha out lol

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
There are a lot of happy customers in the av8805 thread. Probably is in a 7705 thread also if there is one :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd simply pick among the Yamaha/Marantz pre-pros based on the features/connectivity that fits best for the price you like. Really can't go wrong either way. Yamaha dominant over Marantz? That just sounds silly.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I
I'd simply pick among the Yamaha/Marantz pre-pros based on the features/connectivity that fits best for the price you like. Really can't go wrong either way. Yamaha dominant over Marantz? That just sounds silly.
Didn't think the "Dominant" statement was appropriate....just kinda threw that out there. I didn't really mean it that way but I don't have any experience with Denon/Marantz myself, just keep reading that people like their products so I'm not opposed to owning one. Just want to buy once and enjoy for years to come. That's why I'm torn and indecisive. Thanks

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I

Didn't think the "Dominant" statement was appropriate....just kinda threw that out there. I didn't really mean it that way but I don't have any experience with Denon/Marantz myself, just keep reading that people like their products so I'm not opposed to owning one. Just want to buy once and enjoy for years to come. That's why I'm torn and indecisive. Thanks
The good news is that all the Marantz/Yamaha pre-pros mentioned in this thread should work out very well, they are all quality pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Generally, it seems Yamaha gets the nod when it comes to reliability over time, but I don't know what quantification that entails. :) 7 yrs... 20 yrs...

For myself, I've been eyeballing Anthem as a possible future upgrade. Maybe will just depend on when they update their AVM60, and how much it costs when they do. The new Monolith PrePro looks promising (when it hits the market)... Also still in lust with the Emo RMC-1, but word right now still seems to be, "wait," as it tends toward some buggy functionality, as I understand. Also sounds like they are working on a downscale model of it, too, that might be more in line with the Monolith product (not expandable, but still monster.)

But Lovin' has it... you almost can't go wrong with those aforementioned options: Marantz/Yammie.

Cheers!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They are damn expensive but I want to buy something that won't need upgrading for a LONG time. I'm completely lost on the Pre-pro though now. Got a friend that will give me a smoking deal on the Marantz though and that's why I was looking at them. What if I stepped up to the AV8805 then instead of the 7705? Or you think the Yamaha's are dominant over all Marantz? Help a brotha out lol
We do things in life based on our experiences. And we all have different experiences. So we will make different decisions/choices. :D

But let's put it this way. If you were Bill Gates and you offered me a FREE CX-A5200 or a FREE AV8805, I would choose the CX-A5200.

Actually, I would ask Bill Gates for two CX-A5200. :D

If I thought the AV8805 sounds 1% better and is as reliable as the CX-A5200, I would have gotten the AV8805 for myself.

Coming from a Denon AVP-A1HDCI, you'd think I'd be getting the Marantz. But I didn't.

In my experience, just because something costs a lot more doesn't mean they will sound any better or is better made and will last longer.

Like I said, we all take different paths based on our experiences in life. And at least for now, the path for me is Yamaha. Or ATI. :D

I have the Yamaha CX-A5100, Yamaha MX-A5000, and ATI AT2005 in my system.

Now if you are thinking of spending $4K on a Pre-pro, Monolith is coming out with the HTP-1 (derived from the $10,000 DataSat LS10).

Of course, since you already have the ATI amp, you might want to wait and see what ATI does with their ATP-16 pre-pro (also from the DataSat LS10, which is owned by ATI).

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I

I've got a couple Denon avrs, they'd also make good pre-pros. If you want something that costs a bit less and has built in amplification for surrounds that your ATI can't cover, an avr isn't a bad way to go, too. I've never really considered a pre-pro/amp combo, just on cost.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
We do things in life based on our experiences. And we all have different experiences. So we will make different decisions/choices. :D

But let's put it this way. If you were Bill Gates and you offered me a FREE CX-A5200 or a FREE AV8805, I would choose the CX-A5200.

Actually, I would ask Bill Gates for two CX-A5200. :D

If I thought the AV8805 sounds 1% better and is as reliable as the CX-A5200, I would have gotten the AV8805 for myself.

Coming from a Denon AVP-A1HDCI, you'd think I'd be getting the Marantz. But I didn't.

In my experience, just because something costs a lot more doesn't mean they will sound any better or is better made and will last longer.

Like I said, we all take different paths based on our experiences in life. And at least for now, the path for me is Yamaha. Or ATI. :D

I have the Yamaha CX-A5100, Yamaha MX-A5000, and ATI AT2005 in my system.

Now if you are thinking of spending $4K on a Pre-pro, Monolith is coming out with the HTP-1 (derived from the $10,000 DataSat LS10).

Of course, since you already have the ATI amp, you might want to wait and see what ATI does with their ATP-16 pre-pro (also from the DataSat LS10, which is owned by ATI).
I don't own the ATI yet but excited to purchase it as soon as I figure out the processor

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't own the ATI yet but excited to purchase it as soon as I figure out the processor
Oh, I thought you already ordered/paid for it.

I think it will power any speaker.

What are you using now ? With what speakers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I

just keep reading that people like their products so I'm not opposed to owning one. Just want to buy once and enjoy for years to come. That's why I'm torn and indecisive. Thanks
Keep in mind that AVP/AVR owners typically promote what they own, until they run into major trouble so may be you shouldn't take too seriously. Example, @AcuDefTechGuy used to promote Denon too, until his $7,500 failed after only about 8 years (iirc).:D Yamaha reportedly has a better reliability record but their AVP has not been out for all that long yet, probably about 5-6 years. My AV8801 is 6 years old now and is still in top condition. Aside from reliability concerns, there is also obsolescence to deal with, therefore I have decided to go with a cheap mid range AVR that offers comparable feature at a much lower price. To me, it is a better way to safeguard against obsolescence. Having own two Marantz AVP already, I can always say, been there, done that, after going back to something more reasonable and practical.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Oh, I thought you already ordered/paid for it.

I think it will power any speaker.

What are you using now ? With what speakers?
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1800 and Klipsch Reference series RF-82 dual 8" towers for front, RC-62 center, RS-52 rears and RSW-10 sub(which will be upgraded sooner than later) Stepping up to the 4k world and bought a Sony 75" 900F and want to modernize the HT electronics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis