Marantz av10 vs anthem 90

P

philly

Audioholic Intern
I didn't dig into the flexibility of the amp assigment, but doubt it's all that advanced from previous iterations from D&M units. Dynamic range increase, can you point us to that what you "heard"? Mostly the "bi-amp" feature on an an avr as well as the terminals on a speaker are far more about marketing (with minimal benefit, if any). Generally if you need a better/bigger/more capable amp then just do that.
Makes sense thanks!

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Makes sense thanks!
I'd run LC(C)R in bridged mode on the AMP10 - you'll still have plenty of channels left.

Also, for two centers, you can use the custom amp assign and route a "copy" of the center channel to pretty much any channel you want and then just use the L or R of that channel. e.g. if you don't have rear heights, you can route your center to the rear heights in the AV10 and then just use L or R output from AV10 to the AMP10. On the AV10, you can bridge (BTL) that second center channel as well and still have 10 channels left on the AMP10 for your remaining speakers. A simpler approach would be to just use an XLR Y cable - which would work just fine as well IMO.

You have four subwoofer outputs so your two subs should be in good shape. I wouldn't bother with directional bass if you have the choice in the menus.

P

philly

Audioholic Intern
I'd run LC(C)R in bridged mode on the AMP10 - you'll still have plenty of channels left.

Also, for two centers, you can use the custom amp assign and route a "copy" of the center channel to pretty much any channel you want and then just use the L or R of that channel. e.g. if you don't have rear heights, you can route your center to the rear heights in the AV10 and then just use L or R output from AV10 to the AMP10. On the AV10, you can bridge (BTL) that second center channel as well and still have 10 channels left on the AMP10 for your remaining speakers. A simpler approach would be to just use an XLR Y cable - which would work just fine as well IMO.

You have four subwoofer outputs so your two subs should be in good shape. I wouldn't bother with directional bass if you have the choice in the menus.
I'm sorry if I misled you, I just have one center that is biampable

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
I'm sorry if I misled you, I just have one center that is biampable
LOL - you didn't mislead me. I'm apparently becoming dyslexic the older I get.

I stand by the suggestion to run LCR in BTL on the AMP10. :) Enjoy.

P

philly

Audioholic Intern
LOL - you didn't mislead me. I'm apparently becoming dyslexic the older I get.

I stand by the suggestion to run LCR in BTL on the AMP10. :) Enjoy.
No worries, trust me at my age my short-term memory is shot too!! Thanks I'll take under advisement what you said. Probably not a big difference for the better.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry if this is not on topic, but I do own the Marantz av10 and amp10. I'm told I can only biamp my two front floor speakers.
As I responded in post#32, and HD's post#35, you can bi-amp any channel you want as long as you have the spare power amp channels. In re-reading your post, I realized you may be referring to the AV10, not the AMP10. If that is the case then I think you may be talking about the AV10's bi-amp assignment feature, that allows you to b-amp the front left and front right channels without using a splitter.

It is just a convenient feature, it is nice that they do the split internally via relays, but electrically speaking it is the same as using an external splitter.

As HD said:

"you could do it to any pair of channels (or just the center channel) by splitting the signal from the appropriate pre-outs before sending it to your amp."

Electrically, therefore sonically, the results will be the same as the AV10's front L/R channel bi-amp assignment feature. Marantz did not offer the same feature for the other channels most likely because of the associated cost and complexity of just a convenient feature that very few people would use anyway, so it makes sense to not force every user to pay so much more for things they don't need, or won't ever use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis