Marantz av10 vs anthem 90

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I'll have to check that out. I know with this xbox series x the audio engineers don't get enough credit with the hardware in this system. Lol I know it seems silly just using the system partially for crappy tv apps she likes, but she's grown to love the system and can't stand tv speakers anymore.
The Xbox is great to pair with a top-of-the-line AVR -- you get native Dolby Atmos mixes in game, ,Dolby Vision HDR, and 4K120. It's a match made in heaven!

(eagerly awaiting my Integra DRX-8.4)

E

EBN

Audioholic
The comparison of the AVM 90 and the Marantz AV10 will make more sense once you see the AVM 90 measurements and compare them to Gene’s of the Marantz AV 10. These two flagships are designed with upgraded audio circuitry and we have the measurements to compare.

@PENG is going to be happy to see AVM90 measurements! :p Amir has also AVM90 and AV10 reviews coming. Now we just need for Yamaha to join the battle with brand new 15.4 pre/pro!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The comparison of the AVM 90 and the Marantz AV10 will make more sense once you see the AVM 90 measurements and compare them to Gene’s of the Marantz AV 10. These two flagships are designed with upgraded audio circuitry and we have the measurements to compare.

@PENG is going to be happy to see AVM90 measurements! :p Amir has also AVM90 and AV10 reviews coming. Now we just need for Yamaha to join the battle with brand new 15.4 pre/pro!
I listened hard to the 90 and could not hear a single reason to pay even $1000 for it over the 70, let alone $4000. If I did, I would have bought it instead of the 70 for sure.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
I'm optimistic that we're getting to a level of transparency with these AVPs that its down to features, aesthetics, and which room correction you prefer. It's a nice place to be compared to 2 years ago.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm optimistic that we're getting to a level of transparency with these AVPs that its down to features, aesthetics, and which room correction you prefer. It's a nice place to be compared to 2 years ago.
Agreed, in this example, I do think the AVM90 is a reasonably deal (though for C$4,000 more than the 70's, some may say it is not too reasonable:)) for what they put into it, just that for sound quality only, I just don't see how it can do better than the AVM70. I know Theo though the 90 sounded much better than the 60 but a) He probably has golden ears, b) the 60 measured not too bad, but bad relative to many Denon and Marantz units measured on ASR and Audioholics, so it is at least believable that the 90's advantages over the 60 were audible, at least to him.

You had the 8805 and AV10 long enough now, would you say in 2 channel direct mode with no dsp used at all, the AV10 still sounds better to you? I know you would be going by memory and sighted comparison listening, but I am still curious to know.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Agreed, in this example, I do think the AVM90 is a reasonably deal (though for C$4,000 more than the 70's, some may say it is not too reasonable:)) for what they put into it, just that for sound quality only, I just don't see how it can do better than the AVM70. I know Theo though the 90 sounded much better than the 60 but a) He probably has golden ears, b) the 60 measured not too bad, but bad relative to many Denon and Marantz units measured on ASR and Audioholics, so it is at least believable that the 90's advantages over the 60 were audible, at least to him.

You had the 8805 and AV10 long enough now, would you say in 2 channel direct mode with no dsp used at all, the AV10 still sounds better to you? I know you would be going by memory and sighted comparison listening, but I am still curious to know.
I had a completely different set up then as well, as you probably recall, Peng. A couple of different amps, different sources, etc.

That said, I think the AV10 sounds better to me overall. However, I really do not hear a difference in Pure Direct (which does not have a pure analog passthrough) on the AV10 vs. Pure Direct on the 8805A. In fact, I don't even hear a difference with the AV10 in Pure Direct vs. either a DMP-A6ME or SACD 30n into an AMP10 direct. But my 8805A recollections are pretty dusty by now...

I'm sure Anthem will measure well and sound fantastic. Again, its just a nice time to be into this hobby as it has recovered from the AKM fire and pandemic quite nicely.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
in Pure Direct (which does not have a pure analog passthrough) on the AV10 vs. Pure Direct on the 8805A.
Are you sure about that, who said so? If that is true, then the AV10, and by extension, the Denon A1H would have broken their traditional stand, that in pure direct mode, even just direct mode, when analog inputs are used, there would be no A to D conversion.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Are you sure about that, who said so? If that is true, then the AV10, and by extension, the Denon A1H would have broken their traditional stand, that in pure direct mode, even just direct mode, when analog inputs are used, there would be no A to D conversion.
I'm actually not sure about it. It was a discussion on AVS that the AV10 does not have a pure analog pasthrough any more but still go through ADC, even if DSP functions are disabled. But even if that is true, I don't hear a difference. If D&M would confirm one way or the other it would make some folks feel better. I for one don't care as the thing sounds fantastic.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm actually not sure about it. It was a discussion on AVS that the AV10 does not have a pure analog pasthrough any more but still go through ADC, even if DSP functions are disabled. But even if that is true, I don't hear a difference. If D&M would confirm one way or the other it would make some folks feel better. I for one don't care as the thing sounds fantastic.
It is possible that they have upgraded the ADC chip, it used to be one that has relatively low spec.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can understand WHY some people may think this way, which is not the first time.

The reason some people say this is because with Marantz/Denon, even in Pure Direct mode, you can still get LFE/Sub output!

For example, for Yamaha, when you use Pure Direct, you absolutely cannot get any LFE/Sub output.

But....thanks to my Karaoke singing :D, I can prove that this is NOT TRUE with what some people say about Denon/Marantz.

For Karaoke, I have to send audio from my PC to the Yamaha Mixer first, then to the AVR. In Stereo Mode, Straight Mode or in any other modes besides Direct/Pure Direct, this will cause additional processing which causes a DELAY IN SOUND by a second. In Direct modes, there is no additional processing and no delay in sound at all - PASSTHROUGH.

That's how I know that the PD mode in Denon/Marantz is truly passthrough with no additional processing/conversion.

PD mode w/ LFE + DEQ are the 2 features I miss about Denon/Marantz.

It's Karaoke tonight! :D

Last edited:
P

philly

Audioholic Intern
Sorry if this is not on topic, but I do own the Marantz av10 and amp10. I'm told I can only biamp my two front floor speakers. I have a 5.2.2 configuration [all beefy B&W]. Can anyone tell me what I need to do or if I can add a separate amplifier to biamp my center and surrounds [which are actually bookshelf speakers]?? thank you!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm told I can only biamp my two front floor speakers.
Who told you that? Beware of the internet talks/hearsay! If you have the amp10 and have spare channels, then you can bi-amp any channels you want. However, in the unlikely event, if whoever told you that does have the evidence to support his claim, then please post his source so we can all learn something about the 16 channel Amp10's unique feature (that is, only if it is true)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry if this is not on topic, but I do own the Marantz av10 and amp10. I'm told I can only biamp my two front floor speakers. I have a 5.2.2 configuration [all beefy B&W]. Can anyone tell me what I need to do or if I can add a separate amplifier to biamp my center and surrounds [which are actually bookshelf speakers]?? thank you!
Which B&W speakers ?

Did they say you SHOULD only bi-amp the front 2 speakers or CAN only?

P

philly

Audioholic Intern
Which B&W speakers ?

Did they say you SHOULD only bi-amp the front 2 speakers or CAN only?
Thanks for responding guys. Guy at Crutchfield said no, the guy I hired to install it said no, 1 Marantz rep said no one said yes so I'm really confused! I also have two surrounds, two Heights and two subs with balanced outputs. They said it was okay too but I only had enough to bi amp the fronts. I really just want to buy at my Center since it's a beefy Bowers 71 s3.
Thoughts or advice on how to do it??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for responding guys. Guy at Crutchfield said no, the guy I hired to install it said no, 1 Marantz rep said no one said yes so I'm really confused! I also have two surrounds, two Heights and two subs with balanced outputs. They said it was okay too but I only had enough to bi amp the fronts. I really just want to buy at my Center since it's a beefy Bowers 71 s3.
While I think passive bi-amping is a waste of wire.....you could do it to any pair of channels (or just the center channel) by splitting the signal from the appropriate pre-outs before sending it to your amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They meant that they wouldn’t do it.

And most people wouldn’t do it because PASSIVE biamp is viewed by many people to be a total waste of time.

And that your center and surrounds aren’t big enough to really need or should be bi-amp.

That center has 3 x 5” drivers w/ a power handling of 30W-200W, so I wouldn’t call it “beefy”.

IMO, beefy would be at least dual 10” woofers or especially dual 12” woofers.

But you can bi-amp. Just get a Y-cable/splitter to split the Center into 2 lines to feed 2 CH of amps.

P

philly

Audioholic Intern
While I think passive bi-amping is a waste of wire.....you could do it to any pair of channels (or just the center channel) by splitting the signal from the appropriate pre-outs before sending it to your amp.
Do I have enough outputs on the preamp to go directly to the amp for the center? (Rather than splitting the signal?)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do I have enough outputs on the preamp to go directly to the amp for the center? (Rather than splitting the signal?)
You only have one pre-out for center....why would there be two? All the L/R "bi-amp" thing your pre-pro provides for is basically an internal splitter/channel assignment thing.....

ps If it has both an xlr and rca pre-out for center, and the amp can do both xlr and rca simultaneously, maybe?

pps Why do you want / feel the need to bi-amp?

P

philly

Audioholic Intern
You only have one pre-out for center....why would there be two? All the L/R "bi-amp" thing your pre-pro provides for is basically an internal splitter/channel assignment thing.....

ps If it has both an xlr and rca pre-out for center, and the amp can do both xlr and rca simultaneously, maybe?

pps Why do you want / feel the need to bi-amp?
Well I thought with the extra channels out of the preamp you could assign whichever ones you wanted to send to the amp. and I've heard since the center is capable of biamping it gives it a better dynamic range, so I figured why not use it if I have it??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I thought with the extra channels out of the preamp you could assign whichever ones you wanted to send to the amp. and I've heard since the center is capable of biamping it gives it a better dynamic range, so I figured why not use it if I have it??
I didn't dig into the flexibility of the amp assigment, but doubt it's all that advanced from previous iterations from D&M units. Dynamic range increase, can you point us to that what you "heard"? Mostly the "bi-amp" feature on an an avr as well as the terminals on a speaker are far more about marketing (with minimal benefit, if any). Generally if you need a better/bigger/more capable amp then just do that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis