Marantz AV 10 15.4CH AV Processor Bench Test Results!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ummm...I used the word scientific (or specifically, "unscientific") in jest and didn't mean to conflate anything or insult anybody. That said, my undergrad degree is in Computer Science and the only difference I feel between my many electrical engineering friends and I is that they were smart enought to matriculate all of that math I had to take into a EE degree. (read: I wish I had picked up my EE....albeit, CS hasn't been terrible to me). :)
My wife is also CS. My brother is EE.

T

tonyE

Junior Audioholic
LOL.... I did Physics, Math and Computer Science. Back in the day when CS was all still a math offshoot, numerical analysis, and stuff that eventually became Computer Engineering.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Marantz Amp 10 (MSRP: $7,000) is a 200 watt x 16CH amplifier that utilizes the latest ICE Edge Class D topology with a custom built SMPS regulated power supply. I put the Amp 10 through our exhaustive bench tests to see how it performs in both power capability and quality of amplification. I was pleasantly surprised with the low noise and distortion and how it was able to manage to hit rated power in my power sweep testing with up to 7 channels driven. We discuss usage cases for bridging the Amp 10 if you don't need all 16 channels in your Immersive Audio speaker set up. Could this be the best value in a single box high channel count amplifier?

View attachment 62142

Read: Marantz 10 16CH Amplifier Test Report
“The Marantz AV 10 is a 200 watt/ch 16CH audio amplifier” in the EXECUTIVE OVERVIEW SECTION.

Gene, little typo very first sentence. Should be “AMP 10”.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. I only have two 20a outlets and each AMP10 is connected to them.
That should be fine, 20 A outlets, according to code, can be used for 16 A load (the so call 80% load). That's for "continuous", literally continuous! Gene mentioned 25 A needed for 7 channels bridged (2800 W), but that's again, for continuous load such as baseboard heaters. You/We don't listen to continuous sine waves, we should be more concerned about peak power requirements, and for peaks, the 20 A outlet can handle much more than 20 A, depending on the duration, multiples more.

1685455819124.png

And here is one from a piano concerto I am listening to:
Still nothing like a continuous sine wave, and better than piano solo.

1685459139741.png

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
So Gene, what do you make of the AMP10 review by your associate (Jason?) where he thought the AMP10 sounded tight up top vs. a 2-channel amp (also with ICE modules in it). I beleive he also had the same Perlisten speakers. Are you hearing that? Someone else in this thread is claiming that the ICE modules sound tighter/compressed up top. I know I'm asking for a subjective opinion....which is why my next question is: do the bench numbers support such a claim? What would the average schmuck like me look for in the data that could explain such differences up top?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So Gene, what do you make of the AMP10 review by your associate (Jason?) where he thought the AMP10 sounded tight up top vs. a 2-channel amp (also with ICE modules in it). I beleive he also had the same Perlisten speakers. Are you hearing that? Someone else in this thread is claiming that the ICE modules sound tighter/compressed up top. I know I'm asking for a subjective opinion....which is why my next question is: do the bench numbers support such a claim? What would the average schmuck like me look for in the data that could explain such differences up top?
This amp sounds great to my ears. I'm not sure why Shane Lee thought it sounded rolled off. My measurements and listening tests don't concur with that opinion.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
This amp sounds great to my ears. I'm not sure why Shane Lee thought it sounded rolled off. My measurements and listening tests don't concur with that opinion.
Oh yea...Shane (sorry about that). It was surprising to me since he compared a 2-channel ICE amp using same modules if I recall correctly.

I admit that I've compared to my NC400 amp when first got the AMP10 and thought they sounded more open up top than the AMP10 but that was in unbridged mode and I cannot remember how many channels driven. I've reached the conclusion that I might be hearing differences just based on how my speakers perform from one amp to next. ....or at least that is what I keep telling myself to justify the expense of a set of Perlistens. lol

All in all, they sound very clean and transparent to me. I appreciate your measurements and perspective on them.

Last edited:
F

FooNer

Audiophyte
Hi, thank you for the fabolous bench testing of Marantz AV 10. I am missing one important point before I enter the purchase button - what is the impedance of the headphone output? It is a separate HP amp of high quality? Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi, thank you for the fabolous bench testing of Marantz AV 10. I am missing one important point before I enter the purchase button - what is the impedance of the headphone output? It is a separate HP amp of high quality? Thanks.
I would be interested to know that too and hopefully Gene can get the info from his contact at Masimo. If I were to go by the block diagrams of the older models such as the AV8805 and AV7705, it would either be tapped off the HDAM outputs, or an opamp.

So, whether you can call it "high quality" or not would depend on your definition of high quality. The output impedance should be quite low as that's typically the case for OPAs. It should be very close to being as good as the quality of the preamp outputs.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
I just got around to running Dirac since the latest firmware update and can confirmed the fixed the speaker distance issue. However, when I toggle Dirac on/off, I'm convinced that Center Spread is not working with Dirac. The sound collapses into the center with Dirac and when turned off the sound is clearly spread to mains. Can someone try this and tell me if they think Center Spread is working with Dirac enabled?

A

Arthur Watson

Enthusiast
I only have one 7705, the others are older, in a 3.1 and a 2.1 system. The older units are working fine with those.

The only issue that is a negative, is that AV 10 does not look as if it is rack mountable. That is a big deal. Equipment in that price range and sophistication needs to be rack mountable.
I thought the same. Rack Mountable?. I run the Marantz 7 and 5 channel amps, but running easy to drive Klipsch floor standers for front/sides/ rear, changing would be little advantage for me. This new amp, looks a cracking bit of equipment though.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
I thought the same. Rack Mountable?. I run the Marantz 7 and 5 channel amps, but running easy to drive Klipsch floor standers for front/sides/ rear, changing would be little advantage for me. This new amp, looks a cracking bit of equipment though.
I used to think that as I routinely have rack mounted my various D&M AVP/AVRs over the years. With the AV10/AMP10, I'm using Navpoint rackmount shelves and they work perfectly and frankly is a hell of a lot easier than racking with rack ears on these beasts. So don't let the lack of a rack mount kit deter you if you're seriously considering this setup. It's a nothing burger at this point - buy the shelves - sit the AV10 and AMP10 on said shelves - listen, watch, and be happy. :)

Last edited:
M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
I just got around to running Dirac since the latest firmware update and can confirmed the fixed the speaker distance issue. However, when I toggle Dirac on/off, I'm convinced that Center Spread is not working with Dirac. The sound collapses into the center with Dirac and when turned off the sound is clearly spread to mains. Can someone try this and tell me if they think Center Spread is working with Dirac enabled?
So I just figured out why center spread wasn't working (or so I thought). It appears the feature is not available with 2-channel DSD64 - the option isn't even available under the Audio menu. So I guess I learned something new....center spread is not an available option for DSD audio.

K

kostas999

Audiophyte
If its only 145W in 7 channels, how much can deliver in 16 ? Supposed that you give a LOT of money to drive all your speakers. Ether else take 2 Musical Fidelity M6x 250.7 channel with less money and drive all speakers with 250W ! Really cant understand the price point of this machine.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
If its only 145W in 7 channels, how much can deliver in 16 ? Supposed that you give a LOT of money to drive all your speakers. Ether else take 2 Musical Fidelity M6x 250.7 channel with less money and drive all speakers with 250W ! Really cant understand the price point of this machine.
Yes well, the subjective measure of "value" and the objective measurements of Watts and Channels, frequently don't align!!

Plenty of people pay well over the odds for "bling" which I personally don't value very much...

On the other hand this is a high performance power amp... without any serious flaws... so it will come down to what one values!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yes well, the subjective measure of "value" and the objective measurements of Watts and Channels, frequently don't align!!

Plenty of people pay well over the odds for "bling" which I personally don't value very much...

On the other hand this is a high performance power amp... without any serious flaws... so it will come down to what one values!
Although I agree with you about it being a high performance amp and also about it getting old when people complain about pricing

I must respectfully say some buyers in some rooms would have a valid concern about this question. If it is 7×145 how much is it driving into 16 channels how stable is it then into 4ohm loads

In big theater rooms and big systems that can push a lottof SPL with a lottof power I can see this being a concern

But your right in that it is a fine amp definetly state of the art

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If its only 145W in 7 channels, how much can deliver in 16 ?
This is what @gene wrote:

“Whether the Amp 10 was driving 1CH or 7CH, it produced 215wpc at 0.1% THD+N and 226wpc at 1% THD+N at 8 ohms. This exceeds the 200-watt power rating by Marantz.”

So if fully driven to 7CH, it will output 226W x 7CH at 8 ohms.

Since nobody has actually tested 16CH ACD (limitations of equipment), we don’t know what that is, as you and others say.

It would be cool if they made the AMP10 as 2 separate amps inside one chassis with 2 separate power cords. You could test each of the 8CH ACD?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This is what @gene wrote:

“Whether the Amp 10 was driving 1CH or 7CH, it produced 215wpc at 0.1% THD+N and 226wpc at 1% THD+N at 8 ohms. This exceeds the 200-watt power rating by Marantz.”

So if fully driven to 7CH, it will output 226W x 7CH at 8 ohms.

Since nobody has actually tested 16CH ACD (limitations of equipment), we don’t know what that is, as you and others say.

It would be cool if they made the AMP10 as 2 separate amps inside one chassis with 2 separate power cords. You could test each of the 8CH ACD?
People who actually need (or simply assume they need..)ACD capability regardless of the total number of channels should build their own and be sure to have the house wiring capable of delivering the juice and meeting local codes.

The vast majority (99% or more) of applications don't need such capability. Manufacturers are doing the right thing not implementing gigantic 150 lbs AVRs or amps just to keep a few people happy and force the added costs, real estate, and probably reinforced support structure, to 99% of the users who don't have such requirements.:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
People who actually need (or simply assume they need..)ACD capability regardless of the total number of channels should build their own and be sure to have the house wiring capable of delivering the juice and meeting local codes.

The vast majority (99% or more) of applications don't need such capability. Manufacturers are doing the right thing not implementing gigantic 150 lbs AVRs or amps just to keep a few people happy and force the added costs, real estate, and probably reinforced support structure, to 99% of the users who don't have such requirements.:D
Manufacturers are doing the right thing not implementing gigantic 150 lbs AVRs or amps

And here I was thinking you were a true Audioholic ;) :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis