ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I like your speaker story arc better.
Aww, shucks. *blushes

Come to AH for some Lessons. Stay for the Friends and Stories! ;)

None of what I did would have happened without some well placed advice from a few nice people I met here! :cool:
What sounds good?
I'll take two Phils.
The end.
Don't forget the three BMRs and the pair of Mini Phils! :p

... and then the only upgrade worth considering from an affordability stand point is DIY.
Ain't life a b!tch.
The only problem there is that Salk finishes only come from Salk. It took me a while to stop being ridiculously impressed by the ST's
True... but Veneer and Dying can be learned!

I'm starting my first two woodworking projects soon, to get me ready for the cabinet building. An Audio Rack, and a Bookshelf to replace the Drafting Table (as a cat bed! (really. (straight up serious... its mostly a cat bed. (I have to ask them to use it for its intended purpose.))) It will straddle my Subwoofer but not come out into the room so far that it creates the diffraction of the Drafting Table. (which difrats a metric fu¢kton!)).
But I will be veneering them, and dying them, both!

I can only imagine the level of appreciation you have for that bright blue of the Phils.
The Blue Phil3s are stunning. I am still grateful for everything that went into them, from Dennis to Jim, and all the minions involved.

Now to learn to do it myself!

;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If the $750 includes shipping, I will take it!
Despite me wanting to keep it, the timing on selling the amp is good for me and at the moment I have a couple of MA700 monoblocks sitting unused within arm's reach for the DIY subs. The RX-V2600 doesn't need any help with the MBOW1s either, so yeah ... PM me an address and a preferred shipping method.

Your generosity in the past gets this deal closed without a peep of haggling. You getting it back without added expense is just desserts. Me getting to use it these last 7 years for the price of shipping has been my pleasure. I'm gonna miss the bad @ss blue light but your prior generosity being the very reason you enjoy affordable amplification now is oddly satisfying. Congrats! :)

I had this thing all packed up when I listed it in the classifieds a few years ago. I guess packing it up again is still better than driving to Maryland, right? Okay, that means I'm off to Eddy's to box this up after I get the Mantown rig Marantzed up.

I've got this dog to deal with though ...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Monday morning, 4 days after the "puking affront", I finally started feeling normal again. I had a full night's sleep, and was actually hungry this morning. I even drank 2 cups of coffee :), after having none since last Thursday. Even yesterday, I couldn't handle that.

I'll never know whether I had food poisoning or one of those nasty rotaviruses. (Edit: For the record, my wife claims it was probably norovirus, not rotavirus. I'm not arguing.) I'm guessing virus because it was intense but over fast, in one day. The 3 day recovery was longer. Bacterial food poisoning can often result in hospitalization to treat severe dehydration. Thankfully I didn't have that.

Thanks to Alex, KEW, Pogre, GO-NAD!, ryanosaur, everettT, afterlife2, and all the others I've enjoyed reading in the past few days. It really helped take my mind off my own misery.

Alex, your photos, even of wiring & banana plugs, are fascinating and entertaining. I haven't done anything different to my system in years, other than replacing the STs with the Veracity STs. My speakers cables, still green/black, now that they've finally been burned in ;).

I do have to investigate and fix whatever is funking up my TV antenna and/or connection, but it will require a lengthy visit to the attic. The video signal goes in & out causing the picture & sound to momentarily pixilate and/or break up. I've replaced the F connector where the antenna line joins the TV, but that didn't fix the problem. I'll have to see if I need to replace the whole antenna line, or the antenna itself.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Now we are getting some real mantown pics. Keeping coming, pics that is.
I'll set up the camera on the tri-pod and use Imgur as the phone pics need to be edited in due to my lack of tech fu.

Veneer and Dying can be learned!
Yeah but that's still not finish.

Don't forget the three BMRs and the pair of Mini Phils!
How could I? You went all in pretty quick. I got to looking around at the pics a little closer this AM. That sideways BMR center has to be something else. They don't look that big like everyone says but your screen may be huge, throwing off the scale.

My speakers cables, still green/black, now that they've finally been burned in ;).
Hilarious. Anything to do with wire tweaks cracks me up.

When you're ready for wire that goes to eleven, I'm your man.

I'm glad the pics are going over well. The positive feedback keeps me motivated to like finally finish this thing. I have to pull everything away from the wall anyways to access wiring now that I'm not bi-amping but this dog and this holiday are keeping me from speakering hard.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
but this dog and this holiday are keeping me from speakering hard.
Is that anything like adulting? ;)

tv is 49”... small room, about 15’ front to back. I sit about 7.5’ back from the speakers... ~9.5 from the tv.

Dennis measured the center and says it performs very well on its side. I’m going to stand it upright though when I get the equipment off the front wall. Upright will always be better!
I’ll be able to lower the tv a little too.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is that anything like adulting?
That's where I borrowed the form from. Butchering a language don't bother me. :D

So here's Kurts's amp yanked:

The relief amps being rounded up:

The 3 splitters that are about to turn into 1 splitter:

Random rack shot:

Still no top.

EDIT:

More Dear Diary:

What can I say? I like wood.

I had big plans for that wood which turned out to be a lesson in what not to do from a design standpoint.

Now I don't know where to put it. :D

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'll never know whether I had food poisoning or one of those nasty rotaviruses. (Edit: For the record, my wife claims it was probably norovirus, not rotavirus. I'm not arguing.) I'm guessing virus because it was intense but over fast, in one day. The 3 day recovery was longer. Bacterial food poisoning can often result in hospitalization to treat severe dehydration. Thankfully I didn't have that.
Unless you take a test you won't ever know, but don't try blame your wife's cooking :eek:

One common difference in symptoms norovirus and rotavirus is that norovirus often have a sudden onset of feeling ill (i.e. puke all over)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
One common difference in symptoms norovirus and rotavirus is that norovirus often have a sudden onset of feeling ill (i.e. puke all over)
Yes to sudden onset, and yes to surprising intensity. The next morning, the bathroom looked like it had been hit by a "puke grenade".

Rotavirus tends to be common in small infants and their parents. Most adults have immunity from prior infections when they were younger. Norovirus cares little of your age and can hit again & again.

It's over, past, water under the bridge. I'm trying my best to forget it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Whatever it was, glad you're feeling better. I've been sick like that maybe 3 or 4 times. One of them still stands out as one of the worst days I ever lived through in my life. It was awful. I honest to god found myself wishing for death to just take me and get it over with, lol.

*Edit: That one time ended with me in the hospital, dangerously dehydrated. Sucked down more than 2 bags of fluids via IV.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Whatever it was, glad you're feeling better. I've been sick like that maybe 3 or 4 times. One of them still stands out as one of the worst days I ever lived through in my life. It was awful. I honest to god found myself wishing for death to just take me and get it over with, lol.

*Edit: That one time ended with me in the hospital, dangerously dehydrated. Sucked down more than 2 bags of fluids via IV.
BT,DT. I had my sickest-ever experience (food poisoning) in the start of a Summer Session of college where I ended up laying (literally did not have the energy to stand) in the hall shower naked with stuff coming out both ends and the shower running to help wash it down. Natch, everybody had to go back and get their friends so they could "come see" and "Eeew gross!". I just weakly chuckled with them!
Other than a bit of embarrassment, it really was a good way to get to know people as several asked if I needed anything or if I wanted them to call 911 and checked on me periodically to make sure I wasn't drowned in my own puke/feces! Also, the next day I had several "strangers" telling me I still looked a little pale, or that they were glad to see me upright!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

A chef/mentor once asked a room of 30+ people in discussion about food safety, "who here has had food poisoning?" 75-85% of the group raised their hands. "I figured as much," he said. He asked a few people that raised their hands what their symptoms were... they answered, and he shot them down... going on to ask after whittling the "positives" down to about 7-10: "OK, of you guys with your hands still up, were you hospitalized? If you had a gun in the nightstand beside you, would you have chosen to end it?"
Only three left their hands up at that point, to which he said, "you guys had food poisoning."

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A chef/mentor once asked a room of 30+ people in discussion about food safety, "who here has had food poisoning?" 75-85% of the group raised their hands. "I figured as much," he said. He asked a few people that raised their hands what their symptoms were... they answered, and he shot them down... going on to ask after whittling the "positives" down to about 7-10: "OK, of you guys with your hands still up, were you hospitalized? If you had a gun in the nightstand beside you, would you have chosen to end it?"
Only three left their hands up at that point, to which he said, "you guys had food poisoning."
For real. I wanted to die. What sucked so much worse was we were camping and 2 hours from the nearest small town with a hospital. My wife was driving and had to stop every ten minutes for me to... evacuate. I remember hunching over beside my truck thinking, "Just do it. If this is the end, do it now. I don't want to live anymore...".

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The only problem there is that Salk finishes only come from Salk. It took me a while to stop being ridiculously impressed by the ST's. I can only imagine the level of appreciation you have for that bright blue of the Phils.
True... but Veneer and Dying can be learned
Yeah but that's still not finish.
This is Jim Salk's idea of finish: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=147457.0.
He said:
We use ICA poly sealer (FP272), spraying multiple coats until we are able to sand it flat without sand-throughs or grain showing. Sometimes this can be 12-15 coats. For our standard topcoat, we use about 5 coats of M.L. Campbell high gloss Magnamax pre-cat lacquer, sanding out dust particles between coats. We then shoot a final coat of satin Magnamax. We then take a very fine sandpaper and remove any remaining dust particles we find and shoot straight lacquer thinner with a retarder added. This re-melts the surface to remove any sanding marks left over.​

This is just the basic finish, not the extra cost hand rubbed glossy finish.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
BT,DT. I had my sickest-ever experience (food poisoning) in the start of a Summer Session of college where I ended up laying (literally did not have the energy to stand) in the hall shower naked with stuff coming out both ends and the shower running to help wash it down. Natch, everybody had to go back and get their friends so they could "come see" and "Eeew gross!". I just weakly chuckled with them!
Other than a bit of embarrassment, it really was a good way to get to know people as several asked if I needed anything or if I wanted them to call 911 and checked on me periodically to make sure I wasn't drowned in my own puke/feces! Also, the next day I had several "strangers" telling me I still looked a little pale, or that they were glad to see me upright!
Eeew!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis